Community discussions

MikroTik App

fatdollar
just joined
Topic Author

SIM not inserted - New SIM and wAP LTE

Wed Jul 27, 2022 6:19 pm

I'm not sure what is going on with this one. I have 2 wAP LTE Kit US devices. I have 2 new SIM cards and neither of them work in my wAP. I have an older SIM card that works perfectly every time in either device. But when I insert the new SIM cards I get SIM not inserted in the lte interface. I'm running 6.48.6 on both devices. This is a huge problem for me as I have dozens of these out in the field and we are in the process of replacing all of the SIM cards because of account changes and other bureaucratic reasons.

Here is what I've tried so far:
I've tried the SIM card in the wAP SIM doesn't work. I tried an older SIM card it works fine. I tried both SIM cards in a Raspberry pi with and LTE Hat and both SIM cards worked just fine connected to the internet, etc. So I try a second wAP and a second new SIM card. Same results with the first wAP. Old SIM works and both new SIMs are not even detected by the wAP.

I know the SIM cards are good because they do work in the Raspberry Pi. I can also see that the contact marks are being made from the first time I inserted the new SIM cards into the wAP devices (the little scratch marks from the contact points on the face of the SIM card). I get to looking at the new SIM cards and think maybe they are not as flat as they should be and so not all the contacts are being made so I've tied to make the SIM cards thicker with tape and a combo of tape/paper but still SIM card is not detected by the wAP.

So now my only thoughts are that these new SIM cards that I got from my wireless provider are 5G capable - my rep says they are backwards compatible and this has been proven to my by the Raspberry Pi 4G modem working just fine with the SIM card. But I'm very worried that for whatever reason the Mikrotik modem isn't compatible with it and so all of these new SIM cards that I have and need to get deployed in the next month will not work with the wAP.

Any insights/help would be greatly appreciated. This is going to be a huge problem if I can't get this to work because my wireless provider doesn't use the older and only sends out 5G SIM cards.

Let me know of any other information that would help as well.

Regards.

Edit: I attached a log. The SIM not inserted is the while the new SIM is inserted and then as soon as the old SIM is inserted you can see that everything works as expected. But the New SIM seems to just not respond to the CPIN command...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

hecatae
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: SIM not inserted - New SIM and wAP LTE

Thu Jul 28, 2022 5:40 pm

Would you be willing to take one of the wAP LTE to 7.5beta4to see it the latest os and firmware sees the cards?

fatdollar
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:32 pm

Yes I can do that. I was debating it but I'm not sure if its something I can undo if it doesn't work. I will work on that and let you know how it goes.

fatdollar
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Jul 29, 2022 1:22 am

I've updated to 7.5beta4 but I'm not being successful at updating the firmware to the latest version
[admin@MikroTik] > /interface lte firmware-upgrade lte1
  installed: R11eL_v05.03.183961
     latest: R11eL_v05.04.193841
[admin@MikroTik] > /interface lte firmware-upgrade lte1 upgrade=yes 
I've tried this twice now. Seems the modem goes down and then there's no possible way to get the update. Any suggestions? Should I downgrade and update the firmware first?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jul 29, 2022 1:26 am

Try this, at max not work:
check if your provider support another APN

krafg
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:37 am

Check this.

Regards.

fatdollar
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Aug 02, 2022 6:12 pm

Check this.

Regards.
Thanks krafg. I actually did run across this post and I've got one of the adapters ordered and on its way.

I heard back from Mikrotik support after supplying the Supout files for both scenarios...they informed me that the modem is not seeing the SIM card and to update firmware using an adapter as well. :shock: I would have never guessed.

I do have all the drivers and support files that they provided me now. I'll update the thread once I get my adapter and get the firmware updated.

krafg
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:44 am

Yes, for now is the only way to update R11e-LTE-US. Now I see that LTE6 version maybe appears to be also affected. For now R11e-LTE international is not affected.

Regards.

oregev
just joined

Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:07 am

I have wAP-LTE-US running version 7.4 but still cannot see the SIM or connect to LTE.
did anyone succeed to connect to LTE ?

krafg
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Aug 13, 2022 2:24 pm

Check with different ROS versions. If no change, most probably is that your SIM port is damaged.

Regards.

fatdollar
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:23 pm

I have wAP-LTE-US running version 7.4 but still cannot see the SIM or connect to LTE.
did anyone succeed to connect to LTE ?
I'm getting my adapter today so I should be able to have an update soon on if the Modem Firmware update fixed my issue. I will keep you posted.

fatdollar
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:44 am

I finally got the adapter and have successfully updated the firmware using the instructions support gave me:

MPSS: R11eL_v16.02.183961 APSS: R11eL_v05.04.193841 CUSTAPP:

Unfortunately I still have the exact same problem. I tried the current long term version and the most recent beta version 7.4beta11 as well just to see if that helped. I have updated the support team and sent them the supout files for all of the cases I listed above I will update the thread once I hear back from them

krafg
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:50 am

Try to check the SIM port. Mikrotik's SIM port are extremely fragile.

Regards.

fatdollar
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Aug 19, 2022 5:25 pm

Try to check the SIM port. Mikrotik's SIM port are extremely fragile.

Regards.
The SIM port works. I can put in an older SIM card and connect to the network without any problems. The only time I have an issue is using a new "5G capable" SIM card which should be backwards compatible.

fatdollar
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:20 pm

At this point there doesn't seem to be a fix. Mikrotik even remotely accessed my wAP to see if there was a workaround. They could not find a solution. I'm not sure what to do. This honestly looks like a hardware issue to me. In the LTE logs the +CPIN? command is not being responded to and so the wAP does not detect the SIM. However in my other device I can use the +CPIN just fine and there is a response.

I have tried setting and removing a PIN on the SIM card and I get the same result. I was informed by Mikrotik that there is no updated firmware plans.

At this point I'm leaning towards going with some other hardware as this will be a problem in the future.

Thanks for everyone's help.