Community discussions

MikroTik App

CallanGoulding
just joined
Topic Author

SNMP Traps to a syslog.log file

Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:56 am

Hey Guys,

Please forgive my limited understanding of SNMP monitoring.

My company has tasked me with setting up SNMP monitoring for a site of ours which has 160 Units on it, each of which has a RBwsAP-5Hac2nD installed in it.

We have a CCR1016-12G on site which is acting as the main router with 160 ppoe's dialing up on it for each of the users.

I have been unable to get even simple SNMP traps working on the CCR such as memory usage (I want to test with this before even attempting to monitor each ppoe interface).

We are using Ncentral as our monitoring program and from the Ncentral Documentation that I have, it seems that I need to get the CCR to send SNMP traps to a syslog.log file on a Windows Server on the network which acts as the "probe" where Ncentral is installed from which monitoring of the site network is done.

From my understanding, Ncentral will need to be configured to monitor data in this syslog.log file on the Windows "probe" server.

Here is the link to the Ncentral Documentation I have on monitoring SNMP traps:

https://documentation.n-able.com/N-cent ... -traps.htm

If anyone could give me a shove it the right direction I would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: SNMP Traps to a syslog.log file

Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:11 pm

You should understand that "traps" are sent (from the device to the specified trap server) only when certain events occur. So e.g. when an interface goes up or down, a corresponding trap is sent.
Retrieval of varying data like memory usage is not done using traps. It is done using SNMP "get" or "walk" operations, where the monitoring host sends a request to the device to return the data.
So you will find that your exercise for monitoring of memory usage is not really representative for future monitoring of PPPoE interfaces.

CallanGoulding
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:31 pm

You should understand that "traps" are sent (from the device to the specified trap server) only when certain events occur. So e.g. when an interface goes up or down, a corresponding trap is sent.
Retrieval of varying data like memory usage is not done using traps. It is done using SNMP "get" or "walk" operations, where the monitoring host sends a request to the device to return the data.
So you will find that your exercise for monitoring of memory usage is not really representative for future monitoring of PPPoE interfaces.
Hi pe1chl,

Thanks so much for the feedback!

I see, so SNMP traps are more for boolean type of values and such. I guess rather than trying to use varying values like RAM usage etc I can try monitoring one of the ports on the CCR for now. Once I've managed to get that right I'll dive a little deeper into monitoring each PPOE interface.

With that in mind, do you by any chance know how I would go about sending those SNMP traps to that syslog.log file or somewhere that our Ncentral Monitoring system could read the traps?

Thanks so much for the help!

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:55 pm

No, traps are more like "events", something happens in the router that causes a trap to be sent: router restart, interface up/down, or thermal exception.
(other traps are possible but this is what MikroTik can send)

All other SNMP use originates from the monitoring server: it sends a "get this value" packet to the router, and the router replies with the value.
This value can be several types: numeric, string, date, boolean, whatever is defined for the specific value.
So for the router that is a passive service, until the monitoring server sends a "get" or "get next" (walk) command the router does nothing.

For receiving the traps you need an SNMP trap handler, no idea how that works in Windows. Under Linux one uses snmptrapd.

CallanGoulding
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:23 pm

No, traps are more like "events", something happens in the router that causes a trap to be sent: router restart, interface up/down, or thermal exception.
(other traps are possible but this is what MikroTik can send)

All other SNMP use originates from the monitoring server: it sends a "get this value" packet to the router, and the router replies with the value.
This value can be several types: numeric, string, date, boolean, whatever is defined for the specific value.
So for the router that is a passive service, until the monitoring server sends a "get" or "get next" (walk) command the router does nothing.

For receiving the traps you need an SNMP trap handler, no idea how that works in Windows. Under Linux one uses snmptrapd.
Hi pe1chl,

Alright that makes sense.

I will look into SNMP trap handlers and work from there.

I definitely have more of an understanding on how SNMP works now, thanks so much for explaining it so clearly!

All the best!