Community discussions

MikroTik App

darkbasic
just joined
Topic Author

CRS305-1G-4S+IN as a GPON secondary router

Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:41 pm

Hi, I've just subscribed to a 2.5 Gbps / 1 Gbps GPON connection which will be routed by an EPYC server running Linux. The same server also does virtualization and I would like to be able to access it via IP KVM in the event of a software failure (or just to supervise reboots, etc). Being the sole router that would not be possible, so I would like to put a CRS305 in front of it (it's the only cheap option I've found). One port would be either attached to the ONT via a 2.5GBASE-T SFP Copper RJ-45 Transceiver Module or directly to the fiber with a mini ONT SFP. Another port would be used to NAT the main IP address over a private network (with port forwarding) and would be attached to the IP KVM (100 Mbps would be plenty of bandwidth for this). The third port would be used to route my /28 public subnet along with the bulk of the traffic (2.5 Gbps now, up to 10 Gbps in the future if I will ever upgrade to XG-PON) to the EPYC router.
I also would like to avoid wasting my /28 IPs by assigning one of them to the CRS305, so I would like to passthrough the whole subnet to the EPYC router.

My provider uses PPPoE over GPON and allows for multiple PPPoE sessions.

I've read that CRS305 with RouterOS v7.1+ has hardware accelerated routing capable of 10 Gbps, but if I'm right I won't need routing at all. In fact I would like to bridge the interface attached to the ONT with the interface attached to the EPYC router to be able to initiate a PPPoE connection from the EPYC router, using one of the 16 IPs from the /28 public subnet. The secondary PPPoE connection would be initiated by the CRS305 itself using the main public IP, which will be NATed to a private subnet attached to one of the two remaining ports attached to the IP KVM (ports will need to be forwarded). That secondary PPPoE connection (plus NAT) would be very slow, but since I don't need more than 100 Mbps towards the IP KVM that would be fine. On the contrary, that would allow the EPYC router to handle the full 2.5 Gbps from the GPON (or even 10 Gbps if I will ever decide to upgrade to XG-PON) without any kind of performance degradation compared to it being the sole router.

Does it make sense? Is it something the CRS305 is capable of? If so I think this is the right hardware to buy for my needs.

Thanks