Community discussions

MikroTik App

joshhboss
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tagged and Current Tagged

Thu Oct 06, 2022 1:35 am

So I was wondering, I have been lately just always removing the tags off of the ports that I use as access ports. just on some configs I always catch myself forgetting to remove a tag here and there. I was wondering if the port is set to only accept untagged and priority tagged. Will that mean I shouldn't have any weirdness with the tags. I does show in the columns under vlans that on those ports its not currently tagged on vlans that I do still have the vlan tagged on..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

joshhboss
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Re: Tagged and Current Tagged

Thu Oct 06, 2022 2:09 am

I ended up just taking the time and removing the tags on the access port.. being lazy can get you into trouble..

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Oct 06, 2022 2:31 am

joshhboss
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Jan 18, 2023 3:21 pm

Did go over that link and very useful stuff, I kind of wanted to explain what I was trying to under stand.. So in my use cases when im out and about at these events.. from one moment to the next I will be asked to make a few ports access ports to connect devices to the network needed. So by default I have all the ports set to

PVID=10 admit-all and all the vlans on the network are tagged on all ports (for access points).. And from one moment to the next, I get, Hey josh can we set ports 2,3,4 for ticketing to plug in scanners. I was hoping since it is an end device.. NOT A SWITCH or AP.. if I could just go to the VLAN settings in the bridge and untagged vlan 40- remove the untagged vlan 10,, then in the port settings change it to

PVID=40 - admit-only-untagged and priority tagged. and not have to go to ALLLLL the vlans and remove the tags from those ports..

Wondering how much trouble that could get me into. These events are typically only for 2, 3, to 4 days at a time .

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:56 pm

Screenshots are confusing, some example config be more useful.

To manage VLANs using the bridge (with vlan-filtering=yes), it's really best to pre-define any possible VLANs (ticketing, green room, FOH, public Wi-Fi, staff, whatever), under Bridge > VLANs, which seem you have. But you do NOT have to predefine the untagged access ports there – only tagged truck ports (AND likely the "bridge" interface should always be list as tagged interface in the Bridge VLAN too).

Without an untagged interface lists, if you just change the PVID (with "admit only untagged..."), it should work as expected. No need to mess with Bridge>VLANs>(vlan 1701)>Untagged's dropdown. Now the Bridge > VLAN UI will only show "Currently Untagged" if the port is up, so you can't see the effect of the PVID until it's plugged in. (Since the bridge is dynamically adding PVID as untagged on a VLAN, it need to be up first)

This means "Josh just changes one thing": the Bridge > Port > VLAN tab > PVID" to move a port from ticket to Wi-Fi VLAN.

But if you do list untagged interfaces in Bridge > VLAN, then you need to make sure you're only untagging once if you want a "real" access port, which is how I think you're getting into trouble here. (And Mikrotik's interface + docs aren't super helpful at explaining this)

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:09 pm

I was going to suggest a simpler method ammo, just carry around 400 MT routers, one for every possible iteration.