Community discussions

MikroTik App

genki
just joined
Topic Author

Can I import a .ovpn file ?

Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:55 am

Hi,

i have a .ovpn file from a VPN provider, how do I import this into the Mikrotik ?

Thanks

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Can I import a .ovpn file ?

Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:11 pm

Manually, by reading options one by one and creating same configuration in RouterOS. There's no option to import existing config file. Only for certificates and keys, if they are included directly in config (in -----BEGIN/END CERTIFICATE/PRIVATE KEY----- blocks), you can import the file as certificate and system will find this data in there. One more possible problem, OpenVPN in RouterOS doesn't have some features of original OpenVPN, so if your provider uses something "special", it may not be possible to use it with RouterOS.

genki
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:23 pm

Hi Sob,

Thanks for your reply. That's a shame, other basic routers can import .ovpn files (such as my Raspberry Pi running OpenWRT)
I will try and import the .ovpn file to see if it "finds" the certs, at least.
Yes the MT OpenVPN client menu does seem to have a limited set of config options.

I guess I could change from ExpressVPN to a Wireguard VPN provider and try that....

Thanks

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Mar 21, 2022 4:16 pm

Other basic routers probably use standard OpenVPN. MikroTik for some reason made their own forever unfinished (so far it seems) implementation. Sometimes it's enough, sometimes it isn't.

WG is better in this regard, it's standard and fully compatible, because it uses what's in Linux (which RouterOS is based on).

deadManN
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Oct 27, 2022 11:48 pm

i read my open vpn file, and did all the thing, still not working...
Only VPN working in my country currently are either very rare and special VPNs, or some OpenVpn and SoftEther... with both mikrotik wont support :| :'(