just joined
Topic Author

hAP ac2 in bridging

Thu Sep 01, 2022 8:41 pm

Hi!
I have a hAP ac2 which I would like to use as following:
- access-point to my lan;
- lan connected to port 1 (internet/POE in) because of POE;
- Internet from the factory would be connected to port2 (instead of the usual wan port);
- Internet from the factory would be accessed as DHCP client;
- I would like to retain the web setup interface for later access to it (with an assigned IP);
- I would like to have DHCP active on lan (with a smaller pool);
- Firewall and such security stuff I would like to retain;

In short I'd like to have port 2 as wan and port 1 as lan, otherwise I'll keep all routing and DHCP functionality!

Up until now:
- If I simply turn on bridge mode, DHCP remains on with 192.168.178.x IP addresses - not OK as I have an other IP range mandatory because some industrial equipment;
- If I change the OP of the hAPac2 before I switch to bridge mode, then I lose the webfig interface (can not connect anymore) - obviously not good for future)
- If I kill all the firewall rules then everything works, but no routing and no security...

I don't want you to feed me with spoon but I'm getting crazy. I taught that by replacing in Bridge»Ports»ether2 with ether1 and by adding in Interfaces»Interface list»ether2 to WAN my problem would have been solved, but unfortunately not...

Running 6.45.9

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: hAP ac2 in bridging

Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:08 pm

First of all upgrade to 6.48.6, then come back.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:17 pm

After upgrading and before coming vack, reset device to default configuration ... so we can start off from some solid starting point.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:35 pm

Please post network diagram i got lost in your explanation.

edepalos
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:37 pm

First of all upgrade to 6.48.6, then come back.
Sorry. It was an error from my side. The correct version is: RouterOS v6.49.5 (stable).

edepalos
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:44 pm

Please post network diagram i got lost in your explanation.
I have a LAN, 192.168.178.XXX /24
I have a WAN (PPPoE).
I have a hAP ac2. hAP ac2 can be powered by POE on eth1 (eth2-5 is only POE output), but in standard config that is a WAN port. I would like to switch eth1 with eth2, that is eth1 to be LAN just like eth3, eth4, eth5, and eth2 to be WAN, because I have POE comming from my LAN, but not from the WAN. I dont want to use those POE extractor piggys...
Otherwise everything would be as usual, just the DHCP pool should be reduced to 192.168.178.1-50.

Thanks,
Ede

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:56 pm

I'll assume your hAP ac2 is in pretty default "Home AP" configuration. If it's not, then post output of /export hide-sensitive (run from terminal window).

There are a few steps to swap ether1 and ether2 interfaces/ports:
  1. unplug anything that might be plugged to ether2, it needs to be out of use during reconfiguration
  2. change MAC address of bridge ... copy MAC address of any ethernet port that is member of bridge except of ether1 or ether2 and set it on /interface bridge
    /interface bridge set [ find name=bridge ] admin-mac=[  /interface ethernet get value-name=mac-address ether5 ] auto-mac=no
    It's quite likely you'll loose administrative access to the device at this point. Reboot device and connect again.
  3. remove ether2 port from bridge
    /interface bridge port remove [ find bridge=bridge interface=ether2 ]

4. Add ether2 to WAN interface list
    /interface list member add list=WAN interface=ether2

5. move PPPoE client from ether1 to ether2
    /interface pppoe-client set [ find ] interface=ether2

6. check if anything else regarding WAN is bound to ether1 (e.g. DHCP client or something like that) and move it to ether2
  7. move WAN cable from ether1 to ether2 and verify that you have internet
  8. remove ether1 from WAN interface list
    /interface list member remove [ find list=WAN interface=ether1 ]

9. add ether1 port to bridge
    /interface bridge port
    add bridge=bridge port=ether1

10. verify that plugging a LAN device to ether1 allos that device to communicate with LAN properly.
  11. shutdown hAP ac2, unplug power adapter from power jack.
  12. plug ether1 to PoE switch (or whatever you want to get power from). Make sure device starts and it performs as it should.

BTW, I'd use ether5 as WAN port ... so that the extreme port is different than the rest. Makes placing "WAN" sticker over the correct port easier too :wink:

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:14 pm

ur in good hands with mkx, no diagram, no config, no helpy