Community discussions

MikroTik App

S1N1STAR
just joined
Topic Author

Wireless Outdoor AP - Best Use?

Wed Nov 02, 2022 9:05 pm

Hello and apologies as much searching through this forum, wiki and product info didn't really provide. We are a small public college looking to provide wifi access to students in some of our parking lots for after hours or pandemic-related access. So outdoor rated AP's that will be mounted on the upper reaches of buildings at the edge of parking lots approximately 100M square. Meraki is our current environment with MS225-series switches. We'd like to support as diverse as BYOD environment as possible due to our student demographics (rural) and can support either copper or fiber connection to the AP's and they would be wall mounted facing out toward the parking areas.

If there are any relevant case studies or similar deployment examples if not outright product suggestions it would be greatly appreciated! My only previous experience with similar is using Ubiquiti AP's to provide hangar and ramp coverage for a private airport.

Thank you!

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Wireless Outdoor AP - Best Use?

Fri Nov 04, 2022 11:38 am

Put some APs along the back of the parking lot pointed back towards the building.

You will likely have to use some PtP bridges to connect the far APs.

But as always... I don't recommend Mikrotik for client facing wifi.

The 60GHZ back hauls to link the Access Points... Absolutely.

But Tik APs carrying any sort of volume of users... I have been bitten too many times.

S1N1STAR
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Wireless Outdoor AP - Best Use?

Fri Nov 04, 2022 4:23 pm

Thanks for the feedback! I'd been previously looking at Ubiquiti for a wireless solution for a video link when MT was suggested as a better alternative for that application, so thought to explore for this other project as well. Sounds like maybe back to Ubiquiti for that one, or are there other recommendations?