Community discussions

MikroTik App

tmbrown686
just joined
Topic Author

cAP AC and ISP router for guest network

Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:31 pm

Hello!

I have a client that was sold on Mikrotik technology to set up a business and guest wifi network. Things may not have been set up correctly and never ended up working properly for the client. I had tried to stay away from the project, but now I am involved. Unfortunately, I know nothing about Mikrotik products.

What I have now is one ISP router with SSID A. This is what the client uses for their business (laptops, phones, printers, etc. associated with business members). From this ISP router I have an unmanaged PoE switch with two (2) cAP's plugged in. I would like to use the guest network capabilities in the home AP setup to throttle the bandwidth guest users can have.

When I set the cAPs up with the same SSID as the ISP router, and a guest network with a different SSID, users cannot access either of the SSIDs anymore. I used all of the default options and the internet address in the cAPs is set to DHCP, and is pulling the correct address from the ISP.

One error message I received while attempting to connect to the Guest network was that my password was invalid, even though it was 100% the correct password. Another observation was my device was not being assigned the correct IP information (zero config address instead of something in line with the ISP network).

Thoughts?

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: cAP AC and ISP router for guest network

Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:37 pm

I would get a managed switch and do it all with vlans................
Then use queues, to managed bandwidth.

lambert
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: cAP AC and ISP router for guest network

Sun Aug 21, 2022 10:07 am

My wild guess is that the guest SSID's virtual AP interface has not been added to the correct bridge leading to lack of L2 connectivity to the DHCP server.

You didn't supply configuration information. All we can do is guess.

You didn't specify what the ISP's router is or how it is configured.

Not having used RouterOS before, you are in for a steep learning curve. RouterOS is very flexible, but that means it is *not* quick point and click for anything beyond the basic quickset options.

Sometimes devices will show password errors when having issues with WEP/WPA/2/3 connections no matter what the error is. I've seen it when on AP uses WEP and another is set for WPA2. When the device connected to the second AP, it errored because it was using a different security type than the client device was initially configured to use. Of course, it is also possible, when setting up multiple APs manually, to type the security key incorrectly on one device. The trailing and leading whitespace issues are the worst.

If the guest SSID is in an isolated subnet and managed by the ISPs router, you're going to have to figure out if the ISP's router is using VLANs, or dedicated switch ports on the ISPs router, to allow you to use it on the MikroTiks. I don't know if you mean the ISPs router as the "home router" setup or if you are referring to the "home router" Quickset configuration option.

I usually put my own router behind the ISP's router. Configure my router the way I want it, then hang additional APs behind my router as needed. I would not use a cAP as my router. I'd use something like a hAP ac^2 at the low end, so that I can have enough CPU and multiple ports. Your unmanaged PoE switch might work. It depends on exactly how you are running your guest networks to your primary router.