Community discussions

MikroTik App

aah
Topic Author

Can I assign a wlan for discovery interface in a AP in cap mode?

Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:31 pm

Hi,
For most of you probably this is an afterthought. However, as I am new to Mikrotik and more specifically to CAPsMAN, for me it's a bit of steep learning curve, I have two Audiences that are meant to functions as APs in my house, and a RB951 that currently functions as my router. I want to configure CAPsMAN in L2. Audience1 (AP1) is connected via an ethernet cable to the router. The AP2 however has to be completely wireless. When I put AP2 in CAP mode and assign the wlan3 for discovery interface, CAPsMAN doesn't take over on designated wlan2. What am I doing wrong? What other info do you need? p.s. All devices are running 7.4.1. Thanks in advance.

erlinden
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Can I assign a wlan for discovery interface in a AP in cap mode?

Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:26 pm

Let's start with: you don't want CAPsMAN. Though I absolutely love the concept (and the implementation), it has some disadvantages.
For me the most relevant disadvantage: not being able to run the wave2 package. And that makes a lot of difference.

In regards to your question, CAPsMAN can do a bit of what RouterOS can do...MESH (wireless backhaul) is not an option as far as I know.
Your config would be peanuts to configure without CAPsMAN. What is your main reason to use CAPsMAN anyway?

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:04 pm

Short answer
Yes, you can.

I have capsman setup with 5ghz out of the controller so I can use it for my own purposes :lol:

But as indicated by erlinden, why use capsman ? For only 2 APs ?
And yes, Audience allows usage of wifiwave2, so another reason not to use capsman.

aah
Topic Author

Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:02 am

1. As I am learning Mikrotik, I wanted to learn about CAPsMAN. That's the first reason.
2. I had no idea about wifiwave2. Read that the Audience supports the Mesh technology. Thought that would go in tandem with CAPsMAN.
3. These APs are actually not in "my" home, as they're deployed at my parents place. So, as I have my own life and place, whenever something should go wrong, I thought I would just log in to the router and check everything from there. Also, should ever the need arise for me to deploy more APs, that would be just take a couple of clicks and BAM I'm in business.
4. Didn't realize CAPsMAN comes with its own drawbacks. Sort of reasoned with myself, if all this is happening on Layer 2, then the overhead should very minimal and transfer should get taxed minimally. Was I wrong?
5. Yesterday I pulled the trigger and bought myself 3 CAP ACs for my own home. Now, I am wondering maybe I rushed it.

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:25 pm

Short answer
Yes, you can.

I have capsman setup with 5ghz out of the controller so I can use it for my own purposes :lol:

And yes, Audience allows usage of wifiwave2, so another reason not to use capsman.
Because... He doesn't know how bad Mikrotik radios are.

If caps-man could control a good radio... It would be the best one panel interface I have seen.

2 radios only?
Are you kidding... Have you used caps-man?
When it's working... I can log into the router and see in almost live time exactly what each wireless client is doing. You can see the devices move between radios in real time. Establish access control rules. Enable or disable SSIDs based on anything (like the primary ISP going down to save bandwidth on your metered back up ISP).

Unfortunately... It (caps-man) works with Mikrotik's old proprietary radio drivers. These drivers have UNCORRECTABLE ISSUES. These issues have been brought to Mikrotik's attention for years. And I noticed in the last few years... Mikrotik actually eluding to them on this forum. Actually posting that the customer had picked the wrong gear when they selected a Mikrotik radio.

I applaud them for finally admitting to it.

But... Man... Do I wish Caps-Man could could control a good radio. I think I have said it out loud, every day, for the last 4 years.

carl0s
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:44 pm

Short answer
Yes, you can.

Because... He doesn't know how bad Mikrotik radios are.

If caps-man could control a good radio... It would be the best one panel interface I have seen.

2 radios only?
Are you kidding... Have you used caps-man?
When it's working... I can log into the router and see in almost live time exactly what each wireless client is doing. You can see the devices move between radios in real time. Establish access control rules. Enable or disable SSIDs based on anything (like the primary ISP going down to save bandwidth on your metered back up ISP).

Unfortunately... It (caps-man) works with Mikrotik's old proprietary radio drivers. These drivers have UNCORRECTABLE ISSUES. These issues have been brought to Mikrotik's attention for years. And I noticed in the last few years... Mikrotik actually eluding to them on this forum. Actually posting that the customer had picked the wrong gear when they selected a Mikrotik radio.

I applaud them for finally admitting to it.

But... Man... Do I wish Caps-Man could could control a good radio. I think I have said it out loud, every day, for the last 4 years.
They said on Youtube that capsman is coming soon to support wifiwave2 package (in the hAP ax2 comments).

Hope it will be soon. I have a factory with two large office buildings and 8 warehouses to build Wi-Fi in to. I have been holding them off for about 2 years.