Community discussions

MikroTik App

tabutak
just joined
Topic Author

ISP - clients with a debt

Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:25 pm

Hi,

I'm currently dealing with a problem. We use a software to control payments from our clients. If they don't pay the software automatically generates a script and uploads it to our main router. There a script runs every 5 mins and it creates an address list entry with client IP (basically the client gets blacklisted through firewall rule that drops http, https etc.). When the clients in debt try to use the browser they are redirected to our page with all the information about whats going on. To get theirs internet to work again they need to pay VIA BANK. And here's the problem - they can't because their access is restricted.

So I'm looking for a way to allow them to access online banking of multiple banks in Czech Republic (lets say 10 banks). My thought is that there would have to be a script that checks the IP's of the banks websites and online banking that runs every other week for example (because the IP's are changing). Then it would need to create and address list and that would be added as an exemption in the rule that drops all traffic and redirects it to our information page.

Any ideas?

Thanks

jvanhambelgium
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: ISP - clients with a debt

Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:59 pm

So you want them to allow to pay through a web-interface to some local Czech banks ?
What if they use their app on smartphones (on Wifi) ? That traffic might be something else than 443, although chances are that in the background it is the same.

If you are an ISP why not do things professionally and work through a online payment provider to make end-user payments ?
Something like below :

https://www.shopify.com/payment-gateways/czechia

You then run a nice looking web-server locally yourself that interfaces with them and the only host allow through the "bad_payer_acl" is that host!
Sure its going to cost you some money but perhaps your fee depends on the amount of transactions etc.
You get a clean interface, secure etc.

Really, your idea to start "whitelisting" the IP's of Czech banks will be a tough job and you will face issues. Not sure how many banks there are but perhaps people don't even use "local" bank but use some Internet bank with account outside Czech etc.

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:51 pm

It's not that bad idea, pretty much everyone has account in one of local banks, so it would be good enough.

Whitelisting websites is generally problematic, because modern ones tend to have tons of unpredictable external dependencies. But these being banks, I'd expect them to know better and host everything on their servers, to have it under control and avoid possible outside influence. If I'm right, then with a bit of luck, simple address list might be enough, e.g.:
/ip firewall address-list
add list=banks address=fio.cz
add list=banks address=www.fio.cz
add list=banks address=ib.fio.cz
Or this thing added in latest v7 beta could make it even easier.

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:44 pm

Add a button.... click here to unlock your internet for another hour for make the payment.........

xyproblem: do not ask what you want to do, but what you want obtain at the end...
Client payment....

When I see the client click on a dedicated link, the ip is added on a whitelist and can surf again unlocked...
(but can be clicked only one time at day).....

jvanhambelgium
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:52 pm

Add a button.... click here to unlock your internet for another hour for make the payment.........

xyproblem: do not ask what you want to do, but what you want obtain at the end...
Client payment....

When I see the client click on a dedicated link, the ip is added on a whitelist and can surf again unlocked...
Good out-of-the-box thinking. This should be approached "low tech" like above.
Perhaps not even allow 1x / day but only once (and perhaps even shape to 1 Mbps or so) !
No pay=No Internet service through your company , it is a simple as that.

(some years back here in when you exceeded your monthly volume the ISP would shape you back to eg. 128Kbps so you could purchase additional volume-block but nothing much more)

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Aug 20, 2022 12:05 am

Customers pay more easily if they are not treated badly, even if they deserve it.

It often happens that even the best and punctual payers can make mistakes, it is a terrible mistake to mistreat them...

tabutak
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Aug 22, 2022 2:29 pm

Client payment....

Sounds like the easiest option but for "reasons" we're not able to add the button (it's not up to us) and thats why I'm looking for something else with firewall rules.