Community discussions

MikroTik App

abishur
just joined
Topic Author

RouterBOARD 3011UiAS and SFP Module

Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:49 am

I purchased a couple of 10 gbps SFP (Fiber LC) modules for my RB 3011 to replace my 1Gbps SFP module (Copper RJ45), but I can't seem to get them to work. The compatibility chart I looked at says that the router can handle a 10 Gbps SFP module and I purchased one it said would work with it.
I'm connecting this to a Juniper EX3300-48P switch and purchased an SFP module that was compatible with the juniper switch but had all the properties.

For some reason though, I just can't get the two of them to talk. When I set the Mikrotik Switch to auto negotiate the speed the auto negotiation fails on the SFP port and when I tell it to just be 10gbps (which it is) under the status page it still says the rate is 1 Gbps.

This SFP port used to be my wan port, but I wanted to have a higher throughput between my switches so I made one of the built-in Ethernet ports my wan port, and moved the SFP port to my LAN bridge. I've tried switch out modules on both switches, I've tried changing ports on the Juniper switch to a known good one, nothing I'm doing seems to be working, is there a step I'm missing?

cdemers
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: RouterBOARD 3011UiAS and SFP Module

Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:17 am

The RB3011 only has a SFP (1G) not a SFP+ (10G) port.

If you want 10G you would need to go to the RB4011

abishur
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:52 am

The RB3011 only has a SFP (1G) not a SFP+ (10G) port.

If you want 10G you would need to go to the RB4011
Darn it. I specifically purchased equipment based off the compatibility chart from their wiki. Well at least I'm not out too much.

Follow-up question, where can one buy the RB4011? I bought my RB3011 off Amazon 3 years ago, but looking on Amazon today parts seem scarce.

cdemers
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:04 am

Supply of many devices is limited and go fast, you need to be quick.

I picked up a 4011 from one of my local suppliers 5 months ago, they got in like 150 units and they were gone in 2 days.

https://mikrotik.com/buy

Look in the list of suppliers near you. May need to call them if they are out and see if they have an idea when stock is coming in.

When I picked up the 4011 it was still running ROS 6 (which i'm fine with for a while, it's in production, not running 7 on it yet).
If you pick up a 5011 it will have ROS 7 as ROS 6 doesn't support it, it's also a good option.