Community discussions

MikroTik App

pothi
Topic Author

PoE Out of hAP ax² to power SXT LTE Kit

Mon Oct 31, 2022 6:07 pm

Mikrotik hAP ax² has PoE-out (and PoE-in) on ether 1. Can it be used to power SXT LTE Kit?

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: PoE Out of hAP ax² to power SXT LTE Kit

Mon Oct 31, 2022 8:34 pm

Could be. Voltage supplied by stock power adapter (24V) is fine, PoE out capacity of hAP ax2 is 0.6A which translates to 14.4W. SXT LTE kit uses 5W plus whatever LTE card draws. PoE in will be less than 14.4W, depending on UTP cable length and quality. With cable length not excessively long (e.g. up to 10m) and decent cable quality it should still provide 10W+ on SXT PoE in which means 5W+ available for LTE modem. Which should suffice in most cases.

If that fails, you can still resort to using supplied PoE injector (or RBGPOE) and 48V 1A power adapter.

pothi
Topic Author

Tue Nov 01, 2022 8:17 am

Thanks for the detailed reply. That clarified most things. Currently, I use hAP ac² and SXT LTE Kit with supplied PoE injector. The cable length is 10m. I'm unsure about the quality of the cable, however, I am sure it is not low quality as I didn't buy the cheapest cable available. Looking forward to replacing hAP ac² with hAP ax². I just ordered hAP ax² and it is on the way. If hAP ax² can power SXT LTE Kit, I will save one socket / power supply to minimize the whole setup. I will update here on how it works.

pothi
Topic Author

Thu Nov 03, 2022 11:45 am

Contacted my distributor who was not very sure about it. Then contacted MikroTik official support who confirmed that hAP ax² can power SXT LTE Kit with 10m cable. I will be testing it later today or tomorrow, as I am yet to receive the product. Excited with the new capabilities!

pothi
Topic Author

Fri Nov 04, 2022 12:20 pm

I received the product only today. Upon unboxing it, I got a shock of my life. I received a power supply that is not made by MikroTik.

I can't use a product that I eagerly waited for! :(

Last edited by pothi on Fri Nov 04, 2022 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

biomesh
Long time Member
Long time Member

Fri Nov 04, 2022 1:11 pm

I have bought a lot of mikrotik devices and I don't think I have ever seen a power supply "made" by them. I am sure they buy power supplies from different vendors as needs or supply levels change.

pothi
Topic Author

Fri Nov 04, 2022 1:46 pm

Thanks.

I meant that I saw a power supply that is different from what I used to see in other products that I purchased from MikroTik. Anyway, I received the official reply from MikroTik. It seems that it is indeed *supplied* by MikroTik due to *regulations* in India.

pothi
Topic Author

Fri Nov 04, 2022 2:15 pm

Finally, I was able to test drive. PoE out of hAP ax² can supply enough power to SXT LTE Kit. Couldn't be happier with the upgraded capabilities!

Thanks to @mkx and @biomesh for your inputs!