Community discussions

MikroTik App

cannotdoit
just joined
Topic Author

Slow connection speeds with CapsMan

Mon Oct 24, 2022 4:22 pm

Hi everyone,

I am experiencing very slow speeds since I enabled CapsMan. On the 5Ghz band I do connection to cAP in a matter of ~40Mbps and speedtest.net results of 9Mbps. On the 2.4Ghz band I do 60Mbps to the cAP and 10Mbps on speedtest. I have a gigabit broadband.

Here is my capsman config:
[admin@csr] /caps-man> export hide-sensitive 
# jan/05/1970 03:50:54 by RouterOS 7.6
# software id = K27D-YJ4K
#
# model = CRS125-24G-1S-2HnD
# serial number = 944C08B640FD
/caps-man channel
add band=2ghz-g/n control-channel-width=20mhz extension-channel=XX name=CH2.4-auto reselect-interval=1h
add band=5ghz-n/ac control-channel-width=20mhz extension-channel=XXXX name=CH5-auto reselect-interval=1h
/caps-man datapath
add bridge=bridge local-forwarding=yes name=ProdDatapath
/caps-man security
add authentication-types=wpa2-psk encryption=aes-ccm group-encryption=aes-ccm name=ProdSec
/caps-man configuration
add channel=CH2.4-auto country="united kingdom" datapath=ProdDatapath mode=ap name=2.4Ghz-cfg security=ProdSec ssid=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx24
add channel=CH5-auto country="united kingdom" datapath=ProdDatapath mode=ap name=5Ghz-cfg security=ProdSec ssid=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx5
/caps-man manager
set enabled=yes upgrade-policy=suggest-same-version
/caps-man provisioning
add action=create-dynamic-enabled hw-supported-modes=g,gn master-configuration=2.4Ghz-cfg name-format=prefix-identity name-prefix=2GHz
add action=create-dynamic-enabled hw-supported-modes=an,ac master-configuration=5Ghz-cfg name-format=prefix-identity name-prefix=5GHz
both cAPs I am using are RBcAPGi-5acD2nD, freshly re-set without any custom config.
If I remove the capsman config and do an individual configuration on each cAP then I reach speeds of about 300-400Mbps.

I would really appreaciate any suggestion what I've got wrong.

Thanks in advance!

erlinden
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Slow connection speeds with CapsMan

Mon Oct 24, 2022 4:34 pm

The first thing I would change is setting channels and extension channels manually. Besides, 2.4GHz works best (most times) if you use 20MHz bandwidth (where 5GHz better works on 40 or 80MHz, depending on interference).

For testing purposes you better use iPerf instead of speedtest.net.

At what speed is the test device connected? And what is the RSSI?

cannotdoit
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Oct 25, 2022 4:00 pm

I did slight change to the config and moved the capsman to one of the RBcAPGi-5acD2nD, here's the new config:
# oct/25/2022 13:52:28 by RouterOS 7.6
# software id = D2RT-4QNM
#
# model = RBcAPGi-5acD2nD
# serial number = CBE50DA8B9C4
/caps-man channel
add band=2ghz-g/n control-channel-width=20mhz extension-channel=XX name=CH2.4-auto reselect-interval=1h
add band=5ghz-onlyac extension-channel=XXXX name=CH5-auto reselect-interval=1h
/caps-man datapath
add bridge=bridgeLocal client-to-client-forwarding=yes local-forwarding=yes name=ProdDatapath
/caps-man security
add authentication-types=wpa2-psk encryption=aes-ccm group-encryption=aes-ccm name=ProdSec
/caps-man configuration
add channel=CH2.4-auto datapath=ProdDatapath mode=ap name=2.4Ghz-cfg security=ProdSec ssid=1312-2
add channel=CH5-auto datapath=ProdDatapath mode=ap name=5Ghz-cfg security=ProdSec ssid=1312
/caps-man manager
set enabled=yes
/caps-man provisioning
add action=create-dynamic-enabled hw-supported-modes=g,gn master-configuration=2.4Ghz-cfg name-format=prefix-identity name-prefix=2GHz
add action=create-dynamic-enabled hw-supported-modes=an,ac master-configuration=5Ghz-cfg name-format=prefix-identity name-prefix=5GHz
[admin@capstar] /caps-man> 

And to answer your questions here:
The first thing I would change is setting channels and extension channels manually. Besides, 2.4GHz works best (most times) if you use 20MHz bandwidth (where 5GHz better works on 40 or 80MHz, depending on interference).

For testing purposes you better use iPerf instead of speedtest.net.

At what speed is the test device connected? And what is the RSSI?

I have placed 2 laptops 2 meters away from the cAP, connected them to the 5Ghz network and ran an iperf test (-t 10 -i 1 -P 4 -M 1410):
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
[ ID] Interval           Transfer     Bandwidth
[  5]   0.00-10.01  sec  0.00 Bytes  0.00 bits/sec                  sender
[  5]   0.00-10.01  sec  27.0 MBytes  22.6 Mbits/sec                  receiver
[  7]   0.00-10.01  sec  0.00 Bytes  0.00 bits/sec                  sender
[  7]   0.00-10.01  sec  20.2 MBytes  16.9 Mbits/sec                  receiver
[  9]   0.00-10.01  sec  0.00 Bytes  0.00 bits/sec                  sender
[  9]   0.00-10.01  sec  10.2 MBytes  8.56 Mbits/sec                  receiver
[ 11]   0.00-10.01  sec  0.00 Bytes  0.00 bits/sec                  sender
[ 11]   0.00-10.01  sec  23.3 MBytes  19.5 Mbits/sec                  receiver
[SUM]   0.00-10.01  sec  0.00 Bytes  0.00 bits/sec                  sender
[SUM]   0.00-10.01  sec  80.8 MBytes  67.6 Mbits/sec                  receiver
Here's a snippet from the capsman registration table that covers both laptops:

Something is wrong with this cAP and yet if I get rid of the capsman config, it is working just fine..

erlinden
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Oct 25, 2022 4:11 pm

Can you test with one client connected through wire and the other wireless?
Can you leave the MTU flag out?

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Oct 25, 2022 8:03 pm

Surprised to see those differences in speed, if "local-forwarding" is enabled.

The control(management) of the wlan interfaces is different, but the data-flow processing is identical. But we can't see the CAPsMAN setting of the WLAN interface.
The local settings remain the same in WinBox, but those are not used when the interface is managed by CAPsMAN.

The only way I know to check WLAN settings with CAPsMAN is via the transmitted beacons.
Checked them and those are identical (analysed with Wireshark). They contain many parameters, but not ALL possible settings
e.g. if WMM and more important A-MPDU aggregation is enabled or not. Those can be set in standalone but I could not find it in CAPsMAN.
Without A-MPDU then performance would be a disaster. cfr: viewtopic.php?t=165698r#p817145

With "auto" frequency selected , nothing is predictable. CAPsMAN and the next local configured run could use a different channel. This makes results unpredictable.
Only compare when using the same channel.

If "local-forwarding" is not used in CAPsMAN, i do expect different results. The queue's for CAP can be different than WLAN. The data must be transferred between WLAN and CAP interface. Some comments found on "OpenFlow", but no real information, if thats always used, still used, or obsolete. At least there is no encryption overhead. Would "priority" be used for WMM or not? And of course how does A-MPDU aggregation work?

EDIT. Probably not OpenFlow but a CAPWAP implementation, as I see UDP port 5246 and 5247 in FW connections, UDP ports as in Huawei forum, and in Cisco documentation.. https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5415.html. CAPWAP data does do fragmentation/defragmentation.