Community discussions

MikroTik App

TheLorc
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Why does disabling 'bridge' make it impossible to connect to my router?

Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:20 pm

Hi guys,

I locked myself out of my mikrotik router the day I got it. Since then I have been very careful to not make any changes which I haven't seen on a guide or that i don't know what they do.

The way I locked myself out was by disabling 'bridge' in the Interfaces -> Interface -> Bridge section.

I clicked on the bridge at the top of all the ethernet ports and clicked Disable.

This made me lose connection to my router and even turning it off and back on I couldn't connect.

I factory reset the unit and was able to connect again.

I guess once you make the ports all into a bridge, the bridge is the first thing you connect to when you plug your ethernet cable into a port. So if you disable it, even plugging directly to an ethernet port its blocked?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jvanhambelgium
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Why does disabling 'bridge' make it impossible to connect to my router?

Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:04 pm

You can work with "SAFE" mode to prevent the kinds of f*ckups, or take 1 interface OUT of the BRIDGE-config and put an IP-address on it, like 10.10.10.254 (while your bridge for example would be 192.168.1.254)
That way, if you ever screw up "Bridge" , plug in the designated ETH-port, put 10.10.10.1 on your laptop and you can connect again.

So yeah, you make a connection to an IP-address that happened to "sit" on your Bridge-interface. If you disable that Bridge, obviously you loose everything.
Consider the Bridge-IP as you management IP / default gateway from your internal network

There exist also a way to connect on "Layer 2" (MAC) but you need to enable a service for that. Also this would continue to work if you break L3/IP-interface/Bridge config

TheLorc
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:35 pm

You can work with "SAFE" mode to prevent the kinds of f*ckups, or take 1 interface OUT of the BRIDGE-config and put an IP-address on it, like 10.10.10.254 (while your bridge for example would be 192.168.1.254)
That way, if you ever screw up "Bridge" , plug in the designated ETH-port, put 10.10.10.1 on your laptop and you can connect again.

So yeah, you make a connection to an IP-address that happened to "sit" on your Bridge-interface. If you disable that Bridge, obviously you loose everything.
Consider the Bridge-IP as you management IP / default gateway from your internal network

There exist also a way to connect on "Layer 2" (MAC) but you need to enable a service for that. Also this would continue to work if you break L3/IP-interface/Bridge config
Thanks I will keep trying to remove it from the interface and put an IP on it.

To do that you just go to Bridge -> Ports -> Delete Ether7 (for example) , then go to IP -> Addresses -> Create new address -> In the entries, leave 'Network' blank, and fill in 10.10.10.254 for Address, and select Ether7 for the interface. Now, even if I disable the bridge or do anything to the router, I can simply connect an ethernet cable to Ether7, and be able to access Winbox, is that correct? Or is there more stuff you have to do?

Thank you for the help I am completely new to Mikrotik routerOS..

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:36 pm

Ethernet interfaces connected as port to the bridge are slave interfaces.
(With an S in the first column in the table)
Your ether1 probably is still the default WAN interface, where the firewall will prevent all incoming connections.
By setting the bridge down, you downed ether2 till ether10. And if the firewall was not altered ether1 is still handled as WAN interface.

jvanhambelgium
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:57 pm

To do that you just go to Bridge -> Ports -> Delete Ether7 (for example) , then go to IP -> Addresses -> Create new address -> In the entries, leave 'Network' blank, and fill in 10.10.10.254 for Address, and select Ether7 for the interface. Now, even if I disable the bridge or do anything to the router, I can simply connect an ethernet cable to Ether7, and be able to access Winbox, is that correct? Or is there more stuff you have to do?
If you did not set IP-restrictions under the /ip service/winbox (to limit from which IP's you can connect) and the same for a /system/users (on a user, you can also set from which IP's it can login) you should only check the firewall INPUT-chain (INPUT = traffic targetted at router itself, Winbox for example)
Make sure you have some rule allowing ether7 (or source-IP 10.10.10.0/24) to target the the RouterOS control plane.

And that should be it, give it a try to connect PC to ether7 after giving it 10.10.10.1 , connect with Winbox and disable your Bridge ;-) you won't get kicked out.

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:16 pm

Using Winbox and MAC access, no IP is needed.

A device with CLEAN config (nothing in it, not even bridge) can always be accessed using Winbox/Mac.

BartoszP
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:24 am

From LAN side. From WAN side superfluously.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:42 am

Tis why I created this user article!!!

viewtopic.php?t=181718

kevinds
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:31 am

10.10.10.254/24 as an address on the router.. With nothing else set (DHCP server for example), set your computer to IP 10.10.10.253/24, and then yes, 10.10.10.254 and Ether7 will work.

Another option is "Neighbours", that should still work with your original situation.

Serial console is another.

The bridge interface has the IP (192.168.88.1/24), so if you disable the bridge, you will lose the IP.

My first suggestion is to try using Neighbours though. In the default RouterBoard configuration, it should work on any interface except Ether1.

TheLorc
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:04 pm

10.10.10.254/24 as an address on the router.. With nothing else set (DHCP server for example), set your computer to IP 10.10.10.253/24, and then yes, 10.10.10.254 and Ether7 will work.

Another option is "Neighbours", that should still work with your original situation.

The bridge interface has the IP (192.168.88.1/24), so if you disable the bridge, you will lose the IP.

My first suggestion is to try using Neighbours though. In the default RouterBoard configuration, it should work on any interface except Ether1.

Serial console is another.

Okay so you need to create an IP address 10.10.10.254, assign it to the interface Ether7, then statically modify your laptop/PC to be 10.10.10.253/24, and then it will work

From what I remember I couldn't connect even with neighbours after disabling the bridge for ethernet ports 2-10, I could be wrong though

kevinds
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue Aug 02, 2022 6:23 pm

Okay so you need to create an IP address 10.10.10.254, assign it to the interface Ether7, then statically modify your laptop/PC to be 10.10.10.253/24, and then it will work

From what I remember I couldn't connect even with neighbours after disabling the bridge for ethernet ports 2-10, I could be wrong though
Do not forget the /24 on the Ether7 IP, otherwise it will assume /32.

Neighbors should still work though, as it doesn't use IP.

TheLorc
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:18 pm

Do not forget the /24 on the Ether7 IP, otherwise it will assume /32.

Neighbors should still work though, as it doesn't use IP.
Cant seem to get it to work

I deleted Ether7 from Bridge -> Ports

I then went to IP -> Addresses -> Add ->

For the entries I put:

Address: 10.50.50.254
Network: 10.50.50.0
Interface: ether7

Click OK

Now connect my ethernet cable to port 7 and to my laptop.

On windows 10 go to Network Connections -> ethernet 2 -> properties -> ipv4 settings -> properties -> Use the following IP Address

IP address: 10.50.50.253
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Default gateway: 10.50.50.0 or 10.50.50.1 (neither works)

Click OK, then close.

Nothing shows up when I click Neighbours and refresh.

If I connect back to my mikrotik via a different port it works fine (note I am trying to configure a port to be able to save me incase my other ports are disabled like before)

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:02 am

Are you talking to me.....
If so words are meaningless unless you provide the config, I have no confidence in your ability to follow directions or infer that you did things correctly from your written text.
I need proof/evidence of what you have and very happy to work from that.
/export and ensure you dont use real ISP WAN IP numbers......

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:09 pm

10.50.50.0 as gateway is incorrect for a /24 , 255.255.255.0 network!
Why should 10.50.50.1 work ??? You only defined 10.50.50.254 in your text.

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:14 pm

By setting the bridge down, you downed ether2 till ether10
Please read again. You cannot connect to an interface that is down. If an ethernet port is a slave interface to the bridge, bringing down/disable the bridge will disable that ethernet interface, as long as it is a slave to the bridge.

Removing the bridge would be something totally different than disabling.
Klembord-2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

CZFan
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Location: South Africa, Krugersdorp (Home town of Brad Binder)

Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:30 pm

Never tested it, but I suspect it will not disable the ethernet interfaces in that bridge/switch group, but will disable any bridging/switching so you will lose connection to other devices, and also disables this CPU access via the ports in that bridge, hence reason you will not be able to access device itself via those ports

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:25 pm

Disabling the bridge, do not disable also the eterhet ports.

You can lose the management access because, for example MAC winbox are set to reply only on bridge, and on ethernet work until bridge are active.
Disabling the bridge, both configured MAC winbox, and "IP" winbox ae unable to find anything to link to....

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:23 pm

Test to see what really happens.

Bridge delivers L3 features, for the ethernet interfaces as ports.
Giving IP address, DHCP services, etc to such an ethernet interface is considered " misconfiguration" in the wiki. But it can be done and is often done (Even sometimes it is set by Quickset !)

So just looking what happens .. when the Bridge is disabled.
Well ROS is smart enough to release the interfaces from the bridge.
But the IP address of the bridge is invalid now (disabled bridge), and also of the VLANs on the bridge.

My WAN port (ether5) is not on the bridge, with a FW rule to allow me to come in with WinBox. So I can change and peek without losing connection.
Ethernet ports on the bridge (1 to 4) are practically unusable for IP.
WinBox Neighbors does show the router with 0.0.0.0 IP address on ether1, and can be connected through there via MAC!

Normal setup ... (ether1 is LAN connected, ether5 is WAN connected)
Klembord-3.jpg
Bridge disabled ... (find the differences)
Klembord-2.jpg

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:47 pm

ethernet ports != vlan

TheLorc
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:50 pm

What should I put then?

jvanhambelgium
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:55 pm

What should I put then?
You don't even need one. You are connecting to a device (Mikrotik) which has an IP in the same network-range.
Even if you take a wrong one like 10.50.50.27, it would never be used in your case :

PC = 10.50.50.253 mask 255.255.255.0
Mikrotik = 10.50.50.254

TheLorc
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:00 pm

If you did not set IP-restrictions under the /ip service/winbox (to limit from which IP's you can connect) and the same for a /system/users (on a user, you can also set from which IP's it can login) you should only check the firewall INPUT-chain (INPUT = traffic targetted at router itself, Winbox for example)
Make sure you have some rule allowing ether7 (or source-IP 10.10.10.0/24) to target the the RouterOS control plane.

And that should be it, give it a try to connect PC to ether7 after giving it 10.10.10.1 , connect with Winbox and disable your Bridge ;-) you won't get kicked out.
"you should only check the firewall INPUT-chain (INPUT = traffic targetted at router itself, Winbox for example). Make sure you have some rule allowing ether7 (or source-IP 10.10.10.0/24) to target the the RouterOS control plane."

To do this firewall rule, I go to IP -> Firewall -> Filter Rules -> Add ->

Chain: Input
Src Address: 10.10.10.0/24
In. Interface List: all
Action: accept

Is this correct? Also, what is the purpose of this, does this simply stop other PCs from accessing this ethernet port? For example, lets say a PC with IP address 50.50.50.1 tried to access ether7 port. It would block them because the source-IP is not 10.10.10.0/24?

Thanks again :)

TheLorc
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:29 pm

Still can't see the Mikrotik Router when I connect to ether7 port physically.

To clarify what I have done is:

On Mikrotik routerOS:

Bridge -> Ports -> Delete Ether7

IP -> Addresses -> Add ->

Address: 10.10.10.254
Network: 10.10.10.254 (this is auto generated when you leave it blank)
Interface: ether7-access

Now on my PC:

Go to Network Connections -> Ethernet Network -> Properties -> IpV4 -> Properties -> Use the following IP address:

IP address: 10.10.10.1
Default gateway: 10.10.10.254

DNS: 8.8.8.8
Secondary DNS: 8.8.4.4

This still does not work.

Here is my config incase that helps.. I am pretty sure I followed your steps as you said but it won't find the router on Winbox -> Neighbours.

I know the config has a lot of crap in it, I added wireguard and probably some other stupid stuff too but I doubt that is the problem here

# aug/05/2022 21:26:41 by RouterOS 7.4
# software id = JCY8-AFLA
#
# model = RB2011iL
# serial number = E7DD0F73B4C5
/interface bridge
add admin-mac=DC:2C:6E:4C:59:6F auto-mac=no comment=defconf name=bridge
/interface ethernet
set [ find default-name=ether7 ] name=ether7-access
/interface pppoe-client
add add-default-route=yes disabled=no interface=ether1 name=pppoe-out1 \
use-peer-dns=yes user=eircom
/interface wireguard
add listen-port=13231 mtu=1420 name=wireguard1
/interface list
add comment=defconf name=WAN
add comment=defconf name=LAN
add comment=defconf name=MANAGE
add comment=defconf name=TRUSTED
/interface wireless security-profiles
set [ find default=yes ] supplicant-identity=MikroTik
/ip pool
add name=dhcp ranges=192.168.88.10-192.168.88.254
add name=vpn ranges=192.168.89.2-192.168.89.255
/ip dhcp-server
add address-pool=dhcp interface=bridge name=defconf
/port
set 0 name=serial0
/ppp profile
set *FFFFFFFE dns-server=192.168.88.1 local-address=192.168.89.1 \
remote-address=vpn
/interface bridge port
add bridge=bridge comment=defconf interface=ether2
add bridge=bridge comment=defconf interface=ether3
add bridge=bridge comment=defconf interface=ether4
add bridge=bridge comment=defconf interface=ether5
add bridge=bridge comment=defconf interface=ether6
add bridge=bridge comment=defconf interface=ether8
add bridge=bridge comment=defconf interface=ether9
add bridge=bridge comment=defconf interface=ether10
/ip neighbor discovery-settings
set discover-interface-list=LAN
/interface l2tp-server server
set enabled=yes use-ipsec=yes
/interface list member
add comment=defconf interface=bridge list=LAN
add comment=defconf interface=ether1 list=WAN
add interface=pppoe-out1 list=WAN
add interface=ether7-access list=MANAGE
/interface pptp-server server
# PPTP connections are considered unsafe, it is suggested to use a more modern VPN protocol instead
set enabled=yes
/interface sstp-server server
set default-profile=default-encryption enabled=yes
/interface wireguard peers
add allowed-address=192.168.88.0/24 interface=wireguard1 public-key=\
"1Of5xcGq53sXm6h8TKvkn7eGxNHEqom6fhBI8XDPg2I="
/ip address
add address=192.168.88.1/24 comment=defconf interface=bridge network=\
add address=192.168.100.1/24 interface=wireguard1 network=192.168.100.0
add address=10.10.10.254 interface=ether7-access network=10.10.10.254
/ip cloud
set ddns-enabled=yes
/ip dhcp-client
add comment=defconf disabled=yes interface=ether1
/ip dhcp-server lease
add address=192.168.88.232 mac-address=00:21:9B:3C:13:ED server=defconf
add address=192.168.88.218 client-id=1:0:1f:c1:1c:c9:80 mac-address=\
00:1F:C1:1C:C9:80 server=defconf
add address=192.168.88.216 client-id=1:0:1f:c1:1c:c4:20 mac-address=\
00:1F:C1:1C:C4:20 server=defconf
add address=192.168.88.215 client-id=1:0:1f:c1:1c:c4:1b mac-address=\
00:1F:C1:1C:C4:1B server=defconf
add address=192.168.88.214 client-id=1:0:1f:c1:1c:c4:1c mac-address=\
00:1F:C1:1C:C4:1C server=defconf
add address=192.168.88.213 client-id=1:0:1f:c1:1c:c4:8b mac-address=\
00:1F:C1:1C:C4:8B server=defconf
add address=192.168.88.212 client-id=1:0:1f:c1:1c:c4:91 mac-address=\
00:1F:C1:1C:C4:91 server=defconf
add address=192.168.88.211 client-id=1:0:1f:c1:1c:c9:7b mac-address=\
00:1F:C1:1C:C9:7B server=defconf
add address=192.168.88.209 client-id=1:38:22:e2:9f:d:91 mac-address=\
38:22:E2:9F:0D:91 server=defconf
add address=192.168.88.207 client-id=1:0:1f:c1:1c:c4:90 mac-address=\
00:1F:C1:1C:C4:90 server=defconf
add address=192.168.88.206 client-id=1:0:1f:c1:1c:c4:8d mac-address=\
00:1F:C1:1C:C4:8D server=defconf
add address=192.168.88.205 client-id=1:0:1f:c1:1c:c4:8f mac-address=\
00:1F:C1:1C:C4:8F server=defconf
add address=192.168.88.204 client-id=1:0:1f:c1:1c:c4:92 mac-address=\
00:1F:C1:1C:C4:92 server=defconf
add address=192.168.88.203 client-id=1:0:1f:c1:1c:c4:89 mac-address=\
00:1F:C1:1C:C4:89 server=defconf
add address=192.168.88.202 client-id=1:0:1f:c1:1c:c4:1e mac-address=\
00:1F:C1:1C:C4:1E server=defconf
add address=192.168.88.201 client-id=1:0:1f:c1:1c:c4:22 mac-address=\
00:1F:C1:1C:C4:22 server=defconf
add address=192.168.88.200 client-id=1:0:1f:c1:1c:c4:8c mac-address=\
00:1F:C1:1C:C4:8C server=defconf
add address=192.168.88.199 client-id=1:0:1f:c1:1c:c4:1f mac-address=\
00:1F:C1:1C:C4:1F server=defconf
add address=192.168.88.198 client-id=1:0:1f:c1:1c:c4:23 mac-address=\
00:1F:C1:1C:C4:23 server=defconf
add address=192.168.88.196 client-id=1:90:9:d0:0:9:11 mac-address=\
90:09:D0:00:09:11 server=defconf
add address=192.168.88.194 client-id=1:0:11:32:ae:a2:7f mac-address=\
00:11:32:AE:A2:7F server=defconf
add address=192.168.88.165 client-id=1:0:1f:c1:1c:c4:8e mac-address=\
00:1F:C1:1C:C4:8E server=defconf
add address=192.168.88.163 client-id=1:34:f6:2d:89:e4:82 mac-address=\
34:F6:2D:89:E4:82 server=defconf
add address=192.168.88.154 client-id=1:0:1f:c1:1c:c4:8a mac-address=\
00:1F:C1:1C:C4:8A server=defconf
add address=192.168.88.92 client-id=1:b8:ec:a3:fd:1d:1f mac-address=\
B8:EC:A3:FD:1D:1F server=defconf
add address=192.168.88.91 client-id=1:b8:ec:a3:fd:1d:1c mac-address=\
B8:EC:A3:FD:1D:1C server=defconf
/ip dhcp-server network
add address=192.168.88.0/24 comment=defconf dns-server=192.168.88.1 gateway=\
/ip dns
set allow-remote-requests=yes
/ip dns static
add address=192.168.88.1 comment=defconf name=router.lan
/ip firewall filter
add action=accept chain=input comment=\
"defconf: accept established,related,untracked" connection-state=\
established,related,untracked
add action=accept chain=input comment="allow IPsec NAT" dst-port=4500 \
protocol=udp
add action=accept chain=input comment="allow IKE" dst-port=500 protocol=udp
add action=accept chain=input comment="allow l2tp" dst-port=1701 protocol=udp
add action=accept chain=input comment="allow pptp" dst-port=1723 protocol=tcp
add action=accept chain=input comment="allow sstp" dst-port=443 protocol=tcp
add action=drop chain=input comment="defconf: drop invalid" connection-state=\
invalid
add action=accept chain=input comment="defconf: accept ICMP" protocol=icmp
"defconf: accept to local loopback (for CAPsMAN)" dst-address=127.0.0.1
add action=drop chain=input comment="defconf: drop all not coming from LAN" \
in-interface-list=!LAN
add action=accept chain=forward comment="defconf: accept in ipsec policy" \
ipsec-policy=in,ipsec
add action=accept chain=forward comment="defconf: accept out ipsec policy" \
ipsec-policy=out,ipsec
add action=fasttrack-connection chain=forward comment="defconf: fasttrack" \
connection-state=established,related hw-offload=yes
add action=accept chain=forward comment=\
"defconf: accept established,related, untracked" connection-state=\
add action=drop chain=forward comment="defconf: drop invalid" \
connection-state=invalid
add action=drop chain=forward comment=\
"defconf: drop all from WAN not DSTNATed" connection-nat-state=!dstnat \
connection-state=new in-interface-list=WAN
/ip firewall nat
add action=masquerade chain=srcnat comment="defconf: masquerade" \
ipsec-policy=out,none out-interface-list=WAN
add action=dst-nat chain=dstnat comment="FreePBX Media UDP" dst-port=\
2000-65001 in-interface-list=WAN protocol=udp to-addresses=192.168.88.XXX \
to-ports=2000-65001
add action=dst-nat chain=dstnat comment="FreePBX Tunnel TCP" dst-port=5090 \
protocol=tcp to-addresses=192.168.88.XXX to-ports=5090
add action=dst-nat chain=dstnat comment="FreePBX SIP TCP" dst-port=5060 \
protocol=tcp to-addresses=192.168.88.XXX to-ports=5060
add action=dst-nat chain=dstnat comment="FreePBX SIP TLS" dst-port=5061 \
protocol=tcp to-addresses=192.168.88.XXX to-ports=5061
add action=dst-nat chain=dstnat dst-port=5500-5501 in-interface-list=WAN \
protocol=tcp to-addresses=192.168.88.XXX to-ports=5500-5501
add action=masquerade chain=srcnat comment="masq. vpn traffic" src-address=\
192.168.89.0/24
/ip firewall service-port
set sip disabled=yes sip-timeout=59w3d15h
/ipv6 firewall address-list
add address=::/128 comment="defconf: unspecified address" list=bad_ipv6
add address=::1/128 comment="defconf: lo" list=bad_ipv6
add address=fec0::/10 comment="defconf: site-local" list=bad_ipv6
add address=::ffff:0.0.0.0/96 comment="defconf: ipv4-mapped" list=bad_ipv6
add address=::/96 comment="defconf: ipv4 compat" list=bad_ipv6
add address=100::/64 comment="defconf: discard only " list=bad_ipv6
add address=2001:db8::/32 comment="defconf: documentation" list=bad_ipv6
add address=2001:10::/28 comment="defconf: ORCHID" list=bad_ipv6
add address=3ffe::/16 comment="defconf: 6bone" list=bad_ipv6
/ipv6 firewall filter
add action=drop chain=input comment="defconf: drop invalid" connection-state=\
invalid
add action=accept chain=input comment="defconf: accept ICMPv6" protocol=\
icmpv6
add action=accept chain=input comment="defconf: accept UDP traceroute" port=\
33434-33534 protocol=udp
"defconf: accept DHCPv6-Client prefix delegation." dst-port=546 protocol=\
udp src-address=fe80::/10
add action=accept chain=input comment="defconf: accept IKE" dst-port=500,4500 \
protocol=udp
add action=accept chain=input comment="defconf: accept ipsec AH" protocol=\
ipsec-ah
add action=accept chain=input comment="defconf: accept ipsec ESP" protocol=\
ipsec-esp
"defconf: accept all that matches ipsec policy" ipsec-policy=in,ipsec
add action=drop chain=input comment=\
"defconf: drop everything else not coming from LAN" in-interface-list=\
!LAN
add action=drop chain=forward comment="defconf: drop invalid" \
connection-state=invalid
"defconf: drop packets with bad src ipv6" src-address-list=bad_ipv6
"defconf: drop packets with bad dst ipv6" dst-address-list=bad_ipv6
add action=drop chain=forward comment="defconf: rfc4890 drop hop-limit=1" \
hop-limit=equal:1 protocol=icmpv6
add action=accept chain=forward comment="defconf: accept ICMPv6" protocol=\
icmpv6
add action=accept chain=forward comment="defconf: accept HIP" protocol=139
add action=accept chain=forward comment="defconf: accept IKE" dst-port=\
500,4500 protocol=udp
add action=accept chain=forward comment="defconf: accept ipsec AH" protocol=\
ipsec-ah
add action=accept chain=forward comment="defconf: accept ipsec ESP" protocol=\
ipsec-esp
"defconf: accept all that matches ipsec policy" ipsec-policy=in,ipsec
"defconf: drop everything else not coming from LAN" in-interface-list=\
!LAN
/ppp secret
add name=vpn profile=default-encryption
/system clock
set time-zone-name=Europe/Dublin
/tool mac-server
set allowed-interface-list=LAN
/tool mac-server mac-winbox

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Aug 06, 2022 3:16 pm

(1) Try this instead AFTER implementing steps 2 and beyond!
IP address: 10.10.10.5
Default gateway: 10.10.10.254

DNS: 10.10.10.254
Secondary DNS: 8.8.4.4

(2) Why do you have interfaces list of TRUSTED and MANAGE when you only have one subnet??
Okay I see ether7 is part of MANAGE which is not a bad idea........

(3) YOu should remove this as its a left over from default config.........
/ip dns static
add address=192.168.88.1 comment=defconf name=router.lan

(4) The idea of the trusted subnet is also to use the associated interfaces in a couple of spots so you should do this as well. The idea being you want to use one interface list entry for the input chain to access the router and the interface list to use twice elsewhere. We dont want to lump in ether7 with the rest of the LAN interface and its associated firewall rules, but just the input chain one etc...
SO
add interface=bridge list=MANAGE

Thus you should do this after:
/ip neighbor discovery-settings
set discover-interface-list=MANAGE

THEN it will be matter of firewall rules to match!!

(5) From:
add action=drop chain=input comment="defconf: drop all not coming from LAN" \
in-interface-list=!LAN

TO:
add action=accept chain=input in-interface-list=MANAGE **** scr-address-list=Authorized
add action=accept chain=input in-interface-list=LAN dst-port=53 protocol=tcp
add action=accept chain=input in-interface-list=LAN dst-port=53 protocol=udp
add action=drop chain=input comment="Drop all else"

Optional but I recommend it since you only have one subnet is to limit the access to the router for config purposes to only specific IP addresses
/ip firewall address lsit { assumes you have set the below to fixed static leases! }
add address=10.10.10.5/32 list=Authorized comment="ether7 access"
add address=Admin-Desktop-IP list=Authorized
add address=Admin-laptoip-IP list=Authorized
add address=Admin-lpad-IP list=Authorized
add address=Admin-smartphone-IP list=Authorized

(6) From:
"defconf: drop all from WAN not DSTNATed" connection-nat-state=!dstnat \
connection-state=new in-interface-list=WAN

TO:
add action=accept chain=forward in-interface-list=LAN out-interface-list=WAN
add action=accept chain=forward connection-nat-state=dstnat
add action=drop chain=forward comment="Drop all else"

(7) From:
/tool mac-server

TO
/tool mac-server
set allowed-interface-list=NONE { this is not a secure protocol and thus dont use }
set allowed-interface-list=MANAGE

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

In summary the confusion you have between the bridge, the lan interface and the manage/trusted is what is causing the issues.
Above is the straightforward approach to get you working safely.

kevinds
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sun Aug 07, 2022 5:47 am

Bridge -> Ports -> Delete Ether7

IP -> Addresses -> Add ->

Address: 10.10.10.254
Network: 10.10.10.254 (this is auto generated when you leave it blank)
Interface: ether7-access
This is wrong.