Community discussions

MikroTik App

zm10
just joined
Topic Author

When to use SXT vs. DISC vs. LHG

Sat Sep 24, 2022 5:03 pm

Hi, I'm new to these wireless products. I'm looking to try a PtP wireless link with a 3.3 kms distance. I'm thinking the 60Ghz products wouldn't be suitable and should go for the 5 Ghz products. It's in the city so densely populated.

I can't find any guides or documentation that speaks to when to use SXT vs. DISC vs. LHG products.

Rugx
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: When to use SXT vs. DISC vs. LHG

Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:59 am

I would recommend LHG or DISC, as they have higher antenna-gain. The beam-width is more narrow, so more precise alignment will be required.

SWARGANTENNA
just joined

Tue Oct 04, 2022 3:00 pm

I would recommend LHG or DISC, as they have higher antenna-gain. The beam-width is more narrow, so more precise alignment will be required.
I agree.
The antenna on the client side should have as much as possible gain (25 dBi or more, LDF + parabolic dish is also a good option) and there is more than just one reason:
- better link budget, modulation stays at max
- better noise/interference immunity
- lower power TX requirement leads to lower "RF pollution".....

One of the major problems with WIFI is the pollution caused by devices with low antenna gain at max power output. 
The low-gain antenna radiates in all directions causing interferences for other users and people think that they can overcome this with MORE power.
The key to a successful wireless network is the antenna.
The client with the maximum available antenna gain, and the AP with an antenna that matches the required coverage area (preferably waveguide based). 

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Oct 04, 2022 3:09 pm

@zm10 has not replied or visited the forum, shortly after he wrote the question, he has not checked anymore,
perhaps he has given up or has already made a decision, HOWEVER, for those who read later...

@zm10, the silliest thing you can do on city is put a high gain antenna:
It's in the city so densely populated.
He also gets all the surrounding signals, which for sure in a densely populated city, as he wrote, will not be missing.
A very directive antenna is needed, preferably with little gain.

It has not been specified how much it is necessary to bring to 3.3Km, so a SXTsq could be enough,
but for a better choice it is OBVIOUS that you need to know how much bandwidth in total, and a spectral analysis if there are free frequencies.
In many states it is STRICTLY FORBIDDEN to transmit between two funds (whether they are own or not, it doesn't matter)
by hovering over other public or private properties, or by radiating unlicensed signals outside own fund.