Community discussions

MikroTik App

timothyreed
just joined
Topic Author

Speedify Mulit WAN Bonding

Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:11 am

Is there any plans on supporting Speedify WAN bonding? I would really like this implemented into routerOS some how. I have mulitiple 4g LTE WANs and would love to be able to access this as a feature. Speedify has now released a linux Distribution for x86_64 and ARM/ARM64. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_Jo9RZrf5I

Thanks,

mada3k
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: Speedify Mulit WAN Bonding

Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:52 pm

Yet another VPN provider...

What is "Speedify"? round-robin bonded openvpn-tunnels?

timothyreed
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:54 pm

Yet another VPN provider...

What is "Speedify"? round-robin bonded openvpn-tunnels?
I dont think its a round robin approach or a load balancing vpn. It works at the packet level to bond two WAN connections into a single fat pipe. Their is some speed loss associated with it, example two 100mbps don't quite equal 200mbps more like 180mbsp but it is a great solution vs mushroom networks or peplink speedfusion bonding which could reach into the thousands for their routers and not to mention the cost of their cloud bonding solutions. Not to Mention that it is a very elegant solution vs trying to set up another server in the cloud and creating a bonded vpn tunnel. Need a wife and kids approved solution if you know what i mean.

oceanmaster

Wed Dec 25, 2019 6:24 pm

I second this. Perhaps if Speedify just creates the configuration script needed..

ingdaka
Trainer
Trainer

Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:55 am

For me will be better if Mikrotik implement SD WAN, is the same what Mikrotik have now with PCC, but a simple way of configuration!

oceanmaster

Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:34 pm

Then go and start your own thread and ask for it, this is for Multi-WAN Bonding, and specifically for Speedify :D

maxmanus
just joined

Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:12 pm

That would be great, we would love to an integration as well

aoakeley
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:06 am

Perhaps if Speedify just creates the configuration script needed..
Agreed. I don't think mikrotik should be adding additional code to support fringe implementations at this stage (or if ever). There is so much work to do on core functionality first. If it can be implemented within the current functionality through some clever/complex configuration by all means lets have at it. But if it means adding more lines of code to ROS that just means more bugs, and there are enough of them already.

cmurrayis
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:30 am

It's a router not a General population OS that you can install what you like into.

Keep it simple and do what they should be doing best *Routing*

tenedos
just joined

Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:04 am

Reviving this thread. Is there anything similar to PepLink's SpeedFusion for Mikrotik? It can be speedify, a generic SD-WAN solution or whatever. The only reason I keep a Peplink router is to use SpeedFusion over multiple LTE links. Being able to do this on Mikrotik, would be a gigantic win and a good revenue source for Mikrotik since this is inherently a subscription service.

andreacoppini
Trainer
Trainer

Sat May 22, 2021 9:56 pm

I'm just here to say.... +1

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat May 22, 2021 10:11 pm

Last edited by rextended on Mon Mar 20, 2023 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bradknowles
just joined

Tue May 25, 2021 9:48 am

Reviving this thread. Is there anything similar to PepLink's SpeedFusion for Mikrotik? It can be speedify, a generic SD-WAN solution or whatever. The only reason I keep a Peplink router is to use SpeedFusion over multiple LTE links. Being able to do this on Mikrotik, would be a gigantic win and a good revenue source for Mikrotik since this is inherently a subscription service.
I’m also looking for a better alternative to Peplink Speedfusion or OpenMPTCPRouter.

Especially one where I don’t have to provide my own VPS on the other side, and where the connection can be encrypted with OpenVPN or WireGuard.

That’s actually the only reason why I created an account for this forum.

SiB
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:57 pm

I’m also looking for a better alternative to Peplink Speedfusion or OpenMPTCPRouter.
Especially one where I don’t have to provide my own VPS on the other side, and where the connection can be encrypted with OpenVPN or WireGuard.
At Oracle Cloud you can run a VPS at ARM for free with decent parameters. New ros7.1 give us new option to do that. I hope this can be possible all to finish your idea.

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:33 pm

They put Zerotier on the routers... why not a package to support speedify?

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jul 12, 2022 3:44 pm

I have been emailing with speedify.

They have a VPN set up where they send packets over MULTIPLE CHANNELS AT ONCE. These packets are assembled at a VPS that should be nearby. Then sent on to final destination.

The reverse is true when packets come back.

So yes... it can "Go faster" than one of your single services.
Your servers will use the IP address of the VPS.
When one ISP goes down, the connection to the VPS does not change IPs or break. It slows. This keeps connections from breaking.

Using Bigleaf for this costs several hundred dollars a month.

Speedify can do it on the device for a couple of bucks.

If I could put this INFRONT of my routers... this would be awesome. Plus a whole lot cheaper than BigLeaf.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jul 12, 2022 3:56 pm

Hey gotsprings, I think you can run speedify on a rasp pi........

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jul 12, 2022 10:48 pm

Hey gotsprings, I think you can run speedify on a rasp pi........
I saw that. But then you are playing with a device that doesn't even have the proper ethernet jacks.

Plus... where could you get a Pi these days?

I wonder if I could use an old RB??? hmmm.

tiernano
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:58 am

If I could put this INFRONT of my routers... this would be awesome. Plus a whole lot cheaper than BigLeaf.
So, I did this as a test using an Intel NUC with a couple of 4G and 5G links, and it "works" in that you have an internet connection. Whatever you hand off to will have an internal IP, and even the NUC on the Speedify side has an internal IP. With the standard package, there is no port forwarding, no IPv6 (from the last time I checked) and the max speed is a 1Gb link shared with other users. You can get a "Dedicated Server", which looks to be a VPS, for around 120 per month extra, which is also limited to 1Gb/s and has a 3TB bandwidth cap but does support static IPs and port forwarding... Ideally, if they offered the software for you to install on your instance and added IPv6 support, with, maybe, the option of routing IPs through the network, that would be handy. Another option would be to have Zerotier on your Mikrotik, then speedily in front. Route your static IP (v4 and/or v6) over Zerotier and happy days. Even better would be Zerotier supporting FULL load balancing...

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:04 pm

The dedicated server... Provides for a public IP address and the ability to port forward.

That's 240 bucks a month in BigLeaf.

Closer to $83 in Speedify.

tiernano
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:10 pm

yea, BigLeaf will be more expensive... If you don't need more than 1Gb max speed, Speedify should do the job... Less than 2-300mb/s, you might even get away with non-dedicated.

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Aug 20, 2022 1:11 am

Built a Ubuntu Desktop this week, on a box with 4 ethernet jacks, a 2.4 radio, and 4 USB. Installed speedify. Configured network manager and put it infront of my hAP AC2 after my ISP.

Seems to be working so far.

tiernano
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sun Aug 21, 2022 2:32 am

what kind of links do you have and what kind of speeds are you getting? whats the spec of the box infront of the mikrotik?

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Aug 21, 2022 3:05 am

Qotom X86 Mini PC Q190G4N Intel celeron J1900 Processor, Quad core 2.0 GHz, 8GB RAM,64GB SSD, WiFi, Fanless Mini PC 4 LAN

I don't see any difference with a dedicated server... but thats with only one link right now. I need to get a second WAN for better testing.

When i hit the bypass button... 900/900. When I turn on speedify... drops down into the 300 range. I need to see if that is encryption or something else going on.

tiernano
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sun Aug 21, 2022 3:46 am

I don't think it's the encryption. Check other servers in your area on speedify. On my 2 links, totalling 3gb, I can never get about 650mb... the server has other users. That's the dedicated option.

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Aug 29, 2022 2:49 am

Paid for a dedicated server.

I think there is a IP geolocation problem with it. Some services say I am not in the US. One service even told me I was in Canada.

I am located in Maryland and set the server as Virginia.

Couldn't access several sites.

Flipped to a non dedicated server and they worked.

The sub 300 thing...
I had the software on my Ubuntu Mini computer to sit in front of my Tik.

Put the software on my windows computer, and got almost the exact same numbers.

Tried with encryption on and off... I think it was actually quicker with it on. But not by much.

Sent a bunch logs over the weekend.

Hopefully I will hear something back this week.

But so far... This looks like a project I should abandon.

tiernano
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon Aug 29, 2022 9:54 am

I have been doing some tests with zerotier but not on mikrotik (my rb5009 got rmaed and waiting for a replacement). Anyway, I got a 1gb and 2gb link and can current get around 3-400mb/s with it with load balancing. More tweaks are needed, but it does seem to be a little faster than speedify, cheaper (as in free) and I can use my own hardware and ip space...

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Aug 29, 2022 1:12 pm

I did/do run Zerotier on my SWITCH. So that's been there the whole time.

Using the NON dedicated server option... Zerotier still works.

But a 66% speed reduction. And some sites not working at all due to IP geolocation (which should have been a non issue when I bought a dedicated server)... They get one more week before I kill the dedicated server option.

The service in general will likely follow.

tiernano
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon Aug 29, 2022 4:01 pm

what i am using is just zerotier, without Speedify. I have a box on prem running Zerotier with 2 WAN links. i have a box in the cloud running Zerotier acting as a gateway. all traffic goes over the zetotier link to the box in the cloud. i skip Speedify altogether... the box in the cloud could be bumped in speed and be faster than what Speedify offer.

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Aug 29, 2022 4:51 pm

what i am using is just zerotier, without Speedify. I have a box on prem running Zerotier with 2 WAN links. i have a box in the cloud running Zerotier acting as a gateway. all traffic goes over the zetotier link to the box in the cloud. i skip Speedify altogether... the box in the cloud could be bumped in speed and be faster than what Speedify offer.
Ok I am more than intrigued... how are you using 2 WANs at once?

tiernano
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:32 pm

so, on linux, you can set Zerotier to use Multi Path (https://docs.zerotier.com/zerotier/multipath/). Its still somewhat early stages, and i cant get it to give me more than 4-500Mb/s over a 3Gb/s link, but its getting there...

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Sep 11, 2022 9:12 pm

I have moved onto the next thing to test...

OpenMPTCP.

How is it there is a config for EdgeRouters... But not Tiks?

Retasked that small PC to run OpenMPTCPRouter.

Speed test are in the 700s.

Have to use UDP for the VPN connection as the TCP connection would loose packets and get really long pings.

Will probably start a new thread for it.

However .. if Tiks can run OPENWRT... It would seem OpenMPTCP should work too.

tiernano
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon Sep 12, 2022 3:47 pm

Most mikrotiks cant run OpenWRT though... and the ones that do are actually X86 machines...

woland
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Sep 12, 2022 4:41 pm

Hi!
ToH (Table of HW) for Openwrt compatible Mikrotik devices:

https://openwrt.org/toh/start?dataflt%5 ... D=Mikrotik

There are 73 devices on this list and lost of them are ARM or MIPS ....

W

Sorry couldn´t stand it... :)

tiernano
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon Sep 12, 2022 7:51 pm

But then it's running openwrt not mikrotik. It's like asking Apple for software support on a Mac that's running Windows.

woland
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:53 pm

Of course you don´t get support from MT for OpenWRT. If that´s an issue, then don´t install OpenWRT.
OpenWRT is a nice alternative for some cases (eg. if you don´t get along well with RoS but have 10 years of Linux experience or something is missing from RoS which you desperately need).

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Sep 13, 2022 1:24 pm

But then it's running openwrt not mikrotik. It's like asking Apple for software support on a Mac that's running Windows.
Maybe they could put it in a container.

tiernano
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Sep 13, 2022 3:14 pm

Hmmm.... containers... That might just work... even with Speedify... now thats interesting...