Community discussions

MikroTik App

troy
Topic Author

ROS7 - Set BGP Communities in /ip/route ?

Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:20 pm

In ROS6, one could set bgp-communities in /ip route. How does one do this in ROS7? My config gets clobbered when upgrading in the lab and makes me quite fearful to do it in production.

ROS6:
/ip route
add bgp-communities=555:400 distance=250 dst-address=10.20.30.0/24 type=blackhole

After upgrade to ROS7, no more communities and not finding anything else in the new config that replaces it.

/ip route
add blackhole disabled=no distance=250 dst-address=10.20.30.0/24

mrz
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: ROS7 - Set BGP Communities in /ip/route ?

Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:29 pm

BGP attributes must be set in the routing filters. Setting BGP attributes for non-BGP routes did not make much sense. It was only good for testing, aka an easy and fast method to generate fake BGP routes.

troy
Topic Author

Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:28 pm

MRZ,

I would agree that setting bgp attributes for non-bgp route doesn't make sense, but if a filter is using the community to decide whether or not to advertise a route, then being able to set the community in the local routing table makes perfect sense.

In ROS6, if I want to create a local route and have it advertised to the rest of my network, peers, or transit providers, all we need to do is create the blackhole route for the prefix and set the community.

In ROS7, we not only have to create the blackhole route, but now we also have to create a filter to assign a community to it, effectively doubling the work (and chances to make a mistake).

IMO, MT should bring back the ability to set some BGP attributes while creating anchor routes.

NeuST
just joined

Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:47 pm

BGP attributes must be set in the routing filters. Setting BGP attributes for non-BGP routes did not make much sense. It was only good for testing, aka an easy and fast method to generate fake BGP routes.
Please, could you give us an example of how the output filter would be configured to send a community?

Thanks

mrz
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Nov 03, 2022 8:59 am

pang
just joined

Fri Mar 03, 2023 1:11 am

Our company also add BGP communities for static routes. it is used for easy and fast updating of BGP communities and propagate BGP announcement to Juniper Routers and then to our upstream transit provider. like blackholing an IP that is under DDOS, sending under attack prefix to clean pipe service.

We are managing like 500 announcements. Each announcement has lots of communities. Each communities represent an announcement to a particular upstream/peer.
each announcements must be able to update BGP communities without interfering other. If routerOS v7 requires to set BGP communities in filter only, then it will be like hundreds of filter rules. It will just be unmanagable and too complicated for some of our technician. So, please consider to add the features back.