Community discussions

MikroTik App

Cyberurmel
just joined
Topic Author

PPPoe issue please help

Thu Jul 28, 2022 2:12 pm

hey guys,

as i had sometimes disconnects i decided to update the vigor 130 Modem to newest version.
I did better not
damn..

now the Modem is up to date .. and i can see that it syncs ..also it connects when i enter in modem the pppoe username etc
also i am able to connect via a pc connected directly to modem via pppoe
but the MT gets nothing back ! i changed nothing so wtf? i see in logging PADI and no response... where could be the issue?
MT? or Modem?
How can i check further ? The settings seems for me good in Modem.
MPoA enabled .. and bridged .. no dhcp .. and pppoe Client disabled and allow pppoe passthrough

any help ?

Thanks
Regards

nichky
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: PPPoe issue please help

Thu Jul 28, 2022 2:16 pm

i think u need to come down, i can feel u are frustrated.

Just export your config and provide us your topology

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:31 pm

My ISP provides internet over PPPoE. Their xDSL modem can be either in routing mode or in bridge mode. Normally it is possible to configure PPPoE stuff on modem (username and password) and modem brings up PPPoE session. At the same time it's possible to start another PPPoE session (e.g. on Mikrotik router, connected to said modem). However this doesn't work if client has static IP address assigned. In this case the first PPPoE client (which obviously is the one run on modem) can establish connection, others can not (IIRC symptom is exactly the same: no answer from PPPoE server received). The solution is to unconfiugre PPPoE client entirely on modem ... delete username and password, disabling client is not enough because it becomes enabled again after ISP does anything on modem (FW upgrade, any other change of provisioning) etc.

Cyberurmel
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:47 am

Hello and thank you first.

but probably i need your knowledge to help me ..
what i did :

i went back to an earlier version od the modem firmware..probably the one i checked first to rollback was not the same as they are nearly same time .
Start MT .. and after few tries it worked. :)

But over the last 24 hours ..i saw serveral outages again ( the issue why i wanted to upgrade the modem)

Currently it runs.
So i am confused what is or could be issue
The ISP / the Modem / the MT ?

I bought new Modem.. comes today.. so i can check that. (but in the gui i could see the whole time indepentant which firmware ) that Modem connected with ISP / Sync
Second thing what is a bit strange - why it worked with a pc at Modem connected via PPPoE without any problem?
How can i check if the MT is working fine ? As now it works without changing anything i would say it couldnt be an issue from MT but to be sure...

Can you please give some hints?
If you need some data from config please let me know.. whole should not be necessary or?

Thanks a lot
Regards

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: PPPoe issue please help  [SOLVED]

Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:18 am

I also had this back when I used a Draytek 130, there is some bug in it that leads to problems like that mentioned by mkx (when using the modem in PPPoE-relay mode).
It did not work with the newest firmware for me either. Older versions worked.

As I required Profile 35b for my new provider I instead bought a ZyXEL VMG4005-B50A and now this issue is gone.

Cyberurmel
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Jul 29, 2022 4:34 pm

Hi and thank you ... ok.. i will check that as i bought the Vigor 167 --hopefully this will work better..if not..then i will change to Zyxcel.. if i had this information before i am shure it would have bought the Zyxcel first :)