Community discussions

MikroTik App

GLOSSY
just joined
Topic Author

How can I see a client's IP on my local DNS dashboard

Tue Aug 30, 2022 2:07 pm

Hello All,
I'm trying to see if this is even achievable, so basically I have a Mikrotik router (IP: 192.168.0.5) and a client ( IP:192.168.0.170) this client uses a static Gateway and DNS which is the IP of the router, as for the DNS I'm using Adguard home with local IP 192.168.0.7, I searched online and tried all possible configs that I could find online and still doesn't work it either works and masks the client's IP with the router's or the client's IP appears on the dashboard but drops internet connection after, I even tried Hairpin but still didn't work after. Anyone have tried to do this and worked?
is there a tutorial somewhere cause now I'm just thinking of giving up.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: How can I see a client's IP on my local DNS dashboard

Tue Aug 30, 2022 4:13 pm

How are you configuring things (LAN devices, router, ...) to use Adguard home? In certain cases it's not possible for adguard server to see LAN device's IP address (e.g. if DHCP server sets router's IP address as DNS server or if router is redirecting DNS requests to interna server), in other cases it's possible to configure things right. But as I said, it very much depends on how exactly you want to have it done.

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Aug 30, 2022 5:14 pm

1) Check if your device, like the latest settings of the latest updates made to the programs, doesn't give a damn about the DNS you give him and uses his own method.
2) Set the AdGuard IP as DNS provided from your DHCP Server / Network

GLOSSY
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Aug 31, 2022 8:31 am

How are you configuring things (LAN devices, router, ...) to use Adguard home? In certain cases it's not possible for adguard server to see LAN device's IP address (e.g. if DHCP server sets router's IP address as DNS server or if router is redirecting DNS requests to interna server), in other cases it's possible to configure things right. But as I said, it very much depends on how exactly you want to have it done.
I'm using the adguard through DNS IP, not through an app/software, and the issue is that we don't have DHCP, all of our IPs' are static (Don't ask me why even I don't know :? and that's an issue for me always) so I need to make this plausible using either MikroTik's DNS which is set on all user's PC (192.168.0.5)
1) Check if your device, like the latest settings of the latest updates made to the programs, doesn't give a damn about the DNS you give him and uses his own method.
2) Set the AdGuard IP as DNS provided from your DHCP Server / Network
As I said that's my main issue our DNS configs and IP configuration is static on all devices.

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Aug 31, 2022 10:25 am

If the MikroTik router is not the gateway, swap the IPs...

GLOSSY
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Aug 31, 2022 3:10 pm

If the MikroTik router is not the gateway, swap the IPs...
the mikrotik is both the gateway and the dns on the employee's device

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Sep 02, 2022 5:17 pm

Yes, it's possible. How exactly, it depends. If clients are using router as resolver and you simply have:
/ip dns
set allow-remote-requests=yes servers=192.168.0.7
Then it most likely won't work, because from Adguard's perspective, the client is router. There is some DNS extension that allows resolver to pass address of original client, but I doubt that RouterOS has that (plus Adguard would have to support it too).

But if you use (or you'd switch to) NAT-based redirection to Adguard, then you can see two possible solutions in this thread: viewtopic.php?t=188164

GLOSSY
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Sep 03, 2022 11:47 am

But if you use (or you'd switch to) NAT-based redirection to Adguard, then you can see two possible solutions in this thread: viewtopic.php?t=188164
That's what I did although it worked in Adguard, although it didn't work when I tried this with pi-hole.

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Sep 03, 2022 1:56 pm

It doesn't matter what DNS software you use, it works on network level.