Community discussions

MikroTik App

Milkovsky
just joined
Topic Author

Problems with Netinstall on ROS 7.3+

Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:50 am

Hello.
Recently I have upgraded from 7.2 to 7.3 to 7.31 to 7.4 and cannot downgrade with any of these versions.
The reason for downgrade is that in CAPSMAN I have configured two SSID`s, data and guest, each has its own bridge and datapath. but the guest still uses datapath1 that is for data not guest. So they are in comon ip pool not in guest pool.

I could not figure out why its so, so I wanted to downgrade, was not able since HAP AC that I am using ( RB962UiGS-5Hac ) has only 16mb of hdd and cannot upload 12mb 6.49.6 version. I tried to upload it to usb stick, but i guess its not ment for this purpose also..

So I tried to do Netinstall and found out that holding reset button for any given time just causes reset and the device does not enter netinstall.
I tried serveral netinstall versions / ethernet cables and even computers.

Since this router is in production envoirment, i could not tinker with it for long, so I could replicate this on another HAP AC and everything is 1:1 and cannot downgrade / netinstall not CAPSman works as it was before upgrade..

Does anyone have any clue how to fix capsman or downgrade ?

PS
Please move this topic to appropriate place if its missplaced.
Best regards.

aclarke
just joined

Re: Problems with Netinstall on ROS 7.3+

Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:33 pm

I have a RB5009 with v7.3.1 firmware and tried to upgrade to v7.4 using netinstall. My rationale for using netinstall is that I learned on the forums that netinstall will reformat the drive which supposedly corrects some problems. So, I downloaded latest netinstall64.exe and routeros-7.4-arm64.npk from MikroTik. I tried netinstall twice but received the same error message twice: "Installation failed: No response from router, timeout". Both times, I was able to reboot the router then log back in with winbox so everything still works but I'm stuck at v7.3.1.

I'm running netinstall as administrator on Windows Server 2016 with the following settings:
1) Windows firewall turned off.
2) Computer's ethernet adapter manually set to 192.168.88.2
3) Connected ethernet cable from computer to port#1 on RB5009. All other ports are unpopulated.
4) Netinstall "Net booting" set to provide 192.168.88.3 to RB5009, unchecked "Apply default config" and "Configure script".

Milkovsky
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:25 am

The devices did not show up in netinstall for me, I have feeling that the reset button does not have this functionality any more.
I have tried serveral diffrent times holding button 5,10,15,20,30 etc seconds it reboots at some point and has reset configuration. But did not show in netinstall as a device

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:32 am

May have to do with the way you try netinstall.
See here - paragraph H
viewtopic.php?t=182373

General recommendations:
- perform on device with ONLY ONE active network connection (Windows is known to have quite a bit of hidden interfaces, check Network settings !)
- sometimes putting a stupid switch in between helps
- it can take multiple tries before it hits

Personally:
never got it to work reliably using Windows environment. I use an old laptop with Linux on it for my netinstall-cases (Dell D830 from 2008 :lol: ).
Works first time right each and every time.

Milkovsky
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:06 am

I read the article H and I have foloved and I tried to add switch, thesame.
Router is unplugged from wall socket, i press and hold reset button, I plug in wall socket, it beebs after few seconds, blinks leds as usual.. after a minute or so, it beebs again as it would reboot, then beebs again when it has booted, I can see it in winbox that it has now bootedand can log into it, but it did not show up in netinstal.

I have tried 3 diffrent computers and windows versions, even strelec boot cd to try something diffrent.. every time its all thesame.

Milkovsky
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:19 pm

I can confirm that netinstall feature is broken on routeros 7.4 mipsbe

I installed ubuntu 18.04 with no updates, downloaded netinstall-cli 7.4.1 and run command sudo ./netinstall-cli -r -a 192.168.88.8 routeros-mipsbe-6.48.6.npk
pressed and held reset button and powered it on, it was waiting for routerboard, beeped as before but no efect. i hold the button for two minutes atleast.

i tried to flash another rbsxtr, this time successfully

Milkovsky
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Aug 23, 2022 3:47 pm

Hello.
I have found out that there is no such problem with ARP based products, seems to be mipsbe specific error with netinstall.