Community discussions

MikroTik App

Reeman
just joined
Topic Author

router hanging for 20s

Wed Sep 14, 2022 12:24 pm

my custemer has a WISP with 1200 user and has ccr1072-1g-8s+ connected to multiple towers, each tower is connected to the router as PPPOE . the problem accures when the elecricity is cut off on a certain area and all users in that area are dissconnected at the same time the router is hanging for a certain time.

when he went to the router location and unplug a random cable of one of the towers, the router hang for approxmetly 20 seconds , all the leds are off then after 20s its works normally.

he had a 1036 router and he think the problem was because it is overloaded then he replace it with 1072 and the problem is still.

whats the problem with the routers?

thank u for your time

Buckeye
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: router hanging for 20s

Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:22 am

he went to the router location and unplug a random cable of one of the towers, the router hang for approxmetly 20 seconds , all the leds are off then after 20s its works normally.
That's an interesting troubleshooting technique.
whats the problem with the routers?
probably nothing.

I'm not sure why, but this post reminded me of this joke. Engine Failure

Paternot
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Thu Sep 15, 2022 5:49 am

I remember something along these lines on the forum - do a search and You will find it.

If I'm not mistaken, the solution is to run two different CCRs: one doing PPPoE - and with connection tracking disabled - and the other doing NAT, firewall and the rest. The problem happens when one customer disconnects: then one core has to parse everything on the connection tracking table, and gets overloaded. This creates a rolling problem, with one connection going down after another.

Without connection tracking the problem disappear, since there is nothing to parse. But run a search on the forum and do a test on lab first - I read it a long time ago, and may be wrong.

Znevna
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:52 am

Your custemer should hire someone qualified to get the job done.

Reeman
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:38 pm

I remember something along these lines on the forum - do a search and You will find it.

If I'm not mistaken, the solution is to run two different CCRs: one doing PPPoE - and with connection tracking disabled - and the other doing NAT, firewall and the rest. The problem happens when one customer disconnects: then one core has to parse everything on the connection tracking table, and gets overloaded. This creates a rolling problem, with one connection going down after another.

Without connection tracking the problem disappear, since there is nothing to parse. But run a search on the forum and do a test on lab first - I read it a long time ago, and may be wrong.

thank you , its very helpful :)