Community discussions

MikroTik App

Artanis
just joined
Topic Author

Link aggregation on Windows - how to?

Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:53 pm

Hi!
As many of you have most likely noticed, many newer premium motherboards these days comes with a dual NIC interfaces. I would like to play around and try to set up a link aggregation (using both NICs of the motherboard, under Win11 OS, to connect to the same Mikrotik router and get close to twice the normal throughput of a single NIC). I found an official documentation and tutorial for configuring Link aggregation (called "Bonding" in Mikrotik terminology), but it's intended to connect together two Mikrotik devices, instead of connecting a PC to the Mikrotik in such manner.

Can someone please suggest is the link aggregation between the PC and Mikrotik router is possible, and if so, what would be the configuration on the Mikrotik and on Windows 11 side?
Many thanks in advance for your patience!

P.S. As I have no practical daily workloads that would saturate even close to the theoretical speed of even a single NIC, this is not intended for an actual permanent use. I just want to configure this, run some network benchmarks for my own fun, and that's it - just for educational purposes.

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Link aggregation - how to?  [SOLVED]

Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:32 pm

This question about LACP / 802.3ad is more for Microsoft® forum than MikroTik forum.

The Microsoft® NIC Teaming™ is available only on Windows® Server editions, starting from version 2016.

OR

Your motherboard must provide a tool to configure the two integrated NICs on that way.