Community discussions

MikroTik App

Cytoplast2281
just joined
Topic Author

Connect CSS326-24G-2S+ to uplink which is access port only

Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:43 pm

I'm trying to configure my CSS326-24G-2S+ @ SwOS 2.13 to an Internet uplink. This uplink doesn't accept to be connected to a switch, and only one MAC address is allowed on this port. If this condition is not reached, the port is simply disabled. Unfortunately this uplink has to be connected to this switch, because the OpenWRT router has only one Ethernet port working in single-arm style. There are multiple VLANs configured both on the switch and the OpenWRT router. Is there anyway to bypass this restriction? Here's the diagram to make it easier to understand.
Diagram.jpg
Any suggestion is much appreciated!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

k6ccc
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Connect CSS326-24G-2S+ to uplink which is access port only

Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:00 pm

I'm not sure I understand your problem. My cable internet connects to a port on a CSS326 that is also running SwitchOS 2.13. That internet connection does not have VLAN tagging. In the switch, I tag the internet traffic as VALN 100 so it can go across a VLAN trunk to a similar switch in my data cabinet that has my router. These screen captures are a bit dated, but show the configuration well enough. On this switch, port 3 is the internet interface, and port 1 is the trunk to the garage data cabinet.
http://extraphotos.info/mikrotik/CSS326 ... -08-24.png
http://extraphotos.info/mikrotik/CSS326 ... -08-24.png
Sorry, I can't imbed the images anymore because my web server does not support https, and at least Chrome will not display a non-secure image into a secure web page. I really need to fix that...
Does this help?

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:15 pm

As @k6ccc explained: it should be running fine. If VLANs are configured right, then internet uplink device will only see MAC address used by corresponding VLAN on your OpenWRT router. L2 switches don't change MAC addresses, used for communication between ethernet devices.

Cytoplast2281
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:35 pm

As @k6ccc explained: it should be running fine. If VLANs are configured right, then internet uplink device will only see MAC address used by corresponding VLAN on your OpenWRT router. L2 switches don't change MAC addresses, used for communication between ethernet devices.
@k6ccc @mkx
Thank you both for your replies and attentions to this post! And I can completely understand your suggestions. However, my scenario is a little bit different.
Actually the main issue here is about "switch detection" from uplink. As I mentioned in my post, the uplink cannot be connected to a switch, otherwise this link is simply disabled. I even tried it with an unmanaged switch without any devices attached to it, and that link is still disabled. If I connect this link to the Ethernet port on my computer and configured with correct IP address, it's enabled after about 15 secs. I think the uplink is controlled by a Cisco L3 switch, which supports "switch detection" or access-port only options.
So my root question is: is it possible for SwOS to bypass this restriction? Any input is appreciated!

EdPa
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Aug 11, 2022 3:18 pm

Hi,

Try disabling the "Mikrotik Discovery Protocol" on the System page and RSTP on the uplink. This should stop generating any packets from the switch, and maybe will bypass the MAC detection.