Community discussions

MikroTik App

wlfz
just joined
Topic Author

Is mesh networking with wire backhaul not feasible?

Tue Sep 06, 2022 6:15 pm

Hello Mikrotikers!

I currently have three single-band Mikrotik devices (RB951Ui-2HnD) on hand, because the installation points of the three APs are all laid with network cables, so I plan to find a Mesh network configuration solution that can use "wired backhaul", which can simultaneously Enjoy the seamless roaming of mesh networks and the stability of wired backhaul without having to repurchase dual-band Mikrotik equipment.

Unfortunately, after searching on the Internet for half a month, I couldn't find a practical configuration solution. I also saw that a friend put forward this demand 10 years ago in this forum, but also no results.

In the introduction of HWMP+ in the official document, there is an explanation about adding ethernet to the Mesh network. Could it be that it is not for the requirement I described?

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Is mesh networking with wire backhaul not feasible?

Tue Sep 06, 2022 6:18 pm

If everything is wired, forget wds and other 10-year-old frills and use CAPsMAN.
3 devices, one on ch1, one on ch6 and the other on ch11.
Same SSID and password, the CAPsMAN only takes care of "copying" the authentication between the APs without the need to carry out the procedure again.
But on the old Wi-Fi, roaming doesn't exist at all, each time the end-user device chooses.

(for each wds device added, the total available bandwidth is the half, 1 device = 100%, 2 devices 50% each, 3 devices 25% each, etc.)

wlfz
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Is mesh networking with wire backhaul not feasible?

Wed Sep 07, 2022 5:29 am

Thank you for your reply. It seems that it is impossible to realize the wire backhaul of mesh network on Mikrotik. I have been struggling with this because I have seen that other brands' products have this scheme, and I am convinced that Mikrotik is not inferior to other brands. Unfortunately, the result is cruel.