Community discussions

MikroTik App

jparker
just joined
Topic Author

2 Router Set Up?

Sat Aug 13, 2022 5:16 am

I have an installation where the customer’s building does not have Internet services directly feeding them. Instead, the building is fed from a building approximately 1200 feet away. I know I can install the router in the building where the Internet service comes in, but I am also going to be running a decent network within their building a really need a router in place to control VLANs, DHCP, etc. The main concern I have is if the point to point bridge goes down, I need a router in the actual building utilized by my customer to maintain the private LAN. My thought is a second router, but I need to seamlessly pass VoIP phone service as well as remote camera access to the site. I have never done something this intricate and was hoping for some insight/thoughts on the setup.

Thanks!

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: 2 Router Set Up?

Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:32 pm

Sorry, I've got lost in your abundance of adjectives to "building" (customer's one, actual one, their one, approximately-1200-feet-away-one, ...).

So do you have in mind to place two routers into the customer's building, one of them connected to the main internet uplink using the PtP bridge and the other one to use some LTE/satellite/whatever backup uplink, or do you have in mind placing one router into each of the two buildings? If the latter, Mikrotik devices can simultaneously act as both routers and VLAN-aware switches. So you can bridge some VLANs transparently between the "1200-feet-away" building to the customer's one and set up other VLANs and the routing for them on the router placed in the customer's bulding.

You just have to be careful when choosing the model, it must be able to deal with the expected traffic volume - the "small" ones use the CPU also for L2 forwarding if you deploy a just a little bit advanced L2 features, whereas those primary intended as switches have relatively weak CPUs so their routing performance is by order of magnitude worse than the switching one.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: 2 Router Set Up?

Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:51 pm

Why not a pair of 60ghz cubes to join the building, its high throughput and plugNplay? (thinking wireless wire cube pro)
On the internet side, an rb5009 router to take care of the internet connection DHCP vlans etc........
and at the other end something like a hapac3 to accept the vlans and distribute them out to perhaps a switch or to??
or perhaps direct into a More switch based ROS product............