Community discussions

MikroTik App

PK714
just joined
Topic Author

Which Load-Balance Technique i should use?

Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:51 pm

Hello Everyone,

I have 2 Internet Lines , the 1st one is DSL with 8 Mbps download/1 Mbps upload , and another 4G router with 20 Mbps download / 5 Mbps upload , i would like to aggregate both speeds to give the end user when downloading/uploading a file a total speed of 28Mbps / 6 Mbps , i have seen some tutorials online and i got the below issues.

1-The Download speed is aggregated , i can see from interface statistics that both WAN Links are used and from speed test it's good.
2-From the upload side , only 1 Link is used to upload at a time , it's not aggregated so i don't know why.
3-When i download a file and disconnect 1 of the WAN Link.. the download is disrupted , for exampe..if i ping 8.8.8.8 and disconnect the WAN Link the ping stops , but if i try to ping google.com it will work on the 2nd link so i am wondering if the load balance is a flow based and the flow is saved on the Mikrotik and thats the issue.
4-From mering the download speed i suppose it's a per packet load balancing , but i am not sure.
5-I have attached the topology for your reference.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Which Load-Balance Technique i should use?

Fri Oct 07, 2022 1:06 pm

You cannot aggregate speed!
Dual wan gives you.
a. redundancy in that if one provider is not available you are still providing internet for users ( need two different providers )
b. more bandwidth available to share amongst all users.

One cannot combine ISPs for a single session.
Since you have basically a 1/3 2/3 scenario, you could do pcc load balancinng where the router points users to WAN2 more frequently than WAN1.
https://mum.mikrotik.com/presentations/US12/steve.pdf

or do bandwidth based load balancing......
https://mum.mikrotik.com/presentations/US12/tomas.pdf

PK714
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Oct 07, 2022 11:22 pm

moderator note: do not quote preceding posts, use "Post Reply"
Thank you very much for the 2 PDFS , i am wondering why when i perform a speedtest from my laptop , i can see that the speed is aggregated , i get more than 30Mbps , when i disconnected the DSL Router , i get the 4G Speed , but when i download a torrent file it will just pick a single Link of the 2 WAN Links..so i assume the load balance here is per flow , i have worked on some SD-WAN Vendors Routers , they provide a per packet load balance so the 1st packet goes to 1 Link the next Packet go to the 2nd Link eventually the speed will be doubled , dunno if this is supported on Mikrotik because if it's per flow load balance then each session will use a random link , i will give the above methods a try and let you know the feedback.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Oct 07, 2022 11:27 pm

check posts from gotsprings, he has tried every sd-wan package out there for MT devices.
I think the one he has settled on is called smoothWAN