Community discussions

MikroTik App

pkelly1603
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Dual SIM LHG-R

Thu Sep 15, 2022 6:49 pm

Is there plans to make a LHG-R with dual SIM slots?

We are starting to deploy these but my biggest hesitancy is that they only have one SIM slot so if something happens to the primary SIM or carrier changes to plan, we can't easily re-activate a new account for existing deployments without having someone go on-site to every device. In the past, we've used other vendor LTE radios that have dual sim slot and it saves us a lot of time and money if we are required to move to a new plan or carrier to replace an old plan.

krafg
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Dual SIM LHG-R  [SOLVED]

Fri Sep 16, 2022 4:06 pm

Remember that LHG is a very high directional antenna and if you need change operator, most probably you need redirect the antenna on site.

I think that for this reason it's only with one SIM port.

Regards.

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Dual SIM LHG-R

Fri Sep 16, 2022 4:12 pm

@krafg
👏

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Sep 16, 2022 4:15 pm

@pkelly1603
Can you take SIM cards from the future and put them in the device in advance?
Whichever case you mentioned, expect to know in advance what will happen in the future.

And the case is valid, in case of breakage, since 1997 I have never broken a SIM ...

pkelly1603
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Wed Jul 26, 2023 9:27 pm

Interesting that this is marked "Solved" as there was no solution proposed except to ignore the question.

SIMS do fail. If you haven't ran into this yet, you haven't deployed enough of these. Also, typically if the carrier marks the area as covered, an LHG R will connect even with major misalignment. Overall, the antenna is not very focused but yes in comparison to other LTE alternatives, it is more focused.

Also, providers make changes where they phase out plans. In this case, switching to another plan sometimes requires a new SIM. Or sometimes requires changing to another carrier. These are the primary use case for an additional SIM slot.

krafg
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jul 28, 2023 5:06 am

If SIMs fails it's due bad quality or bad manipulation. I still use same SIM card from 2017 on my MK and 2015 on my smartphone.

It's simple, use 2 LHG + some additional router like hEX or another one for fail over, load balancing or what you want, or use LtAP with good directional external antennas. I personally use this last one with failover + PBR.

Regards.

PD: If my memory not fails me I think that some SXT for LTE has double SIM port.

Probably you will wait 3 years more and no will release LHG with double SIM. Best use existing solutions or go to another brand.