MikroTik App

NULUSIOS
just joined
Topic Author

Work as a WiFi client and/or repeater and be accessible to configure

Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:49 am

The scenario I had working until a few days ago at home, was like this:

- A hAP ac^2 was used as my 2nd AP.
- In an area where I had no LAN connectivity (actually I had but someone destroyed but that is another story), I had to connect a device so I used an RB951G-2HnD as a WiFi client.

This scenario was working (don't even remember exactly how I set it up, as it was few years ago), BUT I had lost any admin access to 951, both over WiFi and over LAN (tried connecting a laptop with a static IP, directly to it, on all it's LAN ports).
I let it be though, as it was simply working.

A few days ago, I replaced my ac^2 with another vendor device (sorry). I set up SSIDs etc. the same way, so everything (mobile devices and IoT devices) worked transparently like nothing changed.
EXCEPT the 951.
For some reason, it doesn't seem to work as a client to the new AP. It is not a WiFi issue, as the new AP reports the 951 connected and assigned IP (which is assigned by my router on the 951's MAC - but never actually had access to that IP as I said above, I just let the assignment be anyway).

Since I cannot have admin access, I cannot really see what the probelm is.

So I am looking solution for ANY of the following:
1- Gain admin access somehow without factory reseting it (possible?).

2- RE-configure from scratch (factory reset it), make it a client again, but in a way I still get admin access maybe over one of its LAN ports, for resolving issues, updating etc.

3- Replace it with ("retired") ac^2 but since ac^2 is dual band, somehow make it work also as a repeater (I need some further extension of WiFi range where the device is, anyway). Also I prefer to "over"-utilize ac^2 than retire it (prefer to retire 951).

4- A mix of #2 and #3, where 951 is just a client and ac^2 is connected to it as an AP, so it practically creates a repeater. But I hate this scenario (and has terrible WAF - remember this is at my house).

Best to worse: 3, 1, 2, 4.

Can someone point me to the right direction?
Thank you.

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Work as a WiFi client and/or repeater and be accessible to configure

Fri Sep 16, 2022 2:05 am

You lost the admin access from 28 aug 2019...
viewtopic.php?t=151596

NULUSIOS
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Sep 17, 2022 2:07 am

Yes, I know. How does this help?

BartoszP
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Sep 17, 2022 10:06 am

What is the real problem? Lost admin access or lack of connectivity or what?

Ask the proper question to let others give you the helpful answer.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:12 am

The real problem as I see it is OP's general lack of knowledge about ROS and networking. Hence he can't phrase a concrete question.

NULUSIOS
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Sep 19, 2022 4:20 pm

The real problem as I see it is OP's general lack of knowledge about ROS and networking. Hence he can't phrase a concrete question.
I didn't know the forum admins allow this kind of behavior.
My knowledge on networking, is my business, not yours.
Now if being involved in networking since the days of BNC connectors and token ring (and continuously onwards), counts as "lack of knowledge" to you, really couldn't care less.
ROS knowledge indeed way less, sorry. I believed my Cisco and HP Procurve certs would cover for it, seems they do not.
What makes your post worse (which is the best word to describe it - I had many others), is that you actually post this as a reply to a "beginner basics" thread.
Pathetic.

What is the real problem? Lost admin access or lack of connectivity or what?

Ask the proper question to let others give you the helpful answer.

Sorry, I didn't visit the forum for a few days, being busy with other work.
Let me clarify and give update.
I think I made the two problems rather clear:

1- I don't have admin access to 951 device on any LAN port or WiFi, after I configured it as WiFi client. It kind of makes sense, yet, I would like to have some way to administer the device even in client mode. I did ignore the issue until now, because the device simply worked ok.

2- After I changed the main AP on my network (other brand), even though I retained WiFi settings (notably SSIDs, WiFi passwords, encryption mode compatibility), 951, contrary to other WiFi clients in the area, didn't connect.
THE UPDATE IS, that it eventually DID connect. I didn't change anything. It just connected after some time (or hours). It is possible that because it is a fully fledged router and not a basic AP (or dumb client), it actually initially refused to work on a device with different MAC address or something like that, some security issue. I hardly know RouterOS to know of possible reasons.
Thing is, it resolved itself and now I am left with problem #1, because I want to prevent issues like #2 in the future.

So again:
- Looking into gaining admin access without factory reseting the device.
- OR looking into factory reseting, reconfiguring as client, but this time retaining admin access even by manually configuring one of the LAN ports to do that.
Any help with those?

But also (and since there is an ac^2 just laying around), I am looking into having an extra AP in the same place.
So the extra question is:
- I suspect since 951 now works as client and does give networking to its Ethernet ports, I can possibly attach ac^2, on it and make it a new AP, so the "set" of 951 and ac^2, will work as a repeater. BUT can I instead make ac^2 replace 951 and use the single device for both roles? In other words be client (probably on one band) and an AP (possibly on the other band)?

So, if someone did understand my two questions, please help.
If someone just wants to be a smart*ss like mkx, just ignore the thread.

Thank you.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Sep 19, 2022 5:06 pm

Knowing how to configure Cisco and Procurve doesn't necessarily help you configure Mikrotik (just like speaking English and Mandarin doesn't necessarily help you speak Hindi). And being around computer networks since BNC connectory and token ring doesn't necessarily make you advanced network engineer in modern times.

Over&Out

NULUSIOS
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:02 pm

Ignoring the unneeded posts, I am still waiting for some actual help if someone could...
@BartozP ?

Ca6ko

Tue Sep 20, 2022 3:42 pm

In the time that you are waiting for advice, you could have set everything up again a long time ago.
The best option is 4. Wifi client 951 should be placed in a place where you can get the best signal level and speed, respectively AC2 access point should be placed in a place where there are most of its clients. As you can understand these two places are quite different.
Setup 951 after resetting and upgrading ROS 6, go to Quick set up, select the CPE mode, check the Bridge (not Router) checkbox, enter the rest of the parameters you need. Plug it in and see if it works, you will also see the signal strength and the neighbors disturbing you. Select the place where the level of your point is the best, the interfering is the minimum.
Once everything is working, connect and configure AC2.
PS Probably now your 951 is configured as a router try to connect to it through the LAN port, with the help of WinBox program and switch to the neighbors tab. Try the connection by MAC.