Community discussions

MikroTik App

smileymattj
Topic Author

Disable Packages in RouterOS v7

Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:17 pm

Will v7 get the ability to disable packages again like v6 had?

I know the option to hide it through skins exists. But there are several reasons why disabling can be more beneficial to some uses.

• Disabling packages is easier and faster to do than skinning. (subjective)
  • Actually turning of services/daemons frees up resources
  • Disabling of services/daemons increases security. Less to attack, and if vulnerability for something you don't use comes up; your not affected if you got it disabled.
  • Skinning doesn't simplify the CLI interface as disabling packages did
  • Skinning is more like permissions (not allowed to see), the settings still apply in the background. For example if you hide PPP, it's popular for comprised routers to have VPN tunnels that you don't recognize like a PPPoE. If you hide it and never open it. You might not realize your router has become compromised. If it's disabled, you don't have to worry about it. If it all of a sudden shows up as a menu item again, you know something is up.
  • MikroTik's interface is intimidating to novices and people coming from other brands interfaces. The easiest way I've found to walk someone through simplifying the interface to make it easier and make them feel more comfortable to poke around. Is to hide what they don't need so they don't get distracted by disabling un-needed packages. Making it less of an information overload first impression. They can feel more comfortable actually giving it a try and realize it's actually better thought out, planned, and more logical.
  • Disabling unused packages cleans up your config exports. (little OCD) For example on wired only routers wired that you don't want to use wireless and you know you'll never add a PCI or USB wireless module. You'll always have /interface wireless security-profiles set [ find default=yes ] supplicant-identity=MikroTik in your config export even though you're not using wifi. This also happens when version upgrades change the defaults settings for things. You could have lots of lines in the config for no purpose at all.

It would also be nice to be able to disable DHCP again. Lots of times on core routers I don't use DHCP Client or Servers.

Since v7 added wireguard, would be nice to have an option to disable that.

hotspot, mpls, & routing is never used 99.99% of the time for SOHO, SMB, & home routers. These are more ISP and WISP used features. An ISP provided CPE device at the home might need it. But not a home or small business owned device.
ipv6, most ISPs haven't implemented it especially in countries that have had Internet well established since the inception. Lots of people don't utilize this because their ISP doesn't support it.

The above are typically pretty safe to disable for majority of people.

ppp; IPsec is better to use, but sometimes you don't have a choice.
wireless, is optional depending on if you have wireless interface. But I just feel when you don't need it during initial install, you typically don't ever need it.

And disabling packages is never harmful. If you need them back, just re-enable them.

Screen Shot 2022-10-06 at 04.10.57.png
Screen Shot 2022-10-06 at 04.10.42.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Znevna
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Disable Packages in RouterOS v7

Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:32 pm

Will v7 get the ability to disable packages again like v6 had?
No.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:01 pm

As to disabling some of functionality, the closest is device mode, it's similar to disabling a package without uninstalling it in v6. I guess it also frees up some resources (RAM). But no, it is not possible to unbundle v7 install.

smileymattj
Topic Author

Fri Oct 07, 2022 11:55 am

I forgot about device mode. It doesn't fully cover everything packages did. It also doesn't fully disable services. It protects config changes to the specified features.

If it's not possible to disable packages due to new way of doing things in v7; it would be nice if MikroTik expands on device-mode and cover more features. Also allow device-mode to fully disable the features. Maybe set level like: Protected (changes not allowed), Disabled (Protected & disabled)

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Oct 07, 2022 12:23 pm

I admit that I didn't fully test this ... but from what MT staff explained around this forum I somehow assumed that when one sets some feature (e.g. container=no), then also related services/functionality will be disabled. Mind that device has to be restarted in order to accept the changes ...

PortalNET
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Dec 03, 2023 5:00 am

Hi guys..

so here i am also looking for the exact same thing...

basically we bought a L6 license for a 48 core dell server Dell 12th gen server.. as we plan to run it as pppoe-server with high volume.. i just came across wireless , wireguard, capsman enabled.. tried to disable it via system packages but no luck..

how can i disable it via terminal? is it possible also? as its pointless to have a BRAS server with wireless enabled on it.. for security reasons we plan to disable everything that its not being used at ALL.

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:28 am

Don't use those menus.
Simple.

I would suspect an admin running a CHR as ppoe server to know where to look and where to stay away ?

Wireless is not being USED on CHR.
It is only there to provide hooks for capsman.
It is/was exactly the same on ROS6 when it became bundled.