Community discussions

MikroTik App

cmacneill
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

LTE Modem Firmware Upgrade - Has anyone got any troubleshooting tips?

Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:34 am

I've been trying to upgrade the firmware of an LtAP R11e-LTE Modem, but failing each time.

RouterOS/Bootcode: v6.48.6
LTE Firmware: MikroTik_CP_2.160.000_v018

Has anyone had experience with issues with LTE under RouterOS v6.x that have been resolved by upgrading to RouterOS v7?

Is the upgrade protocol documented anywhere? I can't seem to find anything.

e.g. is it HTTP/FTP etc to some server? What server?

We have implemented our own EPC server in order to provide Public IPs to our LTE CPE devices, maybe MikroTik are doing something funky with detecting the source IP and not allowing Public IPs???

I did manage to get an LHG LTE to upgrade it's Firmware, but it was a real struggle, it failed several times with a timeout before finally working. It seemed to take forever to download the Firmware package.

The LtAP successfully establishes an Internet connection and I can do a Speedtest without any problems. So it doesn't seem to be a connection issue.

In the end I connected the LtAP to a commercial Mobile operator using a different SIM and it upgraded with no problem to MikroTik_CP_2.160.000_v020. However, once deployed we need to be able to upgrade Firmware over our own LTE infrastructure, so really need to fix this.

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: LTE Modem Firmware Upgrade - Has anyone got any troubleshooting tips?

Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:04 am

The LTE upgrade protocol is (at least currently) a mere HTTP(S) download of a file from a Mikrotik upgrade server. The "OTA upgrade" process requires that the LTE interface was up and running, but nevertheless it downloads the file to the routerboard storage and then uploads it to the modem from the USB side, i.e. it is not the modem itself to download the file and apply it autonomously. If you download the same file to the routerboard using some other way and disable the LTE interface, you can upgrade the modem from the file instead of "OTA" (but it is not recommended, maybe some compatibility checks are skipped).

So with your special arrangement, try downloading https://upgrade.mikrotik.com/firmware/R11e-LTE/latest (a text file indicating the current version) using /tool fetch and see what error you get; if you succeed, run /tool fetch again after you replace latest in the url by image and see what error you get. I can download the firmware using non-LTE connections so I don't think there is a strict check of client addresses.

krafg
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:46 am

I upgraded with ROS 6.49 without problems.

Regards.

klatoszy
just joined

Thu Apr 13, 2023 2:17 pm

Has anybody succeeded this method in ROS7 (in my case ROS 7.8 on LtAP mini with R11e-LTE)?

I downloaded latest firmware file using PC and transferred to router.

What next steps need to be performed?
Shall I give firmware file particular name?
How to trigger firmware download?

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Apr 13, 2023 8:12 pm

Have you tried the built-in upgrade tool?
/interface/lte/firmware-upgrade [find] upgrade=yes
(or in winbox under Interface > LTE)

Otherwise, @sindy describe a manual download approach, but never tried that method myself.

Hejsan
just joined

Thu Apr 13, 2023 8:31 pm

I got this device today (bought from the local MikroTik reseller). First, I have upgraded RouterOS from v6.x.x to v7.8 and after that, I have updated LTE Modem FW from the WinBox. Everything went smoothly. Device works like a charm. I want to use it in my car, but LTE coverage is not good in some places of the town and I'm looking for the external LTE antennas. So far, could not find them in the internet. Local reseller does not have any suitable antennas and more - they don't know which antennas to recommend :)

Update: I have ordered those antennas and SMA cables/pigtales (made by MikroTik) on iSPsupplies.com web store and got them today. There is a significant increase of the signal quality.