Community discussions

MikroTik App

evnox
just joined
Topic Author

periodic ping spikes

Sat Jul 09, 2022 8:03 pm

hi so ive had this internet for almost 6 years and this last 6 months its been a pain in the bum so my problem is that every 5 minutes theres 1 minute of severe spikes in my ping and ive been trying to fix it but i couldnt find anything. my problem started from the day that they started building an apartment in the direction of my isps radio there was a big yellow crane in the way so my isp said that the crane is causing problems but now that the construction is done you would expect my internet to be fixed right ? but no, nothing has changed.
exactly ever 5 minutes i have about 1'20" of ping spikes i ping my isps ip from my mikrotik so theres no excuse for them, the they made me change my access point and lan cables twice idk why this spikes are in order and periodic so i suspected that maybe theres something wrong with my mikrotik. ill attach files of before and after the spikes happen one of them is pinging my isps ip and the other one is a pings graph of a close server that i use i would appreciate any help from anyone who knows anything about these stuff. tia
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

AmirFarro

Re: periodic ping spikes

Wed Jul 13, 2022 4:29 pm

Have you found any solution to fix the problem? If you find any please let me know because I'm suffering from that problem as well.

evnox
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:43 pm

where do u live ?

AmirFarro

Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:09 pm

where do u live ?
Tabriz, Iran

lambert
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sun Aug 21, 2022 10:19 am

If you have a periodic job which runs and uploads something out to the internet, you could have congestion on the uplink or downlink. That could cause latency.

If someone else, anywhere near you has a periodic job which uses the frequency used by the ISPs radio, the interference could cause re-transmits, which cause latency spikes.

If a large device powers up and runs periodically, you can have a power brownout condition which can cause a wide range of symptoms if the voltage sag is deeper than the power supply can handle.

Watch your WAN interference throughput, while watching your latency and see if there are correlations. Also look at ethernet connection statistics for the WAN port.

Latency tells you there is something going on. It is not terribly useful for determining exactly what is going on.