Community discussions

MikroTik App

Etz
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

RB5009UPr+S+IN PoE and Hap ax2 via PoE

Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:33 am

Looking to upgrade my home network, but could not figure out PoE part, by looking at the specs.

What I ideally would want to do, is powering RB5009UPr+S+IN via PoE and connect 2x Hap Ax2 to it and power these via PoE as well.
Doubt it would be possible though.

What I am trying to achieve is to keep network running for a while, when there is power cut.
I have single UPS powering NAS and I could inject poe via NAS uplinks to 5009 and I would like to avoid buying more UPS'es. :)

So, what would be the feasible options?
Powering RB5009UPr+S+IN via its power brick (somehow figure out, how to extend that cord to 5 meters and get it behind drywall, where etherenet is running to where RB5009 will be) and Hap Ax2 via PoE?
Any other possibilities?
Unfortunately, there is no way I could fit UPS into that box, where all those cables end, even getting RB4011 in there was tight squeeze.

Mikrotik makes really hard to use its PoE, by utilizing different voltages for different devices, mixing standards, etc... :lol:

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: RB5009UPr+S+IN PoE and Hap ax2 via PoE

Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:55 am

The problematic part is "powering RB5009UPr+S+IN via PoE". Assuming your NAS is a 802.3 af/at PSE, it will limit total power available via 5009's PoE in to 30W at most (minimum is 25.5W, but depends on UTP cable length and quality) if it's 802.3 at (provides higher power than af).

On the other side, worst-case power demand would be something like 15W+2*12W = 39W which exceeds PoE in capacity.

And a show stopper: according to hAP ax2 product page, it only supports passive PoE in with voltage range of 18-28V. But 802.3 af/at/bt/... standard is talking about 48V (give or take). None of Mikrotik's PoE solutions perform voltage conversions, it's "voltage in, voltage out" (some devices with multiple input voltages offer voltage selection ... which is not voltage conversion).
Which makes your setup non-working.

You being from Estonia could travel to Riga (it's closer for you than for most of us, other MT victims) and perhaps explain the problem of mixing voltages and standards to Normis in person :wink:

sch
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:10 pm

All power options support a wide voltage range of 24 – 57 V. However, you can not mix
the voltages. If you’re using PoE-out to power other devices, the board will choose the
source with the highest voltage (DC jack or the 2-pin connector) to power those.
https://i.mt.lv/cdn/product_files/RB500 ... 220708.pdf

RB5009UPr+S+IN will not allow providing PoE-Out powering if it is powered by PoE-In, without DC-Jack or the 2-pin connected PSU.

Etz
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:58 pm

The problematic part is "powering RB5009UPr+S+IN via PoE". Assuming your NAS is a 802.3 af/at PSE, it will limit total power available via 5009's PoE in to 30W at most (minimum is 25.5W, but depends on UTP cable length and quality) if it's 802.3 at (provides higher power than af).
Not by NAS itself...only via the same 3m cables with PoE injector.
Which makes your setup non-working.
OK, case closed then, as I supected.