MikroTik App

Guscht
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

mAP lite / no connection when virtual

Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:47 am

Hi,

I am trying to do the following with my mAP, to create a simple extender, eg. in hotel rooms:

wlan1 = ap-bridge (for the managmenet of the device)
wlan2 (virtual) = station-pseudobridge (for connecting to the hotel-network as WLAN-client)
wlan3 (virtual) = ap-bridge (for connecting my enddevice to the mAP)

My plan was to simply bridge wlan2 and wlan3 together, so I can achieve a nice "WLAN Repeater" or extender.

Unfortunately wlan2 does not connect to the hotel-network (searching...). If I set wlan1 as station-pseudobridge, it will connect, but when connecting for the first time, I have to configure wlan1 through wlan3 (my management wlan), which does not come up because wlan1 (the master) is not correctly set-up.

Configure the mAP through wlan1 is also no option, because my mobile-device does not connect to this network, because it gets no IP (wlan1 is not connected to the hotel-network -> no IP). So I need a dedicated MGMT wlan with DHCP-support (or at least an IP config) to configure the device initially.

Is this some kind of hardware limitation? Is there a good workaround?

My current workaround is a second mAP, which creates the MGMT wlan (wlan1), this wlan1 is bridged with eth1 and a short cable goes to the second mAP, which I can configure through the first mAP. This works, but I think its no good solution (I need a second USB-charger onyl for the inital config) :D

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: mAP lite / no connection when virtual

Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:04 pm

You need to go the other way around.

The main wlan is the one you should connect to the hotel wifi.
Reason: you need station mode which only works on the main wlan, not on the virtual wlan.

And only once that is connected, a virtual wlan can be used for your own connection.
Use connect list to add the SSIDs you want to connect to and add your own cell phone hotspot as well. That way you're always sure to have ONE known network in reach (and thus the virtual wlan will become active).
No ethernet cable needed then (unless you really want to).

Or something like that, typing from memory :lol: (my device is at home so can not check).

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:33 am

Just checked, more or less correct.

- main wlan connection to external Wifi, station mode
- preferably use connect list and security profiles (something I learned from bpwl, credit where credit is due)
that way you can define multiple SSIDs to connect to if you use it in multiple places. And use your own cell hotspot as first option. When hotspot is off, it will search the connect list entries top down, restarting at the top when it doesn't find anything. Super handy.
- in main wlan, keep SSID blanc (that's when it will use the connect list), security profile to default (security will come from connect list)
- slave wlan for personal access
- bridge with slave wlan (and eth if you want, depending on how you want to use that port)
- IP address on bridge
- DHCP client on main wlan
- DHCP server on bridge
- default firewall (make sure wlan1 etc are in the correct interface list for LAN/WAN)

On my device I also configured Wireguard with connection to home.
So when I got that device with me and I connect to local Wifi, whatever I need can connect via slave Wifi and I have instant VPN to home using secure tunnel.

One tiny device, so many possibilities ...

Guscht
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:10 pm

Interesting approach! I will check it.

Guscht
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:24 pm

Awesome, it works! :D

Sidenote, I tested with my homenetwork which has a hidden SSID. Connection-List does not apply to hidden-SSIDs.

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:30 am