Community discussions

MikroTik App

gide
just joined
Topic Author

RPi VPN and DNS server with MikroTik RB960PGS

Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:11 am

Hello Members
My first time post as the ISP has used the above router for our internet connection.
In the past I have used ADSL broadband with another router/modem and RPi as DNS server. From now onward I would like to install a VPN on the RPi. Additionally use the RPi as DNS server.
Would anyone of you be so kind and help me through this on the RB960PGS side? Would be really nice.

MickeyT
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: RPi VPN and DNS server with MikroTik RB960PGS

Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:56 am

If you've already got the RPi providing local DNS services then you only need to configure the RB960PGS to allow it to have Internet access.

What sort of VPN system do you want to use (The currently recommended ones are WireGuard and OpenVPN but you could also use L2TP/IPsec, IKEv2 or SSTP)? Are you setting the RPi up as the VPN server?

gide
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:24 pm

If you've already got the RPi providing local DNS services then you only need to configure the RB960PGS to allow it to have Internet access.

What sort of VPN system do you want to use (The currently recommended ones are WireGuard and OpenVPN but you could also use L2TP/IPsec, IKEv2 or SSTP)? Are you setting the RPi up as the VPN server?
Thanks
Pihole is installed though disabled at this stage as I had some trouble with the.DNS server settings.I would have to disable DHCp in the RB960PGS, is that right?
The ISP has also not allowed me admin access to the router, or just limited access. Is this normal?

MickeyT
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:39 am

Thanks
Pihole is installed though disabled at this stage as I had some trouble with the.DNS server settings.I would have to disable DHCp in the RB960PGS, is that right?
The ISP has also not allowed me admin access to the router, or just limited access. Is this normal?
I've never used Pi-hole myself as I usually just set these things up manually, but I do know that it works quite happily with MikroTik devices.

Yes, you would need to disable DHCP in the RB960PGS if you're running it on the Pi-hole. Alternatively, you can disable DHCP on the Pi-hole and keep it running on the RB960PGS (DHCP and DNS don't have to be run on the same device). The only real requirement is that the Pi-hole needs to have a static (preferably fixed) IP address.

Pi-hole also provide documentation on setting up both WireGuard and OpenVPN servers. Then all you need to do is forward the necessary ports to the Pi-hole.

No, it is not normal for your ISP to only give you limited access to your router (I assume you own it - If they own it then the answer is yes). It is typical for certain ISPs to give people limited access to routers purchased through them (Telstra and TPG in Australia are know for doing it) as this means their help lines can remote in to the router and the customer can't mess with some of the important settings. I got a router from one ISP and they assured people that there was only one admin account on the device. I didn't believe them and was able to find the super admin credentials after a quick online search.

gide
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:42 pm

Thanks @MickeyT
I will try to setup as you suggested which I had when I had the Fritzbox router. In the meantime I have ordered the same type router as the ISP supplied though due to international circumstances I have to wit at least 6weeks.