Community discussions

MikroTik App

nertair
just joined
Topic Author

hAP ac2 ->cAP lite

Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:48 pm

Hi everyone.
I got hAP ac2 which I configured (not without the help of this forum) and is working perfectly.
However I do have problems with understanding how can I boost signal in another part of the house by using cAP lite.
So far I have WLAN-Bridge where I have my wlan interface from the hAP ac2 and ether4 (where cAP lite will be connected) added.
Is there any option just to give cAP lite command to copy everything from hAP ac2? So far I managed to create the same SSID on the cAP lite as on the hAP ac2 but failing to configure DHCP relay. Watched some videos and read some articles, but of no help. Also, did I understood correctly that I cannot transmit the virtual SSID (GuestWifi) created on the hAP ac2 to the cAP lite? Is it possible to create the same virtual SSID on the cAP lite and configure DHCP relay for it too?
Everything is configured on 2.4GHz radio. I tried CAPsMAN but then the virtual guest SSID is not working.
Thanks beforehand for any help.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: hAP ac2 ->cAP lite

Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:19 pm

See this article for connecting via ethernet another MT device......
viewtopic.php?t=182276

lambert
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:45 am

I would not use DHCP-relay on the cAP, if it is in the same layer 2 network with the hAP ac2. If in the same broadcast domain, the devices can talk to the main DHCP server without needing a relay service.

You didn't say if the virtual SSID is on a different layer 2/3 network from the main SSID or not. How you duplicate that config on the cAP depends on what the config is.

The most scalable way to make changes to the wireless settings on the hAP and have them (transmitted to/show up) on the cAP is via CAPsMAN. But for that to work well, you have to figure out CAPsMAN and use it to provision the wireless on the hAP the way you want it, then add the cAP.

CAPsMAN does have a significant but not super difficult learning curve for doing more than the basic setup. It took me a while to figure out how to run 4 SSIDs in different L2 networks on campus and specify non-overlapping channels for neighboring cAPs (by keying on the last character of the cAP's identity. Auto frequency was a disaster at random times with 70 devices.). Once figured out, changing/adding/deleting SSIDs and adding new cAPs is now quick and reasonably simple.

nertair
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:30 pm

Hey guys, thanks for the replays, sorry I've been out of country, haven't got the time to give feedback.
So this is what happened.
1) I tried and sucessfully configured the CAPsMAN it worked 1 minuted and... hAP ac2 died. It went into restart loop, and since it was still under warranty I returned it to the distrubutor where I bought the router. They gave me a brand new one, as repair period passed (on the last day they weren't able to import the WiFi lincese in time).
2) 2 days ago when I tried it again on the brand new one, I succesfully conifigured it, and also it worked for less than 1 minute then hAP ac2 went into everlasting reboot. So before I go again to the distrubutor, any ideas?
I had WiFi working fine on the hAP ac2 itself with no problems for 1 month on the new device. The cAP lite is brand new also, bought this JUN 2022. On the first try both hAP ac2 and cAP lite had the same version 7.3.1, now hAP ac2 7.6 and cAP lite 7.3.1. While I was configuring CAPsMAN the router was in Safe Mode, but this didn't help neither.
Could it be because I configured the wifi SSID in the CAPsMAN with the same name as it was without CAPsMAN on the WiFi interface itself? Any idea if I manage to get the router up and running with Netinstall how to import the WiFi license? I really got used to Mikrotik and like it, so I've decided to extend the coverage in my house with 3 cAP lite.

EDIT: Actually I don't have the license backed up...
EDIT2: Second time I configured CAPsMAN I had typing mistake on the SSID under CAPsMAN so it differed from the SSID on the interface and it worked around 5 minutes before I fix the typing mistake, so in the moment I named CAPsMAN SSID as it should, it went into reboot mode.