Community discussions

MikroTik App

thinuspollard
just joined
Topic Author

RouterOS 7.5 and Wireguard bug

Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:03 pm

This had me pulling my hair from my head for a couple of days.

Setting up a wireguard VPN with RouterOS and macos client is not that hard. Until you run into the web interface bug I ran into.

Configuring the interface and/or the peer via the web interface does not work, at least for me. Peer is configured correctly and even the console shows the configuration. But the handshake never happens. The counters remain zero. The client complains that the handshake times out. In the firewall I can see the initial packet coming in and is accepted. I tried all permutations of configuration. I blamed macos, I blamed iOS etc.

Then I configured an interface and peer via the console, and magic happened. It worked first time as all the articles/forum posts promised it would.

So this post is mainly to inform other users that are battling. I will be filing a bug report.

Summary: Don't use the web interface to configure interface and peer, use the console. I really hope someone finds this useful.

Znevna
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: RouterOS 7.5 and Wireguard bug

Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:18 pm

I see no configs, I blame the user.
Nevermind, I've managed to read the whole post.
Congrats! You've found the bug that was fixed in 7.6beta.something/7.6rc1.
Meh.

Erik40
just joined

Re: RouterOS 7.5 and Wireguard bug

Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:20 pm

Thank you very much. I was on the verge of insanity. I had created 2 wireguard interfaces with 1 peer each - configs were basically the same - and one failed for no reason. I had created the first peer via the web interface and the second(working) via the console. After recreating the first wireguard interface & peer via the console everything just worked!