Community discussions

MikroTik App

tvguy
just joined
Topic Author

mAP Lite (RBmAPL-2nD) power via POE

Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:22 pm

Good morning,

I have an RBmAPL-2nD I'm attempting to get turned on via PoE. Works fine using the 5v USB lead, but zero LED activity when connected to a POE injector.
The documentation for the mAP lite specifies that it works with passive POE, but also that it supports 802.3af POE switch power.

I am using this injector: https://www.tp-link.com/us/products/det ... E150S.html

While this is an active POE injector, it is also 802.3af compliant.

Can anyone tell me why this POE injector fails to power this mAP lite?

AdminioBanderas
just joined

Re: mAP Lite (RBmAPL-2nD) power via POE

Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:05 pm

The same problem, mAPlite doesnt work via PoE in with TP-LINK TL-PoE150S, D-link DES-1018MP, D-link DGS-1008MP.
Please help

AdminioBanderas
just joined

Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:19 pm

My problem solved by making crossover-cable

garylovesbeer
just joined

Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:29 am

Thank you for the information. I recently bought a POE switch and had to make a crossover cable to power my mAP Lite.

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:05 pm

mremme
just joined

Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:25 pm

Hi,

I recently got a similar issue with a mAP Lite and a Tenda TEG1105 (5x Gigabit PoE port 64W)

I struggled to get out of this trying straight and crossover cable, but no success in getting PoE Working....
then I made the final solution: a straight cable WITHOUT pairs 7-8 (whit brown/brown) and it light up!!!

hope this could help someone
ciao
M

russman
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:22 pm

They have industry standards for a reason, shouldn't need a compatibility chart of switches tested with. In the decades that I've worked in IT I've never had a device that said it supported PoE in 802.3af/at not work with a switch that supplies it. 75% of the time I have to power it with auxiliary power so I quit using it, never ran into this with other mikrotik products like wall mount APs, and small switch/routers, it they all had the same issue no reasonable IT guy would be deploying them for their clients. Mikrotik cheaped out on something here and I'm disappointed, this is essentially false advertisement of capabilities. These little guys could have been very useful but its a crap shoot as to if they will power up off the switch you plug them into.

russman
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Sep 06, 2022 11:17 pm

Update to this. Today I was testing with a non-Lite model (the larger one) and it powered right up in the, in this case Unifi Switch, with no problem where I knew that my map lite wouldn't. Something different there between the two. After looking at the POE-in compatibility chart for the lite unit I noticed it referenced working with cross-over cables with multiple switches. Although it made no sense to me, because I can power the unit via USB and use a straight cable, I decided to make a 1' crossover cable and see if the map lite would power off the unifi switch and it did!!!

Update: Now I see others have had similar success in this thread with switches they were trying to get it to work with... lol

AidanAus
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:22 am

They have industry standards for a reason, shouldn't need a compatibility chart of switches tested with. In the decades that I've worked in IT I've never had a device that said it supported PoE in 802.3af/at not work with a switch that supplies it. 75% of the time I have to power it with auxiliary power so I quit using it, never ran into this with other mikrotik products like wall mount APs, and small switch/routers, it they all had the same issue no reasonable IT guy would be deploying them for their clients. Mikrotik cheaped out on something here and I'm disappointed, this is essentially false advertisement of capabilities. These little guys could have been very useful but its a crap shoot as to if they will power up off the switch you plug them into.
not understanding the advertisement != false advertisement

I think I am biased since I just use Mikrotiks but I dont get the same impression, Mikrotiks documentation is generally spot on most of the time, there has been times where we needed to contact them cos the site and the brochure didn't 100% match up but other than that the PoE documentation on their site is usually pretty good?
Are you able to give us an example of a switch and mikrotik pairing that is not able to run?