MikroTik App

christian178
Topic Author

storm-rate and ingress/egress rate limits Traffic-Storm-Control

Fri Oct 14, 2022 4:13 pm

Hi,
I have on CRS326-24S+2Q+ on may ports set

/interface ethernet switch port
set 1 egress-rate=100.0Mbps ingress-rate=20.0Mbps limit-unknown-multicasts=yes limit-unknown-unicasts=yes storm-rate=1
set 2 egress-rate=100.0Mbps ingress-rate=20.0Mbps limit-unknown-multicasts=yes limit-unknown-unicasts=yes storm-rate=1
set 3 egress-rate=100.0Mbps ingress-rate=20.0Mbps limit-unknown-multicasts=yes limit-unknown-unicasts=yes storm-rate=1
set 4 egress-rate=100.0Mbps ingress-rate=20.0Mbps limit-unknown-multicasts=yes limit-unknown-unicasts=yes storm-rate=1

Users on this Port connect via an vlan to PPPoE-Server.
Problem is, that PPPoE Users on this Port not have Download/Upload Speed of 100/20, they have only ~~70/10.

Is there a better way to limit DL UL Speed for Users on Hardware-Level in the Switch?

Christian

netzwerghh
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: storm-rate and ingress/egress rate limits Traffic-Storm-Control

Thu Feb 16, 2023 12:13 pm

Hallo Christian,

have you found a solution to your problem? We have just realized that we have a similar problem with our CRS317-1G-16S+.
If we just limit egress rate everything works as expected. But if we limit ingress and egress traffic hardly reaches configured limits.

Cheers
Dennis

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Feb 17, 2023 4:59 am

pleaso confirm what version of routeros are you running on your CRS 317

killersoft
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Feb 17, 2023 3:14 pm

PPPoE is a CPU based process last I checked.Not sure how the cpu load would look, but isnt a CRS3x a better switch than 'route/network' device.. Would a RB5009 or CCRxxxx series be better to do what you want in PPPoE and QoS..

Anyhow try CPU and use packet/connection marking in mangle and then use Queues to shape traffic...( keep an eye on the CPU load )

netzwerghh
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:08 pm

pleaso confirm what version of routeros are you running on your CRS 317
It's 7.7.

netzwerghh
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:11 pm

PPPoE is a CPU based process last I checked.Not sure how the cpu load would look, but isnt a CRS3x a better switch than 'route/network' device.. Would a RB5009 or CCRxxxx series be better to do what you want in PPPoE and QoS..

Anyhow try CPU and use packet/connection marking in mangle and then use Queues to shape traffic...( keep an eye on the CPU load )
I think you understand the original poster an me wrong. The switch is just passing the traffic. That's what a switch is for. PPPoE or anything else is made elsewhere in the network. And the CRS3xx is made for SWITCHING so has a horrible CPU for pushing packets. You will NEVER use CPU queues for traffic shaping. But the switch chip should do that. But obviously has problems.

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Feb 20, 2023 3:21 pm

Try ingress ACL to apply the limits, i made some test with 7.6 on CRS 317 and looks like it worked

joshhboss
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:53 am

Try ingress ACL to apply the limits, i made some test with 7.6 on CRS 317 and looks like it worked
Could you please show an example im having the same problem.. and handing off a port tomorrow for a client that is strictly a layer2 hand off.. So no router involved.. and I cant get the Ingress rate limit to work right..

/interface ethernet switch port ingress= does not work properly..

Im trying to accomplish.. 150/150..

Thank you !!

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:07 am

Could you please show an example im having the same problem.. and handing off a port tomorrow for a client that is strictly a layer2 hand off.. So no router involved.. and I cant get the Ingress rate limit to work right..

/interface ethernet switch port ingress= does not work properly..

Im trying to accomplish.. 150/150..

Thank you !!
already answered on another topic you created

joshhboss
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:10 am

Sorry I was kind of look for these specific commands to write the ACLs.. you did mentioned that you got them to work..
I didnt notice that in the post I created..

Sorry maybe im just barking up the wrong tree and I need to find a different switch.

I appreciate your responses.. thank you very much :)