Community discussions

MikroTik App

zolakt
just joined
Topic Author

Home network setup advice

Tue Oct 18, 2022 5:48 pm

Hi,

I'm moving into a new home, and need to set up a intermediately complex network, for all the smart device and stuff.
I pretty much decided to go with MikroTik, but I still have doubt which hardware to use.

My topology is like this:
It is a 3 story house. On the middle floor is my WAN outlet and ISP router.
There is where I plan to put my main router as well, along with a RPI running HomeAssistent etc.
From that junction I have 4 Ethernet cables running throughout the house.
1 cable is going to the floor below.
1 cable is going to the floor above.
2 cables are going to 2 separate places on the middle floor.

So, on that junction I need a router (or a router + router/switch combination), with at least 6 ports:
- 1 for my ISP modem
- 4 for Ethernet cables mentioned above
- 1 for the RPI
I could possibly need a few more ports, e.g. if I put a NAS next to the RPI.

As for the top and bottom floor, I want to cover both with their own APs and switches.
Therefore, the 2 cables that run to those floor should be connected to another AP/switch. 5 ports are enough for these.
The other 2 cables that are going to the middle floor, I just need switches on their ends, so I can connect multiple devices. 5 ports are enough for these.

So, overall I need 1 main router and 4 or 5 other router/APs/switches.

For the main router I was thinking of RB4011iGS+5HacQ2HnD-IN, since it's the only one with enough ports.
The problem is that the lead time for those is around 4 months, and I can't wait that long.
The alternative is a hap2 and another switch.

For the 2 APs/switches, on the bottom and top floor, I was also thinking hAP2, since I need APs there.
Or some cheaper alternative, e.g. hAP lite.

For the other 2, on the middle floor, I was thinking of just getting switches, so hEX or something similar.
Although the price or a hEX is the same, if not more, than a hAP. So maybe hAPs for this as well.

What are your suggestions? Which hardware to get?