Community discussions

MikroTik App

satish143
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

mikrotik scp/sftp client to transfer file between MT

Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:54 am

I am trying to sync firewall rules between two VRRP mikrotik and setup SSH key between them. is there any scp/sftp client available in RouterOS so i can transfer file between two mikrotik? I don't want to use ftp or third party server to transfer file between two MT.

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: mikrotik scp/sftp client to transfer file between MT

Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:41 am

I am trying to sync firewall rules between two VRRP mikrotik and setup SSH key between them. is there any scp/sftp client available in RouterOS so i can transfer file between two mikrotik? I don't want to use ftp or third party server to transfer file between two MT.
forget ssh and use directly the ftp server service inside mikrotik:

(RouterOS 6.3x.x)

for upload one file to anonther RB (with ftp service confugured):
/tool fetch mode=ftp upload=yes address=00.11.22.33 port=21 user="user" password="pax" src-path="/localfolder/localfile.rsc" dst-path="/remotefolder/remotefile.rsc" keep-result=yes;
for download one file from anonther RB (with ftp service confugured):
/tool fetch mode=ftp upload=no address=00.11.232.33 port=21 user="user" password="pax" src-path="/remotefolder/remotefile.rsc" dst-path="/localfolder/localfile.rsc" keep-result=yes;

satish143
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:36 am

forget ssh and use directly the ftp server service inside mikrotik:

(RouterOS 6.3x.x)

for upload one file to anonther RB (with ftp service confugured):
/tool fetch mode=ftp upload=yes address=00.11.22.33 port=21 user="user" password="pax" src-path="/localfolder/localfile.rsc" dst-path="/remotefolder/remotefile.rsc" keep-result=yes;
for download one file from anonther RB (with ftp service confugured):
/tool fetch mode=ftp upload=no address=00.11.232.33 port=21 user="user" password="pax" src-path="/remotefolder/remotefile.rsc" dst-path="/localfolder/localfile.rsc" keep-result=yes;
I mentioned there, I don't want to do ftp because it's not secure on wire. If RouterOS can run SSH server don't you think it should support scp client atleast?

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:39 am

But ftp is the most fast and secure protocol you can use without waiting any implementation.

Simply firewall rules and/or change the default 21 port to any make impossible to hack on easy way or brute force the ftp...

eworm
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:22 am

But ftp is the most fast and secure protocol you can use without waiting any implementation.

Simply firewall rules and/or change the default 21 port to any make impossible to hack on easy way or brute force the ftp...
The point is not hacking or brute force attack... If your two devices communicate with each other a third party can read your unencrypted credentials from wire.

tippenring

Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:05 am

ost fast and secure protocol you can use without waiting any implementation.

The point is not hacking or brute force attack... If your two devices communicate with each other a third party can read your unencrypted credentials from wire.
It is true that FTP is not secure. Credentials and the data are passed in cleartext. However, if you're using VRRP, I would expect your routers and the cables between them to be relatively secure. If the routers and cables are secure, then capturing the traffic between these two devices seems quite unlikely. If the cables pass through unsecured areas or devices, then I share your concern. If your routers are insecure, you have bigger problems than FTP.

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:16 am

Currently you have only two basic options how to securely transfer files between two Mikrotiks:
  • activate https management interface at both Mikrotiks in question and use file download/upload of the WebFig interface which is secured by https
  • create a secure tunnel between the Mikrotiks (IPsec, SSTP) and use ftp over that tunnel

petterg
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:59 am

Where do you store a file in router os to make it available to download via https (webfig)?

saenito

Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:19 am

I dont know how to implement it in mikrotik but knowing a bit of ipsec i think you can establish some ipsec rules to "encript" your ftp ports (for example tcp 21, i dont remember if password data goes trough that one) between your routers

Also you can paste your firewall rules from a third equipment like a server on both routers. Just an idea how would i do it

eworm
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:09 pm

Starting with version 6.45beta22 the changelog lists:
*) fetch - added SFTP support;
Not sure how it works, though. Looks like mode=sftp is not (yet?) valid.

mrz
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:17 pm

mode option is deprecated, left for compatibility with older scripts.
Use url=sftp://

eworm
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:47 pm

I gave it a try, but did not succeed. The server is running openssh 7.9p1, the account is locked to sftp only with openssh's internal sftp implementation.
[admin@Mikrotik] > /system ssh user=mikrotik-upload sftp-host
Password: 
This service allows sftp connections only.

Welcome back!
[admin@Mikrotik] > /tool fetch url=sftp://sftp-host/upload/test.txt user=mikrotik-upload password=xxxx

failure: closing connection: <> 10.0.0.10:22 (16) (6)
[admin@Mikrotik] > /tool fetch upload=yes url=sftp://sftp-host/ user=mikrotik-upload password=xxxx src-path=export.rsc dst-path=upload/export.rsc                      

failure: closing connection: <> 10.0.0.10:22 (17) (6)
Neither download nor upload works. Tried from a linux box, on server side everything works as expected. The directory "upload" exists and is writable.

Anybody having more success? What topics to enable for useful debug output?

tucsy
just joined

Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:59 pm

Hello eworm,

I had a similar problem: I couldn't upload the exported config file to my server via SFTP.
Finally, I found a syntax error.

Try this for upload:
/tool fetch upload=yes url=sftp://sftp-host/upload/export.rsc user=mikrotik-upload password=xxxx src-path=export.rsc
So not use dst-path, just add destination to the URL.

I hope it will help.

Regards,
Imre

eworm
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:37 pm

Finally found the cause for my issue with help of support. Looks like the sftp client in RouterOS fails if too many authentication methods are supported by the server. On my SSH server I added this block in /etc/ssh/sshd_config:
Match User mikrotik-upload
    AuthenticationMethods password

doneware
Trainer
Trainer

Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:25 am

been dealing with this lately and it does work with pub key authentication - which is superior to password. esp that password auth is disabled by default in openssh.
you can easily add private keys to the respective account in routeros, and there it is.

al3xeezer
just joined

Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:29 pm

Has anyone tried to upload a file (Mikrotik router to remote server) using the src-address parameter? I'm using the following command:
/tool fetch upload=yes url="sftp://serverIP/path/file" user=$user password=$password src-path=$file src-address=$ip 

But it seems there's a bug or something because it returns this error (even the error says SFTP supports it):
failure: only http[s]/sftp supports src-address

ROS Version: 6.46.5

al3xeezer
just joined

Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:11 pm

Has anyone tried to upload a file (Mikrotik router to remote server) using the src-address parameter? I'm using the following command:
/tool fetch upload=yes url="sftp://serverIP/path/file" user=$user password=$password src-path=$file src-address=$ip 

But it seems there's a bug or something because it returns this error (even the error says SFTP supports it):
failure: only http[s]/sftp supports src-address

ROS Version: 6.46.5

Fixed in v6.47.4.

CyB0rg
just joined

Sun Feb 20, 2022 2:58 pm

been dealing with this lately and it does work with pub key authentication - which is superior to password. esp that password auth is disabled by default in openssh.
you can easily add private keys to the respective account in routeros, and there it is.

Can you please share your wisdom on how to do that ? Many have tried and failed. Debug shows that ROS does not like the publickey method ...

Screenshot 2022-02-19 at 20.21.02.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sebus504

Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:25 pm

Hello I use
 /tool fetch upload=yes url="sftp://192.168.120.2/backup/test.txt" src-path="test.txt" user=******** password=******** 
and get error:

failure: connection timeout 
but the file was uploaded!
From Windows I was try winSCP and working OK.
Tested on 6.49.2 and 7.5 , synology DSM 7.1