Community discussions

MikroTik App

terintamel
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

CWDM-MUX8A Module question

Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:14 pm

I see on the Mikrotik CWDM-MUX8A unit it says "You can use a single optical fiber cable to create up to eight independent 1.25Gbps SFP (up to 40km) or 10Gbps SFP+ (up to 10km) links, offering more affordable alternative to installing more fiber or leasing additional fibers."

My question are those just the distance limitations of the Mikrotik branded CDWM sfp modules or of the MUX uniti itself? Can I use another brand of CDWM spf to get say 40 or 80km 10G SFP+ modules and they will still work?

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: CWDM-MUX8A Module question

Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:20 am

The limits are indicative for SFP modules, MUX is completely passive element which doesn't impose any additional constraints (as compared to plain fibre cable).

The only gotcha when using CWDM MUX is that it will shorten maximum link distance due to additional losses: possibly additional 2 connectors compared to direct optical connection, one on each end of link. Also CWDM wavelength splitter (prism) also adds slight losses (again two times, once on each end). There are CWDM muxes from other vendors which can have slightly better loss characteristics (up to 1dB) than Mikrotik's ... but this shouldn't be a huge problem unless you're about to use maximum link length.