Community discussions

MikroTik App

Tharun252
just joined
Topic Author

Point to Multipoint Communication

Mon Sep 12, 2022 7:49 am

Hi all,
Our application is transferring video data from remote location to control room. The distance between them is maximum 7KM.
There are three(3) Remote locations and each has its own Camera, Storage and Netmetal 5.
The master location has a Netmetal 5 and storage. It has to receive all three remote locations data and Display it.
The storage and displaying part is done by a third party software.
The LOS is clear, Since it is a Sea.
The antennas are powerful enough to transmit.

The current configuration I have done is,
MASTER LOCATION-ACCESS POINT (WITH THREE REMOTES IN ITS ACCESS LIST)
REMOTE LOCATION-STATION BRIDGE(SCAN AND CONNECT TO ACCESS POINT)

I did not do much of settings. But the current in house checking(Radios were right next to each other) has been done and it is working as it is intended to be.
I want to know that the current config is correct?
If not, What else has to be done?

If there is anything that I want to add in this to make it more understandable, Kindly Let me know.

Thanks,

THARUN :)

AidanAus
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Point to Multipoint Communication

Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:37 am

The LOS is clear, Since it is a Sea.
Dont forget that due to how the wireless radiation happens even through its clear line of sight you might still have some issues due to how the transmission separates into Fresnel zones and the reflections on the water etc.

going to the main questions I it will be hard to say since your configuration is not posted so please do so in your next response (make sure you take out all sensitive)
To be honest this is just a simple config, all you need to do is make sure your AP is set up as ap-bridge and the clients to station bridge then connect them all wirelessly, using the access and connect lists is handy when wanting to specify different wireless clients by mac but its hit or miss for me on this one i.e dont see any real benefit or negative applications if set up right other than setting up access lists etc is more effort than the blanket rules.

From there you just have to bridge all the wireless interfaces to their respective ports and you are done, after this you will need to set up security etc https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:S ... our_Router

One thing to note about setting it up this way is that there is a limitation with the layer 2 headers when going over the wireless interface, to forward layer 2 packets correctly there needs to be 4 mac addresses involved, one for the ultimate source, one for last source, one for ultimate destination and next destination i believe.
So when we go over the wireless interface the ultimate source gets cut off, so when the traffic returns it has no clue on where it actual came from.
Each vendor has their own way around this but mikrotiks was to hold a translation table on the client side as well as the ap side.
This is not 100% transparent layer two connections but it is pretty damn close, the only other way to get around this/if you 100% all the layer two information un-touched what you can do is create eoip interfaces between them as it will actually encapsulate the layer 2 packet in a layer 3 so that way the outside layer 3 packet will be the one edited and the layer 2 packet inside will not be changed until it gets to the other side of the EoIP tunnel where is gets decapsulated :)

Tharun252
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Sep 13, 2022 7:46 am

Hi,
Thanks for the reply, So you are saying that the Current Access point and station bridge mode Configuration should work properly!
Also Can I Share the Backup files so that you can check the Configuration.

Thanks,
THARUN

AidanAus
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Sep 14, 2022 5:36 am

Also Can I Share the Backup files so that you can check the Configuration.
I would not suggest sharking the .backup file, this is half in some machine or binary language not sure and the other half is text, no way to read this unless we install it into another device the exact same model as it came from.

Instead if you look at the top right hand side of webfig or if you look to the lower portion of the main menu on the left hand side of winbox you will see there is an option saying new terminal, please select this and then use:
export file=(file name here if included spaces use "") hide-sensitive

That should get most of the stuff you dont want to share but I would highly recommend looking over the export file and making sure it doesn't include any other information like public ips etc that you dont want to share.

Once this has been generated you will need to go to the main menu of webfig and winbox and find the files option, click that and from winbox drag and drop the file to your desktop or from webfig click the download button and upload it here.