Community discussions

MikroTik App

sandro1992
just joined
Topic Author

Reset Button and NetInstall

Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:08 pm

Hello everyone, i am very new to networking and especially with Mikrotik devices and due to this i made some critical mistake while configuring firewall without turning on safe mode....

as i guess i did some incorrect and bad input rule and was immediately kicked off the device...I used only Winbox port, telnet and ssh-were disabled on device, plus my internal ip address was mentioned only to be able to access my device.

I tried to enter with console via cable, but unfortunately it does not like this type of cable...on cisco it works fine....

I have next question is it possible to use NetInstall while reset button was disabled on the device? i'm asking this because i don't remember if it was turned on....

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Reset Button and NetInstall

Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:48 pm

The reset button is always available on default unless you DEACTIVATED IT and thus it may not be fixable but others here might have their devious ways!
Netinstall should work! See excerpt from below

In the meantime to avoid such things in the future consider configing off the bridge......
viewtopic.php?p=901360#p901360
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

H. NETINSTALL - should be used if any security concerns arise OR if your firmware version seems to be acting strangely or the firmware version is really old!!

Another way of getting your unit(s) up to date is to netinstall devices. I would say it's preferred because it also installs recent default configuration while upgrades convert running configuration. A few versions between your running ROS and current one brought some big changes and it is possible for upgrade process to fail to convert old config to new one. In addition, new default config makes much more secure setup in certain aspects. In other words, if you are many firmware versions behind, netinstall is the least painless way to get to the latest config and is more secure.

Sage tips/advice on NetInstall if having difficulties......
a. Regarding Etherboot for all devices, the most error-free method is - to press the reset button, keep it pressed, power on the device, and wait until the device shows up in the NetInstall window, then release the button. This holds true for the Audience as well.
b. Try to have a direct cable connection between computer and device (laptop to device for example).
c. A trick which helps for some is to only use a dumb switch in between, nothing else connected.
d. Also on THE COMPUTER being used to run netinstall, there may be issues if there are multiple NETWORK interfaces. If experiencing difficulties on the PC, it is best to ensure all other NETWORK interfaces are turned off.
e. Enable NETBIOS, over TCP/IP ( active vice automatic or disabled )!

User Comment: In my experience, Netinstall often fails to detect devices after the ethernet link to the MT device goes down and up again while netinstall is running.
Either place a dumb switch between the PC and the MT box to netinstall, so the PC ethernet link stays up during reboot while entering Etherboot.
Or first put the MT box in Etherboot mode, wait for the link to come up and start Netinstall after the link is up.

General Refs:
https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/display/ROS/Netinstall
https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/pages/vi ... Id=1409054
https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:E ... set_button
RESET VIDEO FROM MikroTik - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Unz92rABs8

sandro1992
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:56 pm

The reset button is always available on default unless you DEACTIVATED IT and thus it may not be fixable but others here might have their devious ways!
Netinstall should work! See excerpt from below

In the meantime to avoid such things in the future consider configing off the bridge......
viewtopic.php?p=901360#p901360
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

H. NETINSTALL - should be used if any security concerns arise OR if your firmware version seems to be acting strangely or the firmware version is really old!!

Another way of getting your unit(s) up to date is to netinstall devices. I would say it's preferred because it also installs recent default configuration while upgrades convert running configuration. A few versions between your running ROS and current one brought some big changes and it is possible for upgrade process to fail to convert old config to new one. In addition, new default config makes much more secure setup in certain aspects. In other words, if you are many firmware versions behind, netinstall is the least painless way to get to the latest config and is more secure.

a. Regarding Etherboot for all devices, the most error-free method is - to press the reset button, keep it pressed, power on the device, and wait until the device shows up in the NetInstall window, then release the button. This holds true for the Audience as well.
b. Try to have a direct cable connection between computer and device (laptop to device for example).
c. A trick which helps for some is to only use a dumb switch in between, nothing else connected.
d. Also on THE COMPUTER being used to run netinstall, there may be issues if there are multiple NETWORK interfaces. If experiencing difficulties on the PC, it is best to ensure all other NETWORK interfaces are turned off.

User Comment: In my experience, Netinstall often fails to detect devices after the ethernet link to the MT device goes down and up again while netinstall is running.
Either place a dumb switch between the PC and the MT box to netinstall, so the PC ethernet link stays up during reboot while entering Etherboot.
Or first put the MT box in Etherboot mode, wait for the link to come up and start Netinstall after the link is up.

General Refs:
https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/display/ROS/Netinstall
https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/pages/vi ... Id=1409054
https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:E ... set_button
RESET VIDEO FROM MikroTik - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Unz92rABs8

Thank you for reply, i will try tomorrow reset button, hope i have not disabled it....in case it will not reset it means that i have disabled it, i will still try Netinstall with disabled reset button.....in case it might work....

i made very noobish mistake :/

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:08 pm

Not the first, not the last and I would be surprized to find anyone in this forum that hasnt accomplished the same. ;-)

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:22 pm

As far as I know, starting from power-on reset button will always function.
SW hasn't started yet to make it do otherwise.
I could be wrong but it wouldn't make much sense if it isn't like this.

As for netinstall, keep pressing reset until it shows up. It can take multiple tries.

What anav didn't tell (even though I asked him very nicely to add it to his equally nice thread ) is that some users have a lot better luck using Linux instead of Windows for netinstall.
I'm one of them :D

(Now I think of it, maybe we finally found something the Great Llama is afraid of ... Tux :lol: )

Not the first, not the last and I would be surprized to find anyone in this forum that hasnt accomplished the same. ;-)
Oh definitely Yes ! Been there, Done that ...

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:29 pm

Linux, isnt that a disease that leaves scars for life.............. Dont remember the request but you caught me on a good day.

f. Apparently (fart, belch) some users have success using a LINUX computer vice Windows......... hard to believe !!!