Community discussions

MikroTik App

heves
just joined
Topic Author

Periodically saving metrics about the network

Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:05 pm

I'm building a small network for a local outdoor event, and I would like to save some data which I could use to optimize and improve performance in the future. The event lasts for 2 days, but based on the amount of participants (~500 people at max.), probably only a moderate amount of data would accumulate. Also the network will only be available near the info kiosk, so not all of the participants will be connected all the time.

I won't be able to personally monitor these metrics all day around, this is why I'm looking for a different solution.

Is there a way I could log/save metrics such as currently connected users, network traffic, etc. every 15 minutes or so?
Since I'm using CAPsMAN, is there a way to log such data regarding individual CAPs?
Is it possible to store the data on the router/CAPs, but in a file and not in the memory (as I have noticed the default log is quite limited)?

If anyone is familiar with logging/scripting options that could help, I'd be thankful for any advice on the matter, as I'm somewhat of a beginner.

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Periodically saving metrics about the network  [SOLVED]

Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:34 pm

You may want to have a look at this thread as far as connected users and monitoring is concerned.
Kid control and measurement.
You set the schedule at what rate the measurements need to be saved.
Possibility to save your file to flash (or external drive if your controller has USB port).

viewtopic.php?t=185910

For complete measurement, search for user Jotne's creation, he has a solution using Splunk but that might be overkill ?
viewtopic.php?t=179960