Community discussions

MikroTik App

aleab
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

basic wireless config but slow speed

Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:35 am

Hello, i have a strange behaviour in a basic config at my home.
Now i have a
SXT-LTE6 (outdoor) with passthrough apn on VLAN
HAP-AC2 with dhcp client on VLAN and manage DHCP server , NAT , ecc with wlan1 (only 2.4ghz enable)
WAP with wlan1 (2.4 ghz) act as AP

problem is wifi,
if i take some speed test with pc or my notebook by ethernet cable to HAP AC2 i reach evey time 80mbps down / 30mbps up.

if i try speed test with wifi , every time i reach 10mbps down / 30 mbps up. sometimes i see 20mbps down / 30 mbps up.
this both from one and the other (WAP or HAP AC2)

i try to change from 20/40mhz to 20mhz but not change
i try to change from frequency auto to channel 6 and 11 or 1 but not change

but is very simple installation...

i attach rsc hide sentitive..
can someone point me to good direction?

thank you in advance
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: basic wireless config but slow speed

Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:15 am

Debugging slow download in wifi is not easy.
In a first check, there are no obvious suggestions for the config. Looks OK. Well 802.11 b/g/n, the b should be avoided.
Performance will depend on the link-quality and on the environment. This cannot be seen in the config of course.

Your 80Mbps download and 30 Mbps upload is probably due to the SXT LTE connection. The target speed. Why is it not in the wifi connection ?
10 Mbps is very low.

1. Check the wifi connection quality. Info is in the "Registration table".
2. Look at "Interface rate" column, should be something like "144Mbps-20MHz/2S/SGI" after a while (increments slowly)
It could be that you do not get 2S but 72.2Mbps-20MHz/1S (reason? client? signal strength? or quality?) Check "Signal to noise" >20dB and CCQ near 100%.
Client can be a single stream device (1S). Signal can be too weak (distance, wall, ...) Or the quality could be low (wall) , lower CCQ than 90%, both giving lower speed than 144 or 72.2Mbps.
Expected netto dataspeed is 1/2 of that interface rate.
3. You will seldom be able to use 40MHz bandwidth in an environment with other users around.
4. "HW Frames/Frames" ratio gives an idea of the wifi retransmits happening.
5. But then there are possibly other users on the channel. There is only ONE transmitter at the same time. Wifi WAITS for any transmitter. If that other transmitter is slow, you will wait longer, reducing the netto dataspeed further.
6. TCP protocol uses "Congestion avoidance" , which may be triggered by erratic wifi, making it slower again than what the wifi could handle. Is has different impact for download and upload.

aleab
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:56 pm

thank you for reply.
i reply with quote for greater understandability.
Your 80Mbps download and 30 Mbps upload is probably due to the SXT LTE connection. The target speed. Why is it not in the wifi connection ?
10 Mbps is very low.
because i'm not WISP , so i don't have wifi conection.
at my house i have only VDSL with 35down/6up, but is very unstable (try with different carrier). and because i want try mikrotik LTE products. i use methed try to my lab/home then resell to my customer. :)

1. Check the wifi connection quality. Info is in the "Registration table".
- on registration table i see about -40 or -50 (my notebook is near to HAP ac2)

2. Look at "Interface rate" column, should be something like "144Mbps-20MHz/2S/SGI" after a while (increments slowly)
It could be that you do not get 2S but 72.2Mbps-20MHz/1S (reason? client? signal strength? or quality?) Check "Signal to noise" >20dB and CCQ near 100%.
Client can be a single stream device (1S). Signal can be too weak (distance, wall, ...) Or the quality could be low (wall) , lower CCQ than 90%, both giving lower speed than 144 or 72.2Mbps.
Expected netto dataspeed is 1/2 of that interface rate.
- yes yesterday i rember 144Mbps-20MHz/2S/SGI (when go home i post a screen with signal to noise...)

3. You will seldom be able to use 40MHz bandwidth in an environment with other users around.
- ok, with wifi scanner i see only 2 other wifi , but is very poor (about -90)

4. "HW Frames/Frames" ratio gives an idea of the wifi retransmits happening.
- i check this tonight and post here

5. But then there are possibly other users on the channel. There is only ONE transmitter at the same time. Wifi WAITS for any transmitter. If that other transmitter is slow, you will wait longer, reducing the netto dataspeed further.
- i can set auto , was before... but I've seen much worse situations...

6. TCP protocol uses "Congestion avoidance" , which may be triggered by erratic wifi, making it slower again than what the wifi could handle. Is has different impact for download and upload.
- i don't know about this.

I trivially thought it was a mtu problem... but i set normal MTU (1500)

my perplexity stems from the fact that with the old router, fritzbox vdsl + wap AP (the same as now) with wifi i can reach 35down/6up .
so limit is only VDSL.

i try yo speed test with my notebook in wifi and HAP ac2 (the bare minimum) and this is result...

thank you again
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

aleab
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:49 pm

Hello,
i check on my hap ac2 and wap.
now i set frequency = auto
and post screen ...

if you is all ok or i can improve this installation?

thank you again

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:49 am

Thanks for all that information.

It is not always clear on what test or connection the screenshots are related.

I do see a very good signal strength (stronger than -40dBm could overload the receiver)
CCQ (77%) could have been better. I wonder if the disturbed signal quality is the reason why the 2S is reduced to 1S for transmission from the AP.
Signal disturbance can come from other devices but also caused by obstructions and metal objects (reflections) close to connection endpoints. (AP and client)
Some clients are clearly using 802.11b speeds (5.5Mbps and 11 Mbps).
An AP cannot forbid a client to use the "b", even worse, the AP has to operate in "b" compatibility mode, if it detects "b" in the spectrum somewhere (so even foreign devices/connections can cause this). This happens even if the AP is set to G/N or N-only mode.

All by all this might slow down things to 63638kbps, but does not explain the 10Mbps slow download in your initial post.

MTU can be a problem ! VDSL is encapsulated PPPoA or PPPoE AFAIK (https://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/dsl_modems02_06).
What happens if your wifi is MTU 1500, and the router uplink has a smaller MTU and the clients MTU Discovery is not done or not working properly? https://www.pcwdld.com/ping-mtu
I think this would introduce fragmentation.

aleab
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:04 pm

sorry for delay...
thank you for reply.
screenshot is related to yesterday test , i have same problem and i have that value in mikrotik / notebook yesterday...

i don't know about signal disturbance...

for 802.11b i think is smart bulb (tp link), i see 802.11b also in past when i have fritzbox and WAP as AP.
but i don't have problem with speed...

I borrowed a rb4011 (RB4011iGS+5HacQ2HnD-IN) with wifi and now i test...
with 5ghz off (only 2.4ghz 20mhz) same as HAP AC2 i reach a speed 70 mbps down / 30 mbps up.
so work as expect.
i know rb4011 have powerful antenna , but is there such a big difference?
I am considering the purchase , but there is no availability.
and for my situation is more expensive...
thank you

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: basic wireless config but slow speed  [SOLVED]

Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:57 pm

Your test screenshots did not indicate any performance problem.
Only your first post, speaking about 10Mbps download has a low value, that is actually not visible in the test screenshots (63638Kbps throughput is OK)
The 144Mbps and 72.2 Mbps interface rates are the max values.

The stronger RB4011 antenna , will not do much good. The problem of 10Mbps download, is with the AP transmitting.
The power is limited by the country regulation. (20dBm, or 17dBm for a 3dBi (actually 2.5dBi) antenna device hAP ac2), as seen in status.
Klembord-2.jpg
Same setting on the RB4011, which has external antenna, that are bigger , but only have 3dBi antenna gain. TX power will also be limited to 17 dBm.
(The external antenna devices may allow cheating in ROS)
But you are very close to the device. Pumping up the TX power can saturate your clients receiver, and make things worse.
Performance between hAP ac2 and RB4011 should be similar in this case.
Latest ROS versions don't always deliver best wifi performance. Some version testing may be needed.

aleab
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:39 pm

Latest ROS versions don't always deliver best wifi performance. Some version testing may be needed.
you are a genius!!! :)
i noticed that rb4011 have 6.48.6 . so i downgraded my hap ac2 with 6.48.6 (also routerboard).

now with my hap ac2 , can reach 80 down 30 up :)

i confirm routeros 7 is not the best for wifi...

thank you again

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Oct 03, 2022 1:00 am

We have updated a few of our "troubled caps-man installs" in the last 2 weeks. Generally taking them from 6.x software into the 7.x branch.

Like I stated... None of these installs have been trouble free... BUT... They have not complained since the update. Will follow up on 2 of them this week.

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:45 am

i noticed that rb4011 have 6.48.6 . so i downgraded my hap ac2 with 6.48.6 (also routerboard).
That should already have been fixed.
I have 100Mb-eth-devices on 7.5 which can easily go up to 80Mb via Wifi.
1000Mb-ether devices can go to 200/300-something. When applying Wifiwave2 even close to (and sometimes over) 500 (but there are only a couple of devices who can use that driver).

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Oct 03, 2022 1:04 pm

you are a genius!!! :)

now with my hap ac2 , can reach 80 down 30 up :)

i confirm routeros 7 is not the best for wifi...

thank you again
Well actually there is more than the ROS 6 and ROS 7 difference in performance.

Over time different HW executions have demonstrated that there is quite some difference in performance for different firmware versions.
The list is different for the different HW platforms. (e.g. hAP Lite needs other versions than hAP ac2)

Some older posts: viewtopic.php?t=182565&#p908298
viewtopic.php?t=174961
Your download performance might even be non-wifi related.

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Oct 03, 2022 1:09 pm

1000Mb-ether devices can go to 200/300-something. When applying Wifiwave2 even close to (and sometimes over) 500 (but there are only a couple of devices who can use that driver).
I remember you informed us ROS 7.2 was up to speed again.
Maintaining a "goodies" list seems still important. Is 7.5 OK ?

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Oct 03, 2022 1:45 pm

I remember you informed us ROS 7.2 was up to speed again.
Maintaining a "goodies" list seems still important. Is 7.5 OK ?
I updated a Wireless Wire Cube to 7.5... immediately had to downgrade it.

On Saturday I updated a Fresh Out Of The Box RB3011 to 7.5. Immediately saw a CPU issue when opening terminal. Also the unit rebooted on its own. Downgraded it to 7.4 and saw in the log how it had rebooted from kernel failure while running 7.5

The RB3011 was updated using winbox and the simple check for updates.

Others have mentioned that Netinstall should have been tried to clear out and residual issues from the upgrade.

As it was Saturday night, a remote install, and a priority replacement... Didn't have time to play.

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Oct 03, 2022 1:46 pm

Depends on your definition of "OK".
For what I need and use, no problems whatsoever.
But for those needing BGP and more advanced stuff, it's not up to par yet with ROS6.

@gotsprings
Others have mentioned that Netinstall should have been tried to clear out and residual issues from the upgrade.
That was me ;)

aleab
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:13 pm

for my use case (my home) with few devices . i need ROS7 only for wireguard.
but it's only to play, i don't use in production wireguard i use openvpn or ipsec, but this is another story...

for now i'm focused only to have a good wifi singlae and decent speed.
so i'm ok with ROS 6.48 :)

now, i ordered new hap ax2. I hope it arrives before Christmas (2022 :) )

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:46 pm

Depends on your definition of "OK".
For what I need and use, no problems whatsoever.
But for those needing BGP and more advanced stuff, it's not up to par yet with ROS6.

@gotsprings
That was me ;)
Speak of the Devil... and he shall appear!

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:13 pm

Keep in mind: default ROS7.

aleab
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:56 pm

yes i know. but sooner or later i will switch to ROS7 :)

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:10 pm

As other already mentioned (was it @holvoetn again? :wink: ), ROS v7 is pretty good in certain use cases. I'm pretty happy with how my Audience bears v7.5 with wifiwave2 package.

aleab
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Oct 28, 2022 10:20 am

just to confirm...

with hap ac2 ROS 6.48.6 works fine for some days , after always 10mbps download... :(

yesterday i received HAP AX2 with wifi wave2 (of course) and it works really well!
with my basic config i can reach 60/70 download :)

and plus i use eth1 poe out to "power" SXT LTE6

thank you again