Community discussions

MikroTik App

josephmm
just joined
Topic Author

Connect WAP LR8 kit to the Internet using WiFi.

Mon Jul 25, 2022 2:39 pm

Hello everyone.
Is it possible to connect the WAP LR8 kit to the Internet through my local WiFi network instead of connecting an ethernet cable from the access point to the gateway?
Couldn't find any documentation or tutorial online about this topic by myself.
The purpose of this is the convinience of testing the device wirelessly before instaling it in the final location.

rbuserdl
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Connect WAP LR8 kit to the Internet using WiFi.

Tue Jul 26, 2022 2:24 am

Hello!

As I understand you want to setup this Mikrotik temporarily as a repeater (Maybe with other SSID and password).
If I understand well, I think you will need 2 antennas to do this (I dont know if it is possible to accomplish this with only one antenna), so you can set up an antenna as "station" to connect to your WiFi network and other antenna as "ap bridge" to give an SSID to clients.
I think WAP LR8 kit only has 1 antenna. https://mikrotik.com/product/wap_lr8_kit

Not sure.
Regards,
Damián

josephmm
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Jul 26, 2022 3:40 pm

Hello:

As I understand you want to setup this Mikrotik temporarily as a repeater (Maybe with other SSID and password).

It's not my intention to setup a repeater.
When I connect the gateway to my home's router with an ethernet cable, it gets connected to my LAN in a very straightful manner and I can easily access the configuration page.
I would like to accomplish the same thing by using the WiFi connectivity. I wouldn't mind if this keeps me from connecting to the gateways configuration page through it's own LAN (192.168.88.1) as long as I can reach it within my home network (192.168.1.xxx, per example).

Thank you for your replay!

rbuserdl
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Jul 26, 2022 5:42 pm

Hello!

I cant understand you.
When you say "gateway", what device are you referring to?
I dont know the infrastructure of your home network
How do you plan to test the wifi connectivity?

Regards,
Damián