Community discussions

MikroTik App

DezPez
just joined
Topic Author

Simple router config for a coworking space (70 users)

Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:34 am

Hi there!

I'm software developer, basic knowledge of networking. Though, comfortable with linux and can work my way around RouterOS web interface.

I just opened a coworking space, and need to quickly configure my Mikrotik router. The currently IT guy doesn't seem to have enough experience to configure our router.

Network Hardware:
- mikrotik router (CCR2004-16G-2S+ Cloud Core Router)
running routerOS (v7.5)
- 2 WIFI access points (Cambium Networks cnPilot e410).
- - These 2 AP's are binded together - acting a single wifi network. (configured via Cambium Networks cloud service?) And are setup as a bridge on the mikrotik router

Current Network Hardware:
The router and access points setup are functioning with zero to minimal configuration. (no queues, no firewall rules).

Network Usage Requirements:
The space can hold 70 users at max capacity (so lets say, potentially 160 devices?)

Most people will be surfing the web, some will be taking skype/zoom calls, steam youtube, music etc.., and some (not all) will download large files from time to time (500MB to 1BG)

Right now we are on a 10MB (100Mbps) bandwidth line - which will eventually get upgraded.

Ideally I'm looking to:
- equally distribute user bandwidth based on the number of devices connected to the network and the given bandwidth provided by the ISP (10MBps)

My solutions thus far - based on my research (forgive me, I'm a noob):
1. Setup a PCQ that equally distribute user bandwidth (based off this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKeyrecL3uc)
2. Or... setup a fq_codel queue
3. Or... setup a Cake queue(s)

(I know options 2 and 3 are relatively new to routerOS)

Any recommendations or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

dtaht
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Simple router config for a coworking space (70 users)

Tue Oct 11, 2022 5:03 am

cake's default mode of per host/per flow fairness would be simplest. If you are natting at the router that would be
cake nat diffserv4 on both up and down.

You are going to run into severe bandwidth limitations however with that many users on the link, and it might behoove you to add some
diffserv prioritization to flows you care about like videoconferencing. I don't honestly know how to do that in mikrotik.

The paper and man page on how cake works might be of help:

https://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man8/tc-cake.8.html

https://arxiv.org/abs/1804.07617

There is also a very long thread on these forums about the options in cake, here: viewtopic.php?p=937633

McGuywer
just joined

Re: Simple router config for a coworking space (70 users)

Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:01 pm

Would a Hotspot setup work?

Is Hotspot reliable in v7.5?