Community discussions

MikroTik App

oguruma
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

CapsMan on one of the APs?

Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:00 pm

Assuming some Cap/Wap ACs are the only MT devices on a network, is it adviseable to use one of the CAPs as the CapsMan? Or is it better to add a separate device?

Ca6ko

Re: CapsMan on one of the APs?

Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:10 pm

Of course you can run the capsman on the access point.
I sometimes do this on the only access point on the network so that there is pseudo roaming between interfaces 2,4 and 5

oguruma
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Fri Jul 22, 2022 4:31 am

One thing I didn't think about is how do I configure the datapath?

All of the APs are connected to a single PoE switch. When I've played with CapsMan in the path I set the datapath to go through the bridge interface, but that was when the Caps were connected to the MT router's switch ports...

Now, the CapsMan AP is basically a "peer" on the same switch as the rest of the Caps.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jul 22, 2022 7:16 am

IMO capsman forwarding has some edge benefits and if one doesn't know which one to choose it's better to go with local forwarding. It's easier on resources for one thing.

erlinden
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:37 am

I sometimes do this on the only access point on the network so that there is pseudo roaming between interfaces 2,4 and 5
What do you expect from pseudo roaming? As far as I know only the wifiwave2 package has some advantages in regards to roaming (CAPsMAN definitely doesn't have any).

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jul 22, 2022 3:22 pm

I prefer not run caps-man on a cap.

Usually I run it on the router with local forwarding and client to client forwarding on. This makes it easier to work with as the caps are working like normal access points. So when I have to replace them... Other APs need only have the VLANs added to their configs.

A month ago I had a router blow out. The ISP gave the client a gateway. So all the caps just sat there. Fortunately the crs on site survived. Loaded up the caps man config from a router back up to the switch. All the caps came right back on. Went back out as soon as I had a replacement router. But ended up leaving caps-man running on the switch.

But as to others... Roaming... I manually set the channels and power levels. Then I have an access list that kicks clients off at -88dB.

biomesh
Long time Member
Long time Member

Fri Jul 22, 2022 3:48 pm

Capsman also has the ability to set multiple capsman managers:
When the list of available CAPsMANs is built, CAP selects a CAPsMAN based on the following rules:

if caps-man-names parameter specifies allowed manager names (/system identity of CAPsMAN), CAP will prefer the CAPsMAN that is earlier in the list, if list is empty it will connect to any available Manager
suitable Manager with MAC layer connectivity is preferred to Manager with IP connectivity
https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/pages/vi ... Connection

oguruma
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Fri Jul 22, 2022 7:06 pm

I prefer not run caps-man on a cap.

Usually I run it on the router with local forwarding and client to client forwarding on. This makes it easier to work with as the caps are working like normal access points. So when I have to replace them... Other APs need only have the VLANs added to their configs.

A month ago I had a router blow out. The ISP gave the client a gateway. So all the caps just sat there. Fortunately the crs on site survived. Loaded up the caps man config from a router back up to the switch. All the caps came right back on. Went back out as soon as I had a replacement router. But ended up leaving caps-man running on the switch.

But as to others... Roaming... I manually set the channels and power levels. Then I have an access list that kicks clients off at -88dB.
In this scencario, the only MT devices are the Caps, themselves. It's a PfSense Router and a Linksys unmanaged switch...

With regards to access lists, isn't -88dB well outside the range of being usable? I currently set 5 Ghz to boot at -70 and don't have an access list for 2.4. I have no idea if that's a good way to do it, though this is also just a home environment.

Ca6ko

Sat Jul 23, 2022 3:43 pm

What do you expect from pseudo roaming? As far as I know only the wifiwave2 package has some advantages in regards to roaming (CAPsMAN definitely doesn't have any).
I don't expect anything from pseudo roaming, I just use it extensively.
Capsman does its job well. For example in my house there are 3 Caps the family does not have any problems moving between them. Even a phone conversation via messenger is rarely interrupted when moving between points. I have warned everyone that the conversation may cut off, but in reality the conversation is not interrupted.
When I set up Kapsman to automatically move clients between 2.4 and 5, I set the power of 2.4 to 7-8 dB less than 5 and the band in 2.4 is narrower than in 5. And everything works fine. Clients move to 5 by themselves

BrateloSlava
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Jul 23, 2022 6:12 pm

At home I have 2 access points:cAP AC and wAP AC LTE6 Kit. And there are no noticeable problems. The signal strength of 2.4 GHz is 5 points lower than that of 5 GHz.

Problems are observed in the office. The configuration of the rooms does not allow optimal placement of access points there. Employees often move from room to room. There are significant problems with audio calls through instant messengers. Very often, it turns out that an audio call via a messenger via mobile Internet works fine, but via WiFi - with problems. Moreover, in Caps mode forwarding they are smaller.

According to my tests, the location of the CapsMan manager on the access point or on a separate router does not have any effect on WiFi performance.

Ca6ko

Sun Jul 24, 2022 9:21 am

Problems are observed in the office
The problem is that there are not enough access points for even coverage. Use your phone/tablet to take a Heatmap of the coverage if there are areas with a level worse than -68 on the route of the main movement of people, then you need to add access points. Determine the places of installation on the room plan, and then temporarily install an access point, check the coverage area, if necessary, make adjustments.
No program can do this job automatically.
If there are difficulties, I can help you. Remotely diagnose the network and make recommendations.

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Jul 24, 2022 1:17 pm

How did you determine "you need more cowbell!"

Really.

What about this thread screams... "There must not be enough access points!"

The guy never pointed to anything with signal level and something not working.

Right now... I have a job that just refused to listen and set the point of "80 dollars an access point." So the sales and owners of the company took them up on it. The site has 4 cap ACs. The coverage and over lap is damn good. My phone and other androids wander around with ONLY THE TYPICAL Mikrotik radio problems...

However... Their apple computers... "Stop working". Pages fail to load. And internal communications become spotty or fail.

I log into caps-man and see good signal on the clients. Everything "looks like it's working". Now if you open up tool and go to ping... Start a ping against on of the MAC computers on 5Ghz. The pings will be 200ms and above.

You don't even need to reboot.

Disable all the 5ghz radios on the site with a simple scripts line. Leave it off for 10 seconds. Then re enable them. All the MAC computers may jump to 2.4... but one way or the other... They all reconnect and their pings drop down to 40 or less. Traffic starts passing again.

I was considering a scheduled script to check for the important computers ping time getting above 300... Then I decided I was tired of playing with this, and getting yelled at, for something I could neither solve, or get paid for.

Sent out a tech with 1 competitors WAP and stuck it in the middle of the site. It carried all wireless clients on the site, All day, and never had the disconnect issues.

The farthest away clients couldn't use the wireless... But like I typed... This was meant to make a point.

Now the most telling part here...
The devices that show the most "lock up" "hangs" (pick your consumer complaint term) were Apple Computers that DO NOT MOVE, that are on wireless. So roaming and coverage, are not even in the equation. The devices are in the 55db range from the caps radios.

The employees actually offered to pay for the new WAPs themselves.

Right now my boss and the owner of the business are trying to find a resolution.

The WAPs I needed were around $500 a piece.

But due to supply shortages... All we can get are closer to $800 a piece and meant for higher density. They won't do a better job that the $500 ones on this site. But the question as I posted it to the company... "What does all down time cost you?"

massinia
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Jul 24, 2022 3:24 pm

Capsman does its job well. For example in my house there are 3 Caps the family does not have any problems moving between them. Even a phone conversation via messenger is rarely interrupted when moving between points. I have warned everyone that the conversation may cut off, but in reality the conversation is not interrupted.
Also for me excellent experience with CAPsMAN and wireless roaming, I have no falls during voip calls and switching from one cAP to another.

Ca6ko

Sun Jul 24, 2022 5:20 pm

How did you determine "you need more cowbell!"
I suggested that he measure the signal level and make sure.
... Their apple computers...
Yes, apple computers are better suited to other brand access points. But this is the Enterprise level.
For apple, there are a few peculiarities in wifi settings in firmware and drivers. Because apple doesn't quite adhere to the wifi standard and isn't certified by it.
Features of apple settings are described more than once on the internet. My networks do not have apple computers only their phones. With the phones also had problems, but fixed long ago.

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Jul 24, 2022 5:46 pm

My networks do not have apple computers only their phones. With the phones also had problems, but fixed long ago.
OK, I'll bite.
How was it fixed ?

whatever

Sun Jul 24, 2022 10:31 pm

Also for me excellent experience with CAPsMAN and wireless roaming, I have no falls during voip calls and switching from one cAP to another.
Capsman does _not_ offer any features related to roaming. The roaming experience with capsman is identical to roaming without capsman.

BrateloSlava
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Jul 25, 2022 2:11 pm

The problem is that there are not enough access points for even coverage...
Thanks for the answer. It looks like, you and I live in the same city. :lol:

About my problems with WiFi, office and voice calls via messenger. As I wrote earlier - problems are exclusively with audio calls through instant messengers.

All access points (сAP AC) are connected by wired channels at a speed of 1 Gbit to switches. Switches are interconnected via 2 channels trunk ports, based on swich chips.The connection diagram of network devices in my office - practically repeats the picture from the official manual - https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:C ... ith_Trunks
I am writing this, to make it clear, that the problem is not in the speed of channels, throughput, etc.
Laptops, that are connected via WiFi, have no problem playing videos from Youtube or IPTV. Even if this laptop is carried between rooms. The video is not interrupted.

The problem is only in the interrupted sound during audio calls through instant messengers. When making video calls, the sound periodically disappears, and the video continues to play without problems. The funny thing is that, if I disable CapsMan and use access points separately, there are no such problems. But without CapsMan, using WiFi in the office is meaningless. You can talk continuously on WatsApp for an hour - and no problem. And you can "catch" several loss of sound in 10 minutes. The office "comes" 2 optical gigabit channels to the Internet from different providers. Problems are observed when using any of them.

I have another building with a park area. There, I implemented a "seamless" WiFi coverage based on Ubiquiti's indoor and outdoor access points. And no problem.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ca6ko

Tue Jul 26, 2022 10:41 am

How was it fixed ?
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202068

What's new in 6.44
*) wireless - improved connection stability for new model Apple devices;

There were also errors in the driver that caused Apple devices to only recognize SSIDs made up of large Latin letters and numbers.
There were problems with the preamble
Not long ago I encountered new phones that connected to 2.4 only if the width is 20/40. and then worked only on 20
PS The country settings must be set correctly, because Apple defines a country from different sources.

@ BrateloSlava
Looked at the config there are some gross errors.
The main error at no time, when managing the network from multiple access points, you can not enable automatic selection of frequencies. Only manually. So far there is no hardware-software complexes that can do this automatically.
When you list frequencies separated by commas, all devices work on the first.
The radio engineer has to manually select the power point (coverage/overlap area) frequency and channel width (frequency plan).
I suggest to call you and help you set up.