bshanti
just joined
Topic Author

Help Riskware - Trojan Problem

Wed Oct 05, 2022 4:45 pm

Hello guys,

i'm new to mikrotik but have little knowledge on the router configuration

anyhow ,
on thursday someone accessed our company router through SSH and i don't know exactly what he did to the router or the internet connection settings which seems fine , but he injected some kind of trojan/riskware for the users , i already blocked all kind of access to the router from outside except from winbox , i downloaded malwarebytes and already had installed kaspersky endpoint cloud pro , but sadly it only shows that i have a certificate problem , and it can't delete the source or tell me from where , and the devices which don't have antiviruses it directs them to this site

get your gift . life (without spaces)

i blocked the IP Address in the router but still i have the problem , i don't know what to do exactly .

Cleared and reset all of the configuration for the internet history DNS , but nothing only now it changed from riskware to trojan now in the malwarebytes detection with different IP Address

any suggetions will be helpful

Thanks in Advance

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Help Riskware - Trojan Problem

Wed Oct 05, 2022 6:48 pm

Why did you leave SSH open?

You now have device issues, but RouterOS is not involved.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:07 pm

You also have IT dept issues.
Who was responsible for this disaster?
They need training badly.

You should remove the router, netinstall a fresh version of software you wish to use, and then put a config back on, which is better constructed from a function AND security perspective.

You should also consider after ensuring all computers are clean is instill some software that helps block traffic to bad sites so that malware phoning home is blocked.

Two options.........
https://itexpertoncall.com/promotional/moab.html ( I like that this site also promotes the use of mailwasher if you dont already have some sort of mail protections )

The other
https://axiomcyber.com/shield/

bshanti
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:54 pm

Why did you leave SSH open?

You now have device issues, but RouterOS is not involved.
I didn't knew that I should close it from the beginning .and trust me it's long story.

Thanks for your response
Last edited by bshanti on Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bshanti
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:01 pm

You also have IT dept issues.
Who was responsible for this disaster?
They need training badly.

You should remove the router, netinstall a fresh version of software you wish to use, and then put a config back on, which is better constructed from a function AND security perspective.

You should also consider after ensuring all computers are clean is instill some software that helps block traffic to bad sites so that malware phoning home is blocked.

Two options.........
https://itexpertoncall.com/promotional/moab.html ( I like that this site also promotes the use of mailwasher if you dont already have some sort of mail protections )

The other
https://axiomcyber.com/shield/
I'm the one who's responsible for the IT 😂😂😭💔

I've good knowledge in IT regarding network, troubleshooting, easy router setups and stuff like but not too much knowledge in Cisco or Mikrotik .

I'll lookup for your solutions later on when the router is at front of me 😅

No we don't have for the time being the company (my supervisor) after the attack wants to buy Kaspersky endpoint cloud pro for all employees , I'll check and inform you what will happen

I'm thinking to load a load configuration file is it going to be helpful and deletes the traces that he did to us , or do I need a fresh install for everything and after that load the configuration?

Thanks for your help

Znevna
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:25 pm

Hire someone that knows what he's(she's) dealing with.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:27 pm

I'm thinking to load a load configuration file is it going to be helpful and deletes the traces that he did to us , or do I need a fresh install for everything and after that load the configuration?
Generally there are two types of exploits: most of time attacker alters configuration or adds some scripts which then allows them to spread malware further. The other type is such that attacker instalks malicious code into ROS. I've never seen any proof that this kind of attacks happen, however behaviour reported by some users strongly indicate it's possible.
It is possible to recover from first type of exploits by cleaning up configuration or by restoring device from known clean backup (binary backups are next to impossible to verify though). But it does take some expertise to find and eliminate all malicious config (some of it might seem legitimate but it may not be in particular use case). And restoring config from backup would mean device is still vulnerable afterwards. Recovery from second type of attack (malicious code installed in ROS) is only possible by doing netinstall (which formats flash). In both cases I'd suggest to configure device from scratch, but taking a solid default config as base (default config on lower and mid-end devices is decent, high-end devices come without config from factory).

Suggestion by @znevna is a sound one ...

bshanti
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:01 am

Hire someone that knows what he's(she's) dealing with.
sorry but that's not an option

bshanti
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:13 am

Generally there are two types of exploits: most of time attacker alters configuration or adds some scripts which then allows them to spread malware further. The other type is such that attacker instalks malicious code into ROS. I've never seen any proof that this kind of attacks happen, however behaviour reported by some users strongly indicate it's possible.
It is possible to recover from first type of exploits by cleaning up configuration or by restoring device from known clean backup (binary backups are next to impossible to verify though). But it does take some expertise to find and eliminate all malicious config (some of it might seem legitimate but it may not be in particular use case). And restoring config from backup would mean device is still vulnerable afterwards. Recovery from second type of attack (malicious code installed in ROS) is only possible by doing netinstall (which formats flash). In both cases I'd suggest to configure device from scratch, but taking a solid default config as base (default config on lower and mid-end devices is decent, high-end devices come without config from factory).

Suggestion by @znevna is a sound one ...
Thank you very much for the easy Explanation , i think i'll go with restoring the last successful configuration that i made , and will edit the configuration to close all of the previuos wholes like ssh , telnet etc.. . and will check after that , i'm little confused because i don't know where the virsu is injected , and some employees here their mentality are not that good they aren't helping , also the eqiupment here is not helping that much the strongest device that i have is this Mikrotik after that nothing only 3 cisco switches and nothing . is there a way that i can track which device is injected with the virus through an IP or something from Mikrotik ?

because i know the ip that leads to the spyware page and blocking it in mikrotik do nothing

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:20 am

With all these premises, there is little to say, a generic forum, on anything, cannot help.
You MUST hire someone who can work on all of these things, not just the MikroTik related part.
Installing something on an INFECTED computer is absolutely useless (obviously it depends).
Chat without facts, it doesn't do any good.
If who you should hire should do your job, well, there is little to add...

bshanti
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:23 am

i'm also suspecious about something , the files in mikrotik files dosen't look normal like there are extra ones .

i'm sharing the screenshot it might help and make you understand what i mean

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PAzZOv ... sp=sharing

bshanti
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:30 am

With all these premises, there is little to say, a generic forum, on anything, cannot help.
You MUST hire someone who can work on all of these things, not just the MikroTik related part.
Installing something on an INFECTED computer is absolutely useless (obviously it depends).
Chat without facts, it doesn't do any good.
If who you should hire should do your job, well, there is little to add...
sorry but who said it dosen't help , i'm learning from others here what should i do , and i'm the one who's responsible for everything that are related to IT here including troubleshooting and things like that so it's my job . the attacker came through a mikrotik device and that's why i'm asking what to do here to fix what happened and to avoid future attacks which now i know how to do about it .

thanks for the reply anyhow

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:31 am

about screenshot: here too...

There is little to add, the router could be screwed, must be netinstall-ed for sure to be safe.

fragtion
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:21 am

Whenever I see a bunch of .scr files called Photo etc, the first assumption is that FTP access was gained. So check your passwords etc

Znevna
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:32 am

Can we see the config of the router?

bshanti
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:41 am

about screenshot: here too...

There is little to add, the router could be screwed, must be netinstall-ed for sure to be safe.
Will be the last option

Thank you very much for your help

I appreciate it

bshanti
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:42 am

Whenever I see a bunch of .scr files called Photo etc, the first assumption is that FTP access was gained. So check your passwords etc
changed all the passwords already and deleted the suspecious files in the router

everything looks fine but still have some issues for some users

Znevna
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:44 am

Bruh, you're bad at your job, go flip burgers or something.
You don't leave a router and the rest of your network like that for DAYS.

bshanti
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:44 am

Can we see the config of the router?
should i post the file or the code you mean ?

bshanti
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:47 am

Bruh, you're bad at your job, go flip burgers or something.
You don't leave a router and the rest of your network like that for DAYS.
loooool

you don't know the details so don't judge my friend ;)

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Oct 11, 2022 2:17 pm

You gave us the details, if you had read my post on Oct 5, 1:07pm

I told you to netinstall the device as it has been compromised.
Clearly as of 11 Oct that has still not been done.

Znevna is quite correct, and believe me I hate saying that.! ;-) Hire someone who actually cares about the network let alone has the technical and security training to do the job.
You clearly dont care about the users or the network and the assistance we have been providing is falling on deaf and arrogant ears...........
I am going to help others that actually listen.

bshanti
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Oct 11, 2022 2:38 pm

You gave us the details, if you had read my post on Oct 5, 1:07pm

I told you to netinstall the device as it has been compromised.
Clearly as of 11 Oct that has still not been done.

Znevna is quite correct, and believe me I hate saying that.! ;-) Hire someone who actually cares about the network let alone has the technical and security training to do the job.
You clearly dont care about the users or the network and the assistance we have been providing is falling on deaf and arrogant ears...........
I am going to help others that actually listen.
again judging and that's sad because it's not helping , anyhow i managed to check the configuration as Znevna suggested before and finally i found what's wrong , the DNS was changed to this Address 91.199.160.135 , and i changed it to the previous one .

So Thanks to him/her , the help is appreciated and the response of all of you too .

I Can say that the matter is solved now

Thanks for the creators of this forum too it really helped me alot .

Znevna
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Oct 11, 2022 2:44 pm

In networking you don't treat the symptoms (some config change) but instead it is preferrable to find the cause and eliminate it (why someone managed to change a setting without permission from your network admin).
In your case it was poor device security measures (if any).
Eliminating the problem means sending your network administrator to flip burgers or to take some classes on how to flip burgers, first.
Take it with all the salt needed.

bshanti
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Oct 11, 2022 3:00 pm

In networking you don't treat the symptoms (some config change) but instead it is preferrable to find the cause and eliminate it (why someone managed to change a setting without permission from your network admin).
In your case it was poor device security measures (if any).
Eliminating the problem means sending your network administrator to flip burgers or to take some classes on how to flip burgers, first.
Take it with all the salt needed.
I managed to find the cause and how he managed to Hack the device , Eliminate it and closed all kind of connections from outside , changed all the passwords , and finally today closed the last entrance or mistake that was in the router .

Yeah i Agree about the security measure my bad , because i'm learning as i mentioned before and it's my first time to deal with mikrotik.

why you all people like burgers so much , if you want to flip burgers go flip by yourself for me i'm a fan of Shawerma or Kabab . Also too much salt will give you high blood pressure through time i don't advice you to do that much

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Oct 11, 2022 3:12 pm

Changing anything on the router is useless. What you you need to do is netinstall. That completely cleans out any hidden codes, that you may not be aware of.
Do it the right way!! Good luck! hopefully wont happen again.