Community discussions

MikroTik App

omally01
Topic Author

5/10mhz channels on AR958x mini PCIe card

Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:40 am

tldr; can someone confirm that the AR958x mini PCIe card is capable of 5mhz and 10mhz channel widths?

Hello all! There's a lot of posts about 5/10 mhz channels but haven't found what I'm looking for. In short I would like to be able to detect 5/10mhz channels using kismet - in an attempt to do this I have purchased a Mikrotik AR958x series 2ghz mini PCIe card and the 5ghz counterpart. I have installed the 2ghz card and provisioned kismet to manually look for channels 1-11 in 5mhz channel widths and have a 2ghz Mikrotik AP in 5mhz for testing. Kismet is not seeing the access point, I confirmed with a second Mikrotik that the AP is indeed broadcasting in 5mhz, so this either means Kismet isn't working (or I have it configured wrong) or this particular card can't do 5/10mhz channel widths. I am currently under the impression that all 7x and 9x series Atheros chip sets are capable.

For those that are familiar with kismet, here is the additional config I added on to the source card config

source=wlp4s0:add_channels="1W5,2W5,3W5,4W5,5W5,6W5,7W5,8W5,9W5,10W5,11W5",name=test

As an alternative I've considered trying to make a Mikrotik router be a remote kismet source, but not sure what all would be required to make that happen.

Any advice is much appreciated!